JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/)
-   -   Made up words (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/2651025-made-up-words.html)

mccaroline May 16th, 2013 11:15 AM

Made up words

Did/do any of your kids use made up words? Do you know what they mean?

-----

DD1 used bow-bow for elbow for the longest time, I don't think she really stopped until she started school.

DD2 I don't remember using a made up word for anything, she mispronounced words but didn't make up her own words.

DS has the word a-ba-dee, I have no idea what it means. He'll say it repeatedly and when I don't figure out what he wants when he says it he gets mad, but I'm clueless on this one. So far it doesn't mean apple juice, ups a daisy, or I'm happy.

2pinks&ablue May 16th, 2013 11:23 AM

Re: Made up words

I don't remember my oldest two using many made-up words, and Hannah isn't talking yet, but Sophia has a few. The first one that came to mind is "mankie", her blankie, I think it's a combination of my and blankie. She also names her dolls, "Doozy" is her favourite :wub:

MindyRambo May 17th, 2013 07:24 AM

GD2 doesn't really make up words, but she says "encore" about a million times a day lol. It means either more, or again depending on context :) If it's milk, it means more, if it's a game, it means again.

crunchywannabe May 17th, 2013 09:02 AM

The girls I nannied used to call their belly button a "Be-B0" but that was from some book they read over and over again. I don't see anything wrong with children using made up names or words when they have a decent grasp on language.

I don't know what it is but I get so frustrated with adults who adopt children's made up words especially when they are still developing speech. My husband's grandparents care for their great grandson who is 20 mo, and when he says a word that sounds made up or is mis pronounced they go with it and it drives me bonkers. For example offering him a "ba" (bottle) It just gets under my skin. Or for older children making up words for their reproductive organs. Really, I know it's not the same thing, but I just needed to get that off my shoulders ;)

Kelz88 May 17th, 2013 10:59 AM

My little ones used a few

woah woah for a puppy or dog
ya ya for hurt

and bup bo for all gone, this was my favorite because they had a little sign language type thing to go with it.

Also the twins used to click their tongues back and forth to one another when the woke up in the morning, it was the cutest thing :)

mccaroline May 17th, 2013 05:53 PM

DS is in a stage of adding an exaggerated "ee" sound to everything. A robin is a robeee, yogurt is yogeee that sort of thing, it's driving me nuts. I'm not sure if he's making up new words for these things or can't say them so this is his solution.

Jessimaaka May 17th, 2013 07:44 PM

Cam isn't old enough yet, but I used to say "gobba gobba gee" when I wanted my mom to read to me and "vee a vee a vee" meant I wanted to go on the swing. My mom has no idea where I came up with these but once I started saying sentences I stopped. I was weird lol.

2pinks&ablue May 18th, 2013 08:53 AM

I thought of another one, Sophia calls the dress up swords the kids have "meeeka" and I have no idea why :lol:

Jess, don't feel bad, I used to call an umbrella "wadda wadda" and when I said the alphabet it was "L, M, N, O, P, Cute Baby, R, S..." :lol:

mccaroline May 19th, 2013 05:44 PM

Love it!

I thought of another one too, baths are dub-dubs. As in rub-a-dub-dub three men in a tub. I guess I said that too much to DS while he was bathing because now he doesn't have a bath, just a dub-dub.

Jessimaaka May 20th, 2013 10:17 AM

We were away this weekend with our friends and they have a 16 month old...she has stopped calling her dad "dada", and calls him "nana" :lol: