JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Cesarean Section Birth (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f239-cesarean-section-birth/)
-   -   questions about c-sections....1st c-section timer here! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f239-cesarean-section-birth/2716368-questions-about-c-sections-1st-c-section-timer-here.html)

cortln April 14th, 2014 09:31 AM

questions about c-sections....1st c-section timer here!

Hi, I've never been to to this board so just a quick introduction. My name is Courtney, I'm 29 1/2 weeks pregnant with my second child, 1st I had 4th degree tearing, didn't heal correctly, had to have reconstructive surgery 5 months later. I will be having a planned c-section around week 39 this time around.

I always think the worst and I know a lot of my anxiety comes from all the complications I had during my daughter's delivery, plus reconstructive surgery after!

My question is to anyone who has had a planned c-section.

1. Were you sick with fear beforehand? I know I'll need some meds to calm me down before I'm rolled into be sliced open. I could use some right now to calm me down, can't imagine what the day of will be like for me.

2. What was recovery like for you? I know I'm not going to feel awesome shortly after but I'm just wondering how long it takes to get back to some sort of normalcy, like getting up and down with little problem/pain, running to the grocery store, fixing dinner, going to the mall/zoo etc. I know recovery time is several weeks before I'll actually feel pretty good but just curious about your experience.

3. Is there anything you can do to help healing along? A lot of people have been telling me to get up and move as soon as I can and to walk as much as possible.

Nothing out of the ordinary please! Just normal non eventful c-sections lol I'm already freaking out, I don't need to hear horror stories to freak me out more! :) :)

d_tops April 14th, 2014 11:08 AM

Re: questions about c-sections....1st c-section timer here!

Hi. My c-section was unplanned, but also not exactly emergency. (I was diagnosed with pre-e, so not in labor, but also not prepared to have a baby that day.)

Pre-e and premature birth aside, I would consider the c-section to be non-eventful. I had a spinal tap, which was fine. I used my natural birth breathing techniques for that, and I would definitely recommend practicing some sort of relaxation/breathing techniques now if you plan to have a spinal tap. It took a while to complete and I found it to be a very uncomfortable procedure. Especially if you're anxious now. Sitting and breathing, relaxing your shoulders, relaxing your belly, these will help with that moment.

The surgery itself was fine. I could feel them tugging and at one point could have sworn someone had climbed up on top of me and was digging her knee in to get some leverage. That didn't happen, but that's what it felt like. I could also follow all of the hospital gossip... for a provincial hospital it was a lot more like an episode of Grey's Anatomy than I expected! Being awake during the procedure turned out to be oddly cool.

You can't drive for 10 days afterwards, so plan for that. I was grateful for the five day hospital stay because I needed a little extra time to get my bearings afterward... not so much for the surgery but because of the pre-e and my kid was in the NICU and because I had nursing issues. If you feel comfortable taking the painkillers afterward, talk to your doctor about how they might affect you and BF'ing if you're doing that, but if you take them, take them on schedule. I got behind schedule and felt it right away.

I felt physically pretty well about six or seven days afterward. I definitely recommend plenty of walking as soon as you can, and the regular stuff that you need when you have a new baby (eating well, drinking water, etc.).

In all, I would seriously consider a planned c-section again. I had to grieve my hopes for a natural child birth, but now that I'm over that, I will bring up a serious talk about the possibility of a planned c-section if I get pregnant again.

Best of luck, and remember to breathe.

cortln April 14th, 2014 11:23 AM

Thanks Dee!!

AmiraX4 April 18th, 2014 09:00 AM

It is totally normal to have fear before a csection. I have had 4 back to back c sections with about 1yr-1 1/2 yrs in between them. So i will share my experience. I will leave out the few issues I did have, but to answer your Q's...

I was always nervous when it came time to it. and they can give you meds like you said tohelp with that but have faith in your docs team and know that most go very well. Try doing some relaxation before. I was put under GA for all of mine so I dont have any thing to say as far as the actual section. I did have my baby with my right after I came out of recovery and up to my room.

