JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Cesarean Section Grief (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1400-cesarean-section-grief/)
-   -   What do you think of this picture? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1400-cesarean-section-grief/1973287-what-do-you-think-picture.html)

TheOtherMichelle May 10th, 2010 02:12 PM

What do you think of this picture?

http://womantowomancbe.files.wordpre...pg?w=360&h=480

NutMeg76 May 10th, 2010 03:14 PM

Re: What do you think of this picture?

I think it is a good depiction of how some women feel after a surgical birth, assaulted.

flitabout May 10th, 2010 03:15 PM

It horrified me the first time I saw it on FB.

WendyBird May 10th, 2010 03:53 PM

I don't like it. I'm not sure exactly how I feel about it. I get the message it's sending, but it doesn't seem right.

NutMeg76 May 10th, 2010 08:22 PM

Maybe they need to tape it back together to simulate the stiches.

TheOtherMichelle May 11th, 2010 09:13 AM

I actually really like it. I don't feel assaulted, as in attacked with malicious intent, but it was a physical attack on my body and I feel that.

I like the way they left the apple mutilated. I think with c-sections everything is put back and the damage is hidden nice and pretty behind stitches. The picture shows what happens on the inside.

WhoaMomma! May 12th, 2010 11:44 AM

Wow. I look at that and instantly thought "somebody gets it." Because from the waist up I am me. But from the waist down I don't feel like me anymore. I dunno - it's hard to explain. It's like MY uterus was in tact. MY stomach muscles were in tact. MY skin didn't have a scar on it. I don't know what I'm left with - but it's not mine. Or it isn't supposed to be mine. I'm rambling incoherently..... :headwall:

Sk8ermaiden May 27th, 2010 10:22 AM

Totally agree with that picture. If we are talking about the c/s ONLY - not the cascade of BS that came after for us, this was my problem. I had a "great" "textbook" recovery. I hurt for 3 MONTHS. I still get soreness and pains around the incision site. I felt like my guts were going to fall out every time I moved.

So for me, that picture shows how I physically felt pretty accurately.

KimberlyD0 May 27th, 2010 11:33 AM

I find it insulting

TheOtherMichelle May 27th, 2010 07:57 PM

How so? Not being snarky, just curious. :smile:

KimberlyD0 May 27th, 2010 09:09 PM

because it assumes that if you've had a c-section you are somehow mutilated, thats just not the case. It sucks to have a section. Especially when you do everything right to have normal birth, but it is not mutalation. To imply that it is, is just insulting.

Its right up there with people getting upset at you because your not angry at someone for having a section, or you don't blame your doctor, even when the doctor (or midwife) is really not at fault.

AmandaLynn84 May 29th, 2010 08:30 PM

I also got the "Someone GETS it" feeling when I saw it.

TheOtherMichelle June 1st, 2010 06:00 PM

It's interesting how differently we all feel about it, a good example of how all feelings should be validated.

WhoaMomma! June 6th, 2010 04:03 PM

Mutilated. Good word. That is EXACTLY how I feel about my body now. Mutilated.

Crystal O_o October 7th, 2010 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 (Post 20334171)
because it assumes that if you've had a c-section you are somehow mutilated, thats just not the case. It sucks to have a section. Especially when you do everything right to have normal birth, but it is not mutalation. To imply that it is, is just insulting.

Its right up there with people getting upset at you because your not angry at someone for having a section, or you don't blame your doctor, even when the doctor (or midwife) is really not at fault.

I agree, I also think it's insulting. I do not feel mutalated.

Oreobaby October 28th, 2010 03:36 PM

I don't feel mutilated, and I don't feel violated.

My baby girl was stuck...her heart rate was dipping, and at one point had dropped down to 70 bpm. Before my baby girl, I miscarried at 11 wks. I tried for a year and a half to have a baby. Getting my baby girl has been a struggle from the very beginning, and even though my c section was probably as tramatic as they get along with almost not making it myself, I don't feel any of the things that you all feel. I feel exactly as it says...at least I have a healthy baby girl, whom I love. And even though I will NEVER be able to have a baby vaginally...I am so happy that I can have a baby, because there are so many that can't.

Maggie1975 November 2nd, 2010 04:10 PM

I find it insanely disrespectful. The picture implies that one who has had a c section is in fact grossly mutilated, which is simply not the case.

I understand that the creator of the picture might have some issues with having a section and these issues could be physical, mental or even both. But to paint with such a large brush and insinuate that EVERYONE who has or will have this procedure is somehow broken is wrong.

I find the picture to be...offensive.

missmich November 21st, 2010 02:05 PM

I had a c-section and even though I wanted a natural birth I'm glad that my doctor finally said it was time to talk about getting a c-section. I didn't feel forced into it,assaulted or mutilated. I'd been in labor,hard labor for close to 24 hours with very little progression and my water had broken close two 72 by then and my son was in distress. I'm still grieving a little for the loss of the birth experience I wanted though but that picture doesn't match what I feel.

NutMeg76 November 28th, 2010 04:48 PM

I wonder how those that don't feel mutilated can feel that way? For every other pregnancy that you ever have your body will no longer function normally.

You will forever have an increased risk of; uterine rupture, placenta accreta and procreta, un-explained stillbirth, bowel problems, adhesions and hysterectomy. How is that 'normal'? You uterus is now scarred and will be for life. There is no changing that. It is like saying someone with a scar on their face is not mutilated.

Seriously, if you don't 'get it' then why come to this section and post? If someone goes to the regular c-seciton area and talks about their grief you run them off. Let this be a safe place for the people who are upset about the outcome of their birth.

Sk8ermaiden November 28th, 2010 05:01 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with people having differening opinions. I feel that we should not be like the regular c-section board in that way. I feel that the fact that they run off everyone who doesn't love their cesareans is a sign of either immaturity or insecurity, and I would hope we could be more inclusive and welcoming. Many moms, even though they did not hate, or maybe they even loved their cesareans may still have some kind of grief over the birth experience they had or didn't have.

And to be quite honest, I would never call someone with a scar on their face mutilated. Maybe it is true in the very most technical definition of the word, but our language is charged with undertone and association. Mutilation is a very, very emotionally charged word, and I can see how some women do not associate those feelings with their bodies or their births. I do not associate it with mine. Yes, I did physically feel like the picture - like my guts were falling out, but if you had told me I was mutilated, I would have been annoyed at least - because of the associations we have with the word.