JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/)
-   -   Farmer's Markets (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/2662218-farmers-markets.html)

mccaroline June 28th, 2013 06:53 PM

Farmer's Markets

Do you go to any? Is it a regular thing or a special treat to go? What do you find are the best deals?

There's a market that's open every Saturday near our new house. My mom and I used to go every weekend when I was growing up and that's where we got all our fruit and veggies for the week. I haven't been to one in years but I want to take the girls tomorrow. If they're still there they used to have the best fry trucks there, so we're going to have lunch and then see what we can find that the girl will eat for the week.

Jessimaaka June 29th, 2013 06:00 AM

Re: Farmer's Markets

We're not far from the St. Jacobs farmers market but I find that so incredibly busy so I just go to our downtown market...smaller, less busy, more food than stuff, and sometimes better prices (usually relatively comparable).

We go at least once a month and buy all our meat in bulk and we get our veggies and fruit for the week there when we go.

mccaroline June 29th, 2013 06:08 AM

I can't buy much meat when we go, I don't have my big freezer at this house yet, so I'm only buying what we can eat right away. I don't even know what else is there anymore so I think most of our time will just be spent looking around.

RinkMom June 29th, 2013 06:40 AM

We have a small local one that we only go to sometimes as a special treat. Last weekend we went and bought a pie and strawberries.

I used to go to the St Jacobs one when I was at UW and it was always so busy.

crunchywannabe June 29th, 2013 11:18 AM

There is a TINY farmers market in our area, but it is rarely worth going. There are literally 3 tables with the haul out of someone's garden, and they usually are selling the same things that I have. The only thing we usually get are some hutterite sausages, and that's about it.

Near Winnipeg (St. Norbert) there is a HUGE farmers market with all kinds of food and goods! I've only ever been there once and it was nice, but it wasn't that cheap...

mccaroline June 29th, 2013 12:41 PM

We had a good time, I think I'll go on a regular basis now that it's close. I got 6 quarts of blueberries for $5, a watermelon for $2, a large bag of cucumbers for $2, a basket of tomatoes for $1.25, 2 bags of bagels, a bag of hot dog buns and a loaf of bread all fresh baked for $5 total, a tub of the garlic spread I like and the girls talked me into a big bag of kettle corn. If I knew what to do with eggplant everyone was selling eggplants really cheap and I was offered a 50lb bag of potatoes for $5, but what on earth would I do with 50lbs of potatoes??

Jessimaaka June 29th, 2013 07:35 PM

LOL 50lbs is insane! I'm glad you had a good time :)

Countrymom4 June 30th, 2013 06:36 AM

:lol: I just bought 2 20lbs bags of potatos :eek: But I am feeding a forage harvest crew.......

Farmers market, we have one but same a Kalynn . A couple tables with veggies out of their garden.

mccaroline June 30th, 2013 06:44 PM

LOL! Somehow I just knew you would be the one who could use that many potatoes!

2pinks&ablue July 2nd, 2013 08:47 AM

We go through a ton of potatoes too!

We have a small market about 5 minutes from home that we go to every couple of weeks, and a huge one about an hour away that we like to go to a couple of times each summer :)