Each recovery is different. Depending on how things go and what type of anesthiea you use ect. but I agree with getting up and moving the same day as your section. It will help you later. You can ask for pain meds to help with any pain if you have it.

You dont want to do any lifting if you can avoid it. I have 8 kids so especially after my last 3 sections, I didnt have a choice but to get things done. I was cooking and cleaning that week. Cooking light meals after I came home. If you can get help, take it. I took pain meds and that helped out alot. You can pre cook freezer meals ect help also. But if you can take your time in your recovery and dont do/go things/places if not really needed, this will allow your body to heal.

I wish you a great delivery and fast recovery!

mama2ladybugs April 18th, 2014 08:05 PM

i was terrified before my c-section. i was planning a vaginal delivery and had half an hr to mentally prepare myself after i was told i'd be getting a c-section due to my daughter being breeched. the surgery itself went great. it was very uneventful, thank god! but recovery is hell. they will tell you to start getting up several hours after the surgery, once the medicine wears off. they kept me in the hospital for 48 hrs and sent me home with oxycodone and ibuprofen. i personally didn't take the oxycodone once i got home. not so much because i wasn't in pain, but more because i am too paranoid about using it. i just don't want to go there with certain medications.

the worst of the pain lasted about a week and gradually went away over the next 5-7 weeks. i was able to get up and walk around, get out of the house a little bit, but you aren't supposed to really get back to any normal activities until 6-8 weeks post partum, and i definitely wouldn't suggest trying to get by with any sooner. it's major surgery and so many things can go wrong if you don't follow the drs orders with recovery.

i do agree with getting up and moving around as soon as possible though because it really did help me a lot.

MashaMommy April 25th, 2014 06:32 AM

My first one was planned because my daughter was breech. It was GREAT. I was sick with worry. The anesthesiologist told me he had it easier taking his med school exams than answering my questions :) I was rolled in to the OR at 11am and my daughter was born at 11:29. 4 hours later I was walking the halls and begging the nurces to go home (we have a policy of 4 days in the hospital). I felt great, didn't take anything beyond extra strength tylenol and advil. Of course i was uncomfortable but it was much better than what I anticipated.

Honestly compared to an unplanned csection with 22 hours of labour I felt great after the planned one. It took a good 2 weeks to be able to straighten my back completely but at 4 weeks I was dancing away at a sister in law's wedding :)

Absolutely get up and moving as soon as the nurses allow you. Its not pleasant but it will make the world of difference in your recovery. The sooner you will get up the less swelling there will be and the recovery will be easier.

zanesgirls June 11th, 2014 08:47 AM

hey there, i had a 4th tear with my first as well, and as you know, recovery was AWFUL. i didn't have to have any further surgery, so i can only imagine how bad it was for you :(

i had a scheduled c-section with my second (which was good, she was 10lbs!) and i will be having another c-section with this baby (in december). i can say honestly, i was terrified before hand, but afterwards (and during really) i was thrilled with what an amazing experience it was compared to birth #1. i don' think anyone that hasn't had major tearing after birth can really appreciate how awful it is.

so to answer your questions (and feel free to message me if you want to talk more! it's so nice to find peopel that have been through similar situations...)

1. Were you sick with fear beforehand?
Like I said, terrified. I have a fear of throwing up, so I made sure I talked with the anethesia woman about medicine she could add if I felt sick. She was great and talked me through everything. I found that while I was lying down and just waiting it helped to keep talking to my husband- I also remember moving my hands and tapping my fingers together constantly just to make sure I could still feel my body and breathe!

2. What was recovery like for you?
I know that when I came home from the hospital (4 days later) I felt pretty decent, though I was still on meds. By the time I was home a week I was off meds and the major pain was gone, though I still was very careful going up and down stairs and picking things up. Though the recovery could be painful, it was nothing like the long drawn out recovery from the tear. I would say the c-section was a bit more intense but for a much shorter time.

