JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/)
-   -   Scared in the night (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/2648528-scared-night.html)

mccaroline May 6th, 2013 09:53 AM

Scared in the night

No, not the kids. Me!

I've always had a fear of someone breaking into our house at night when I'm sleeping. Well last night I was scared out of my mind and of course DH was at work.

I'm in bed it's about midnight, I'm asleep but not in a deep sleep. All of a sudden I hear my screen door open. It has a very distinctive squeak that DH hasn't fixed yet. At first I thought it was the neighbours coming home drunk and they would realize it wasn't their house when the key didn't fit. But I kept hearing noises and none of them were of the screen door shutting. So I very bravely get up and turned on the light in the hall by the front door thinking that would make the person realize someone was home and they would go away. That didn't work. So I bravely went downstairs and turned on the outdoor light thinking that would do it for sure. No such luck, I still hear someone out there. Enter panic mode! I then, in the bravest voice I could manage, yelled out the front window "May I help you?"

A voice answered.

"It's me, D from across the street!"

OMG! I've never been so thankful to hear her voice in all my life! DD1 had asked her for some seeds from her flower garden for a project at school and she had forgot about them. Apparently when she was laying in bed last night she suddenly remembered and knowing that DD1 leaves very early in the morning for school she wanted to make sure DD1 had them before she left. So she got up, got dressed and brought them over. She didn't want to leave them in the mailbox for fear that we wouldn't see them in the morning so she was taping them to the inside of my screen door!

We're laughing about it this morning, but I'm telling you I was seriously scared last night.

Tell me I'm not the only one who gets freaked out by things like that. When was the last time you were really scared about something?

crunchywannabe May 6th, 2013 10:09 AM

Re: Scared in the night

Nope not at all!!! Where we live now, if I heard someone opening our door I would grab the shotgun...

When I lived in the city in an apartment Dh had been deployed for months, and I wasn't sleeping. I constantly "thought" I was hearing noises like someone opening up our 2nd storey balcony window, or the front door. I would check the locks repeatedly, but nothing helped with the anxiety, until I made a list before bed every night of the things I did (ie locked the door, chained the door, put broomstick handle in the balcony door etc etc) it really helped with not needing to check!

mccaroline May 6th, 2013 10:55 AM

The thing is I did do my check last night. I looked at the back door, the patio door, locked the front door and shut the front window. I knew I was as safe as I could get without someone physically breaking the door or a window to get in. Hearing someone at the door in the middle of the night though seriously freaked me out even knowing I was locked in.

Irish_Wristwatch May 6th, 2013 10:58 AM

oh man that would have scared the poop right out of me! How nice of your neighbour to do that for DD though

2pinks&ablue May 6th, 2013 11:45 AM

I would be scared too!

DH as working night shift about a year and a half ago and I woke up and could have sworn there was someone walking under my open bedroom window. I was terrified, called my Dad and everything :lol: When he finally convinced me to peek out, it was deer lol.

magz88 May 6th, 2013 02:23 PM

I get scared driving on the highway.

Jessimaaka May 6th, 2013 03:44 PM

That's scary but nice of your neighbour!

DH is gone from time to time for work and I constantly wake up and think I hear things. So far no one has been there though!

mccaroline May 6th, 2013 05:31 PM

Thank you ladies, I don't feel quite so much like a chicken now. All I could think was that I'm a grown woman scared in my own house! Something didn't seem right about that. Knowing I'm not the only one who would be scared in that situation makes me feel so much better.

Jessimaaka May 6th, 2013 07:15 PM

Some things we'll never outgrow :p

sweety_pie May 7th, 2013 04:49 AM

I would seriously freak over that too!! I'm always paranoid about that kinda stuff as well!