JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/)
-   -   First Prenatal Appointment (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/2669654-first-prenatal-appointment.html)

Jessimaaka August 2nd, 2013 06:24 AM

First Prenatal Appointment

Do you remember approximately when you went to yours?

I called yesterday, and my appointment is August 27....I'll be 8 weeks! That seems late to me...I'm going to call today and see if I can get in earlier...I called over lunch and I'm wondering if the receptionist was a fill-in while the regular ones were on lunch and she doesn't realize the time sensitivity? We want to tell the grandparents but not until its confirmed by a medical professional...and they'd be sad to wait that long!!!

mccaroline August 2nd, 2013 06:33 AM

Re: First Prenatal Appointment

For my first one that I didn't know I was pregnant and I went in feeling sick, they got me in the next day and I was only a couple of weeks. With DD2 I called and asked for a pregnancy test and found out I was 3 or 4 weeks. With DS I had done a home test and when I called I asked for a prenatal apt and they had me wait until close to 10 weeks for it.

I think it's all in the way you word it. If you know your pregnant they make you wait if you ask for a test they get you in faster but just do the bloodwork not a full prenatal apt. At least that was my experience.

Jessimaaka August 2nd, 2013 08:25 AM

Well, I called. They said they consider me pregnant. So I wait till 8 weeks. But I'm on the cancellation list. Its a 40 minute appointment so its a hard one to schedule. Oh well, I'll just roll with it and hope I get in earlier!

mccaroline August 2nd, 2013 08:30 AM

Awe, that's too bad that you have to wait. I hope you get in sooner on a cancelation.

Irish_Wristwatch August 2nd, 2013 11:05 AM

i want to say i was 8 weeks each time

Ever August 2nd, 2013 05:05 PM

Your appointment will be 40 minutes?? I don't think any of my OB appointments lasted longer than 5!

I was about 8 weeks pregnant when I got my first appointment with both babies. I don't know why they wait so long.

Jessimaaka August 2nd, 2013 05:24 PM

This appointment is just with my family doctor...I'd have to get a referral to an OB from them, and the form for the u/s. I don't understand why its 40 minutes....they'll weigh me, take my blood pressure, and some quick questions, especially as this isn't my first time now...but whatever...I'll roll with it at this point. I've contacted the midwives and waiting for a response, and I have a meeting set up with a doula (who incidentally I met first on JM, and turns out we have an IRL mutual friend hahaha). I haven't met her IRL before though.

crunchywannabe August 3rd, 2013 12:32 PM

I didn't have my first appointment until 12 weeks. It was no big deal to me to wait. I had 2 positive digital tests, and felt like garbage, that was all the confirmation I needed. What can they do at 8 weeks that can't wait until 12? We told our parents when we found our, and waited until after I heard the heartbeat to announce to our friends and the rest of our family!

Kalia20 August 13th, 2013 03:19 PM

I was under the assumption unless you're a high risk they make you wait. I have a MW only saw her once so far it was more or less a where do you live appt and the next one on the 21st will be the medical and my physical exam, she said the appts last about an hour. Really? My OB was, how you feeling? "Oh Im really tired this isnt normal". Oh youre pregnant its normal to be tired. "not like this it's different because......." oh I have another patient see you next month. Wonderful. He wasnt BAD just very rushed.

Jessimaaka August 13th, 2013 03:51 PM

And its reasons like that that I have a midwife appointment on Sept 10!

sweety_pie August 14th, 2013 04:49 AM

I would say 8-12 weeks sounds about normal here too. I went in earlier this time though due to me having 2 close back to back losses. Even then I waited until 7 weeks though, because it was less stress!