3. Is there anything you can do to help healing along?
Yes. WALK WALK WALK. You're going to look at them like they're crazy when they tell you to sit up and swing your legs over the side of the bed when you feel like you'll never move again, but it helps. Each time you get out of bed it's easier and easier.
I've also heard that each night you're in the hospital, trying to lay your bed a little flatter so that you get used to sleeping in a "normal" bed like you have at home. I didn't do that and I got used to sleeping sitting up which was more difficult at home.

Easier said than done, especially when it's so new, but try to relax. Having been through both types of birth, I have no qualms about this next c-section while the thought of a vaginal birth sends me into an anxiety attack! The thing I'm most dreading is the antacid drink they give you beforehand, which is kind of ridiculous, cause it's harmless!

Good luck, let me know if you want any other info,
Ally

cortln June 11th, 2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanesgirls (Post 28111202)
hey there, i had a 4th tear with my first as well, and as you know, recovery was AWFUL. i didn't have to have any further surgery, so i can only imagine how bad it was for you :(

i had a scheduled c-section with my second (which was good, she was 10lbs!) and i will be having another c-section with this baby (in december). i can say honestly, i was terrified before hand, but afterwards (and during really) i was thrilled with what an amazing experience it was compared to birth #1. i don' think anyone that hasn't had major tearing after birth can really appreciate how awful it is.

so to answer your questions (and feel free to message me if you want to talk more! it's so nice to find peopel that have been through similar situations...)

1. Were you sick with fear beforehand?
Like I said, terrified. I have a fear of throwing up, so I made sure I talked with the anethesia woman about medicine she could add if I felt sick. She was great and talked me through everything. I found that while I was lying down and just waiting it helped to keep talking to my husband- I also remember moving my hands and tapping my fingers together constantly just to make sure I could still feel my body and breathe!

2. What was recovery like for you?
I know that when I came home from the hospital (4 days later) I felt pretty decent, though I was still on meds. By the time I was home a week I was off meds and the major pain was gone, though I still was very careful going up and down stairs and picking things up. Though the recovery could be painful, it was nothing like the long drawn out recovery from the tear. I would say the c-section was a bit more intense but for a much shorter time.

3. Is there anything you can do to help healing along?
Yes. WALK WALK WALK. You're going to look at them like they're crazy when they tell you to sit up and swing your legs over the side of the bed when you feel like you'll never move again, but it helps. Each time you get out of bed it's easier and easier.
I've also heard that each night you're in the hospital, trying to lay your bed a little flatter so that you get used to sleeping in a "normal" bed like you have at home. I didn't do that and I got used to sleeping sitting up which was more difficult at home.

Easier said than done, especially when it's so new, but try to relax. Having been through both types of birth, I have no qualms about this next c-section while the thought of a vaginal birth sends me into an anxiety attack! The thing I'm most dreading is the antacid drink they give you beforehand, which is kind of ridiculous, cause it's harmless!

Good luck, let me know if you want any other info,
Ally

Thanks for this Ally!! It is definately nice to hear from someone who has gone through something similar with their vaginal delivery and then a c-section. Your response was very reassuring. THANK YOU! Next Friday June 20th is the big day, ready to get it over with! :)

Ellies_mom June 18th, 2014 12:03 PM

I just had a csection 3 weeks ago for my second LO. My first baby was a vaginal delivery and it was hell. Lots of tearing, no control over my bladder for months after, tons of pain, horrid recovery. The csection I just had was a breeze!

I was told the night before that I was having it so yeah I was completely freaking out. I even crept into my daughters room and snuggled her the whole night just in case something went wrong when I went in. The dr even gave me ativan and it didnt do much. I was terrified.

The actual csection was a breeze, my milk came in the next day even though they said it would take longer than a vag birth, I never took anything stronger than tylenol ever, and I was up and showering about 12 hours after the surgery.

By day 6 I was completely off the tylenol and here at 3 weeks I feel like nothing happened. I will absolutely choose a csection for any future babies.....the recovery was so much easier! Good luck and Ill be thinking about you on the 20th!