JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Catholic Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f155-catholic-parenting/)
-   -   Ideas for celebrating Baptism anniversary? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f155-catholic-parenting/615013-ideas-for-celebrating-baptism-anniversary.html)

lizzy27 June 19th, 2007 08:03 AM

Every year DH's mom makes DH a card to commemorate his Baptism. I'd love to start a tradition on Nathaniel's Baptism anniversary, but I'm not quite sure what to do. It's August 6.

Anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about making sure we go to daily Mass and then getting him something from our Catholic bookstore, but other than that I'm stumped.

beckyb June 19th, 2007 02:43 PM

That is so cute! I wish I had continued with Veronica doing that. I bought her stuff each year on her baptism. Like, one year I got her a miraculous medal. Then a rosary one year. Stuff like that. Looks to me like your on the right track. Maybe I will start something for bub.

Julka June 19th, 2007 02:49 PM

When we went for baptismal classes before Natasha's baptism, the deacon told us about this tradition, as to celebrate baptisms too, not just birthdays, and I never thought of that before so I thought it was really neat :D

Anyway, back to topic... you're definitely on the right track. You can even get a cake or something along with some presents like you mentioned... when he's a bit older, a children's bible, medal, rosary, books, christian videos would be great.

jhmomofmany June 20th, 2007 05:34 PM

We don't celebrate Baptism Days consistently :blush: but when we do I make a white cake to celebrate. We also try to go to Mass that day. We share pictures of the Baptism, talk about what the Sacrament means, and also talk/read about whichever saint's day the child was baptized on. I also have them make a card and offer prayers (or do that myself for the little ones) for their Godparents.

lizzy27 June 20th, 2007 06:51 PM

Quote:

We don't celebrate Baptism Days consistently :blush: but when we do I make a white cake to celebrate. We also try to go to Mass that day. We share pictures of the Baptism, talk about what the Sacrament means, and also talk/read about whichever saint's day the child was baptized on. I also have them make a card and offer prayers (or do that myself for the little ones) for their Godparents.[/b]
I love these ideas! Especially making cards for the godparents and the white cake! Hmmm... maybe since Nathaniel's baptism is so close to his birthady (just three weeks after) we'll do white cupcakes to make it a little different.

Thanks for sharing! :smile:

mudholemama June 20th, 2007 06:53 PM

Man! I wish I had known about this tradition....I wonder if its too late to start for Isaac??? His 1 year anniversary
already passed....What a neat idea though. I would definitely do Mass and the ladies above mentioned some
great ideas. Have fun with it!

jhmomofmany June 20th, 2007 07:52 PM

White cupcakes would be great. (I'm getting to where I encourage the kids to pick a birthday "dessert" instead of just cake... We have four birthdays and three baptism days in three months and I get sick of baking cakes!)

It is never too late to start a new tradition! :smile:

Julka June 21st, 2007 04:53 AM

Quote:

Man! I wish I had known about this tradition....I wonder if its too late to start for Isaac??? His 1 year anniversary
already passed....What a neat idea though. I would definitely do Mass and the ladies above mentioned some
great ideas. Have fun with it![/b]
Not too late, I am sure at his 1 year anniv. he didn't really understand yet what was happening, but going forwards he will which will make it more meaningful and memorable.

klj November 29th, 2013 09:42 AM

Re: Ideas for celebrating Baptism anniversary?

I've been a new mom three times, though my children are now 21, 23, and 25! I stumbled upon this post and thought I could share from experience. Every year my husband takes each one of our kids out for a birthday breakfast -- just him and the birthday kid. I then take each one out for a special lunch a few weeks later to celebrate his or her baptism birthday. It's great one-on-one time, remembering these two amazing events in our children's lives.