JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/)
-   -   April 29 - Canuck of the Week - Jessimaaka (Jess) (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/2646931-april-29-canuck-week-jessimaaka-jess.html)

Jessimaaka April 29th, 2013 06:54 PM

April 29 - Canuck of the Week - Jessimaaka (Jess)

Totally forgot to post this...good thing this is the last one for now!

I am our last COTW :greencheer: We will follow the below schedule, but I don't have to answer it on every day, it depends how much time I have :)

This is REALLY fun if you all ask questions. So please ask questions for me in this thread, that I will hopefully have time to get to by Friday.

Want to sign up or see the schedule? Have questions on how it works? Check it out here:
http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1...nuck-week.html

MONDAY: Introduce yourself...pretty self explanatory but you can tell us as much as your comfortable about yourself, your loved ones, your job, etc.

TUESDAY: List 15 random facts about yourself. This is always a fun thing to do, and lets us get to learn more about your life that might not come up in a normal conversation

WEDNESDAY: Picture Day...if you have access to a camera, or already have pics on your computer, now is the time to show us your beautiful self, family, house, car, pets, etc. If you don't have personal pics, you can post pics you can find via Google and tell us about them and how they relate to you (example: my dream car, dream house, fantasy vacation, etc)

THURSDAY: Bucket List....make a list of 10-20 things you would like to do before you "kick the bucket"

FRIDAY: Question Friday....this is the day you'll get the chance to respond to all the questions that the ladies give you. If any questions come up that you don't feel comfortable answering, either state that, or PM the person asking to let them know you won't be answering, rather than ignoring it.

And......GO!

Jessimaaka April 29th, 2013 07:05 PM

Re: April 29 - Canuck of the Week - Jessimaak (Jess)

So, I am Jess (duh), I have a wonderful hubby Ken and we've been married for 2.5 years (together for over 10), and have one little 8.5 month boy named Cameron and a 1.5 year old 80lb American Bulldog named Alabama (Bama).

I have lived in the same city my whole life, I live a 2 minute drive to my parents and the house I grew up in. Growing up, I always did well academically, and played baseball, twirled baton (competitively), danced (recreationally), snowboarded and such. I am the oldest of 5 kids (2 brothers and 2 sisters), and my parents are still married to each other - its their 30th anniversary this year.

I have held jobs as a dance/baton teacher, a server, Tim Hortons, Swiss Chalet, an external financial auditor, and now I am on mat leave from Manulife where I am a senior financial analyst in Individual Wealth.

I have never been a big TV watcher until being on mat leave :lol: I have a whole schedule every night now, not sure how this will shake out when I go back to work!

I guess I'll save some info for the random facts day :D Ask away!!!

crunchywannabe April 29th, 2013 07:53 PM

What are some of your favorite "non reality" shows to watch?

What are the pros/cons of living so close to your parents?
Does DH feel the same way?

Do you live close to his parents as well?

Where did the name Cameron come from?

What made you decide on your dog's breed, name etc?

2pinks&ablue April 29th, 2013 08:46 PM

Re: April 29 - Canuck of the Week - Jessimaaka (Jess)

Share your tv schedule with us :lol:

Who do you predict to win Big Brother?!

What are your favourite things to do with Cam?

Jessimaaka April 30th, 2013 04:17 PM

15 random facts

1. I am a virgo
2. I love the colour cobalt blue
3. Michael Jackson reminds me of my childhood (it was always on in the background!)
4. I lived at home till I was 24 :o
5. I separated my shoulder and split the upper arm bone down to my elbow snowboarding
6. I cut off a part of my left index finger with a floppy disk! (remember those? :lol:)
7. I have my boating licence
8. I love bonfires in the summer
9. I HATE mushrooms :yuck:
10. I take 2 sugar and 1 milk in my coffee!
11. My honeymoon to the Domincan is the only time I've ever left Canada
12. I've been to Vancouver when I was about 2 years old, and in 2011 went to St. Johns NFLD...I haven't visited any of the other provinces or territories!
13. I am not a skirt/dress person at all!
14. I never leave the house without hand lotion and hand sanitizer
15. I collect Betty Boop items :D

2pinks&ablue May 1st, 2013 08:49 AM

I love Betty Boop! What is your favourite item in your collection?

crunchywannabe May 1st, 2013 11:16 AM

Where did you stay in the DR?
What was your favorite part of that trip?

