JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Canadian Mommies (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/)
-   -   Winter Sports (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f147-canadian-mommies/2686075-winter-sports.html)

Jessimaaka October 15th, 2013 06:35 PM

Winter Sports

Do you or any of your kids play any winter sports?

mccaroline October 15th, 2013 07:50 PM

Re: Winter Sports

Ringette, but you all knew that and it's seriously becoming a year round sport not just a winter sport.

Irish_Wristwatch October 16th, 2013 04:42 AM

not, but they are still really young, maybe they will be into one in the future (but gosh i hope they dont all love hockey, i hear thats a pricey sport)

mccaroline October 16th, 2013 05:10 AM

All sports are expensive! If they play hockey, just avoid being a goalie.

Irish_Wristwatch October 16th, 2013 07:03 AM

haha i will keep that in mind!

mccaroline October 16th, 2013 07:54 AM

Good and bad about goalie. Good - often times goalies get free ice time. Bad - the equipment is outrageously priced, thousands of dollars just for the pads, not including the mask, gloves and stick.

I'm so happy my DD is a forward. LOL!

Jessimaaka October 16th, 2013 09:07 AM

Lol, my family is a hockey family (I grew up in the arenas) and DH's family is a soccer family. Not sure where we'll end up but Cam already has his first pair of hockey skates....:lol:

mccaroline October 16th, 2013 04:53 PM

That's awesome Jess! I had all my kids on ice the winter after their first birthday too.

Jessimaaka October 16th, 2013 05:37 PM

He actually got them at his baby shower when he was like 5 weeks old :lol: They're a size 7 which is apparently the smallest Bauer makes, but he's wearing size 6 shoes so I kinda can't wait!!!

Irish_Wristwatch October 17th, 2013 05:19 AM

i couldnt imagine trying to take my kids skating this little, i can just see the disaster in my head LOL probably because i dont skate either, id be on my butt as much as them!

mccaroline October 17th, 2013 06:24 PM

LOL! That's like my DH Bree. I take the kids and have taught them all to skate because DH can't skate at all and only pictures broken ankles when I take them skating so young.

Jessimaaka October 17th, 2013 06:45 PM

I'm hoping my dad will...DH can't skate worth crap. And I haven't been on skates in quite a few years.

2pinks&ablue October 24th, 2013 06:32 AM

Rylan is all registered for hockey and his first practice is this weekend! Alyssa and Sophia will be in skating lessons, and DH plays hockey too. We're an arena family.

And sidenote, this is DS' first year of hockey and he's already saying he wants to play goalie *sigh* :lol:

mccaroline October 24th, 2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pinks&ablue (Post 27756284)
And sidenote, this is DS' first year of hockey and he's already saying he wants to play goalie *sigh* :lol:

LOL! Talk him out of it!! DD1 wanted to be a ringette goalie until she got to novice, even the first half of her first year of that she wanted to be goalie until one coach was brutally honest with her and told her she was a terrible goalie and an awesome forward so she had better get used to her position. She likes forward now.

Jessimaaka October 24th, 2013 07:18 AM

:giggle:

My dad was a goalie. Both my brothers were forwards. We'll see where Cam ends up.

2pinks&ablue October 24th, 2013 08:08 AM

:giggle: My Dad, and DH's Dad, were both goalies. But DH was a forward for the first few years, and has been defense since.

RinkMom November 6th, 2013 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2pinks&ablue (Post 27756284)
Rylan is all registered for hockey and his first practice is this weekend! Alyssa and Sophia will be in skating lessons, and DH plays hockey too. We're an arena family.

I run the TimBits group in our organization, most kids want to be goalies when they first start. Then they like scoring goals once they become more secure with their skating.

Having said that. My 10 year old has been a goalie since he started hockey. Believe me, goalies have unique personalities. It is more expensive and so stressful to be a goalie mom. My youngest (6) is an amazing skater but is showing goalie tendencies. The other two are power forwards.

#5in2005 November 6th, 2013 01:43 PM

we all ski and snowboard. We have a hill 20 minutes from our house, and pay $400 for a family pass, and buy our stuff used (and pass it down) so in the grand scheme of things it's not as pricey as other stuff. We like it because you can still do your own thing, but you're at that same place. The hill is small enough that our kids can just go off with their friends and are still fine.
It's great to be outside and active, yet still be together and not be driving everyone all over the place.