JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Car Seat Safety (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f705-car-seat-safety/)
-   -   My 4 year old out growing the Radian FF? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f705-car-seat-safety/2640088-my-4-year-old-out-growing-radian-ff.html)

Mommy2Maddox April 2nd, 2013 11:43 PM

My 4 year old out growing the Radian FF?

Can someone tell me if this is the typical age a child outgrows the Radian forward facing? For some reason, I just thought he would get at least another year FF in his Radian XTSL but he is on the highest slot and his shoulders are just about even with the shoulder straps. He's always been fairly tall for his age, sometimes he's dropped into the average range only to shoot up into the taller percentages again but he also has a long torso, so I'm guessing this is the reason. Would the next best seat for us be the Britax Frontier? He is long and skinny. I am not sure how tall, somewhere in the 40s in inches and less thean 35 or less pounds. He's a little string bean.

ETA: he just turned 4 on March 23rd and his 4 year check up is on April 17th so I will know exact stats then.

BeachMum April 3rd, 2013 05:28 AM

Re: My 4 year old out growing the Radian FF?

I'm not sure, my 4 year old (he turned 4 in January) and is still fine in his and he's 40 lbs and 40 inches.

Mommy2Maddox April 3rd, 2013 03:59 PM

He's way more than 40", he was 40" at his 3 year check up.

amylynne01 April 4th, 2013 05:04 AM

What size shirt does he wear? Typically the Radian will last to size 5/6 shirts. If he's wearing those, then it's entirely possible he's outgrowing it now.

My oldest is 43" and 42lbs and has less than a yr in her XTSL. She wears size 5 shirts.

starryeyedme04 April 8th, 2013 05:50 PM

With the radians, you can also use the harness slightly below the shoulders i believe. I'd probably go with the frontier next.

Did a quick scan on cs. to double check and saw someone mentioned it in a thread. Diono is the only seat to allow that.

amylynne01 April 9th, 2013 12:17 PM

But the headwings on the XTSL will prohibit that. You can get an extra 0.5-1" out of the other two models if you allow shoulders over the highest harness slot. The XTSL is pretty much outgrown completely when the shoulders hit the top harness slot.

The top slot on the Radian is 17.5". Other options for a seat after the Radian would be Harmony Defender (18.5" top slot) or the Frontier (20" top slot). The Defender would buy you a year-ish, but the Frontier would get you another 2 years at least. If you use the Frontier in booster mode until he outgrows it, it really could be the last seat you need. The belt fit on the Defender is good, but you'd need a backless booster down the road (like 3-4 years from now).

LABs April 19th, 2013 01:38 AM

I have my huge nearly 4 yr old in the Frontier. He wears a size 6. Hes always been in the 98% for height. I love his seat! It doesn't have a tall base, so its the same size as our Boulevard shell size. Then the head wings go up so it fits my big girls. The only thing is I need to lift up the headrest to get it to install in my van. Not a big deal, but common. He loves his seat too. We have the cowmoo and its held up really well through the last 2 yrs. I hope to keep him harnessed for a few more yrs before using it as a booster.

LesliLCabezas July 27th, 2013 02:53 AM

My baby wears a size 3 and he is just 2yrs.