What is the farthest you've driven from home?

What part of Canada do you want to see most?

Jessimaaka May 1st, 2013 04:37 PM

Ok so some pictures. I clear out my photobucket every couple of months, so there's not a whole whole lot and its a bit random lol.

Our first family picture:
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...a/100_0042.jpg

Ready to brave the Canadian winter:
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...psddc6777e.jpg

Me with some Betty stuff...including my favourite piece - my 'butler' :lol:
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8bb77c7c.jpg

Me at my wedding - Nov 6, 2010
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...psfb7c4225.jpg

Me and DH when we had been dating for about a month - so this is about Apr 2003
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6b0fcb9d.png

Making the transition from co-sleeping to sleeping in his crib
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...ps75208013.jpg

On our way to a baby shower
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3476efe3.jpg

On our way to a walk a couple weeks ago
http://i1198.photobucket.com/albums/...psc89f873b.jpg

crunchywannabe May 1st, 2013 06:20 PM

Oh so cute!

How long did you co sleep for?
What were the pros and cons for your family?

What were your wedding colours?

Countrymom4 May 1st, 2013 09:29 PM

my brain is fried :rolleyes: I will have to think of a question.

Jessimaaka May 2nd, 2013 06:04 AM

Bucket List
- Visit Croatia and DH's family there
- Get a tattoo
- Learn to drive a motorcycle
- Learn to drive standard properly
- Visit some other places in Europe (England, France, Italy to start haha)
- Have two more children
- Have a ceiling fan in my bedroom
- Visit Bora Bora (just because haha)
- Go on a cruise
- Run a 5K
- Buy a piece of real art

This is hard haha! I have accomplished a lot of things that were on my list including getting my CA, buying a house, getting married, etc.

2pinks&ablue May 2nd, 2013 07:59 AM

Cute pictures!

Any idea what/where you like to get your tattoo?
What is your favourite piece of art?

Jessimaaka May 2nd, 2013 07:16 PM

Here we go...

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchywannabe (Post 27326516)
What are some of your favorite "non reality" shows to watch?

What are the pros/cons of living so close to your parents?
Pros: a destination to walk to, they have a hot tub pool and sauna, they feed us Sunday dinner, if I needed to someone would be home for me to drop him off to
Cons: not many actually, they are really good about respecting our privacy and not showing up on our doorstep

Does DH feel the same way?
As far as I know!

Do you live close to his parents as well?
Sort of. His dad is about 20 minutes away, but his mom is about an hour - so none of them super far

Where did the name Cameron come from?
Its a name both of us liked. We didn't want to pick names after family because what if one side was honoured and the other doesn't end up? So it is his and his alone, and just one that we both liked.

What made you decide on your dog's breed, name etc?
We researched two breeds based on recommendations (Dogue de Bordeax, American Bulldog), and determined that the AmBull was a better fit for our family (more energy, smaller, easier to find locally and was more cost effective by like $1000! to name a few). Alabama (Bama) was chosen because we wanted a short girl name that would be easy for kids to say! But a formal longer name for when she is in trouble :p and most other dogs around here are Molly and Lucy (don't know why haha)

Round 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pinks&ablue (Post 27326658)
Share your tv schedule with us :lol:
Monday-Friday at 7pm is two episodes of Big Bang Theory
Monday - The Voice
Tuesday - The Voice
Wednesday - Big Brother Canada and then Duck Dynasty for DH
Thursday - Big Bang Theory (new episode), Greys, and Big Brother Canada but I watch that Friday mornings
Friday - usually we watch a movie on TV or catch up on stuff we missed during the week

Who do you predict to win Big Brother?!
I think it will end up being Emmett, although I still hope Gary wins!

