JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Car Seat Safety (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f705-car-seat-safety/)
-   -   Installation Advice? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f705-car-seat-safety/2648016-installation-advice.html)

SkyBaby May 3rd, 2013 02:06 PM

Installation Advice?
 
I just got a tether anchor installed in my car, a 1999 Ford Explorer 2 door. What was weird was they only installed one on the far right side of my trunk space, see photos:

Close up of the anchor:
http://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...6be043ed6c.jpg

A wider shot to show exactly where it is in my trunk. The anchor is underneath the little tab of fabric sticking up:
http://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.just...f6bdbbf090.jpg

My questions are: Do I need to take my car back in to install another one a little further to the left or is only one anchor safe? The tethers on Lily's car seat are way to short to stretch all the way back there so where can I find extra tether straps to add more length?

Thanks!

Edited for an update:

I think, after an hour of googling and reading about it, I found the solution. I read about something called a locking clip for the seat belt. Using that instead of the locking mechanism of our seat belt (that kind where you pull it all the way out and it makes that ratchet sound going back in, preventing slack from being pulled back out), took away the tilt and made it so much more stable. I also ended up rolling up a couple of towels and putting them under the seat so her car seat sits level. Those two things together made a world of difference. Took me 2 hours of messing with it to get it better but I'm still not 100% satisfied, but I am confident enough with the snugness of it to say its safer than forward facing her at this point. I still feel the need to get a new car though.

amylynne01 May 4th, 2013 10:58 AM

Re: Installation Advice?
 
I honestly have no idea on its safety. Seems like a weird place for it. Are you on FB? If you are, there's a group called "Car Seats for the Littles". All kinds of car seat techs and advocates who are really knowledgeable. I would post your question there because I think you'll get the answers you need.

Are you trying to tether the RFing seat that's in front of the tether anchor? It looks like a Safety 1st seat?? If it is, you cannot tether it while RFing. If I'm wrong, tell me what seat you have. Only Britax, Diono, and Combi allows for it.

SkyBaby May 4th, 2013 01:28 PM

Re: Installation Advice?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amylynne01 (Post 27339366)
I honestly have no idea on its safety. Seems like a weird place for it. Are you on FB? If you are, there's a group called "Car Seats for the Littles". All kinds of car seat techs and advocates who are really knowledgeable. I would post your question there because I think you'll get the answers you need.

Are you trying to tether the RFing seat that's in front of the tether anchor? It looks like a Safety 1st seat?? If it is, you cannot tether it while RFing. If I'm wrong, tell me what seat you have. Only Britax, Diono, and Combi allows for it.

Thanks so much for the advice! I'll take a look at that Facebook group for sure.

crunchywannabe May 4th, 2013 02:48 PM

Re: Installation Advice?
 
Yeah, they installed an anchor for a top tether (for FF seats) not to use with the UAS (latch). If your seatbelt is switchable (makes the ratcheting noise while retracting) you shouldn't need the locking clip. It could just be more difficult to get it tighter bassed on the style of seat. I wouldn't however argue with a 'like a rock' install using the locking clip if that's what it takes for you to get the job done.

When it is time to turn her FF, you would use the anchor on the floor for the top tether, and if it was installed by the manufacturer of your vehicle than it would be considered fine that it's off center. Do not attach more than one tether to this anchor.

SkyBaby May 5th, 2013 07:12 PM

Re: Installation Advice?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchywannabe (Post 27339600)
Yeah, they installed an anchor for a top tether (for FF seats) not to use with the UAS (latch). If your seatbelt is switchable (makes the ratcheting noise while retracting) you shouldn't need the locking clip. It could just be more difficult to get it tighter bassed on the style of seat. I wouldn't however argue with a 'like a rock' install using the locking clip if that's what it takes for you to get the job done.

When it is time to turn her FF, you would use the anchor on the floor for the top tether, and if it was installed by the manufacturer of your vehicle than it would be considered fine that it's off center. Do not attach more than one tether to this anchor.

Yes my seat belt is the switchable kind. It tipped sideways at an extreme angle pulled as tight as it would get, before I tried the locking clip instead. Using the locking clip instead of the seat belt's built in lock was what it took to get that super snug fit and next to no tilt. I assume I can't use the seat belt's built in lock and the locking clip simultaneously, but that's ok. I found something that works for us. Having to move the car seat into another car for a day would be a real nightmare though lol.

The anchor was installed by a Ford dealer if that's what you mean.

amylynne01 May 6th, 2013 12:37 PM

Re: Installation Advice?
 
You cannot lock the seat belt AND use the locking clip. If you use the locking clip, don't lock the seat belt. Make sure the locking clip is less than 1" from the latchplate, and it needs to be either totally IN the belt path of the car seat or totally OUT of the belt path.

SkyBaby May 10th, 2013 09:09 AM

Re: Installation Advice?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by amylynne01 (Post 27343489)
You cannot lock the seat belt AND use the locking clip. If you use the locking clip, don't lock the seat belt. Make sure the locking clip is less than 1" from the latchplate, and it needs to be either totally IN the belt path of the car seat or totally OUT of the belt path.

I am only using the locking clip, not the seat belt's locking mechanism. I just check the seat belt regularly to make sure it hasn't locked up. The locking clip is about a half inch above the latch plate if that and totally out of the belt path of her car seat.

If anyone else has the same issue I had, this is the website I used and it very much came in handy.

http://www.carseatsite.com/lockingclips.htm


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.