What are your favourite things to do with Cam?
Go for walks, lay on the ground while he climbs all over me, watch him play with Bama, go to Babytime at the library, swimming lessons, middle of the night cuddles...pretty much everything we do together. It is going to be VERY difficult to go back to work :(

Jessimaaka May 2nd, 2013 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pinks&ablue (Post 27331094)
I love Betty Boop! What is your favourite item in your collection?

I posted a picture of it in my one post - the statue - its an antique, and she is at our front door and welcomes our visitors! The picture was of the day my grandparents gave it to me, they found it at an auction.

Jessimaaka May 2nd, 2013 07:28 PM

Round 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchywannabe (Post 27331526)
Where did you stay in the DR?
We went to Gran Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado in Samana. It is an island off the coast and you have to take a boat to get there. It was AMAZING! Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado- Hotels in Samana

What was your favorite part of that trip?
It was after the chaos of the wedding, it was just me and DH, no responsibilities, unlimited alcohol and good food, sunny and no rain, I didn't get sunburnt, I read on the beach, swam in salt water, went 4-wheeling on the beach...it was just amazing! I can't pick just one part!

What is the farthest you've driven from home?
Driven, probably 4 hours East of me, straight up the 401 so nothing special :(

What part of Canada do you want to see most?
I want to drive across it and take it all in...I have seen Ontario and NFLD....and every province and territory has its own unique things that I can't just name one.

Jessimaaka May 2nd, 2013 07:39 PM

Round 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchywannabe (Post 27332856)
Oh so cute!

How long did you co sleep for?
We co-slept for 6.5 months. I wasn't planning to co-sleep at all, and then we spent the first 3 weeks on the couch, him sleeping on my chest. Then I kicked DH into the spare room and Cam and I got our bed. We tried a couple times adding DH in but it didn't work...a queen size bed is NOT big enough for 3 people! And DH is a VERY sound sleeper and it made me super nervous that he would roll over on him. Anyways, we continued because he was up so often. I tried several times to transition him to the pack n play, which is where we planned for him to sleep for the first 6 months. It didn't work. Finally, I wondered if he was waking so often because he would move and wake me, and I in turn would move and wake him. We were able to transition him successfully within a week. Unfortunately he is up almost as often and now instead of rolling over and popping a boob in, I have to get up, go across the hall, pick him up etc. However, I tried bringing him back in with me and he now will only sleep in his crib. It saved my sanity for the first 6 months for sure.

And just to add to the DH deep sleeping...when I was in the hospital the night Cam was born, I ended up with a c-section and was frozen from the chest down, and DH was supposed to give him to me every time he woke...I ended up having to call the nurse to wake him up, and another time I moved Cam's bassinet slamming it into the cot he was sleeping in to try and wake him since I threw stuff at him and it didn't wake him up. That is not safe for co-sleeping for sure!

What were the pros and cons for your family?
Pros:
+ more sleep for me
+ easier for breastfeeding
+ awesome bond in the morning watching him open his eyes in my arms
+ knew at any given time he was breathing
+ very in tune with him

Cons:
- DH was a bit left out since we couldn't comfortably fit all 3 of us in there
- I am a tummy sleeper and I couldn't sleep on my tummy the whole time (I slept on my side curled around him)
- He has developed a reliance on breastfeeding to fall back asleep during the middle of the night and we are still working to remove that association - its an extremely painful process!

What were your wedding colours?
Cobalt blue and silver (and white by default)

Round 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pinks&ablue (Post 27333935)
Cute pictures!

Any idea what/where you like to get your tattoo?
I used to want a Betty Boop pinup on my ankle, but now I'm thinking I'm going to wait until I am finished having children and do something with their birthdates.

What is your favourite piece of art?
I don't really have one...but I want something...I just have no idea what yet! And I want to put it above the mantle and fireplace.

magz88 May 3rd, 2013 09:53 PM

Sorry I missed this week. Nice to learn more about you.