JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Cesarean Section - Tips, Photos, Information & Articles (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1394-cesarean-section-tips-photos-information-and-articles/)
-   -   Helpful Tips (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1394-cesarean-section-tips-photos-information-and-articles/874689-helpful-tips.html)

MrsStuartD January 7th, 2008 09:42 PM

Helpful Tips

I want to get a helpful tips Sticky up here. If you have something you did that helped you heal or deal with your cesarean section then please post it here. I will make this a sticky.

MrsStuartD January 8th, 2008 09:36 AM

I'll start.

I slept in my recliner for the first 4-5days because it was easier to get out of the recliner then to get in and out of bed.

lhug_nar January 8th, 2008 12:22 PM

A couple of hospital sheets folded into a pillow like thing to hold on your incision when you roll or cough!

JenahsMommy022007 January 8th, 2008 03:48 PM

I used those big pads they give you in the hospital and folded them in half so they stuck together and then placed it over my incison so I could keep it dry, it helped a lot.

Fluffy Baby January 9th, 2008 11:21 AM

Instead of using the pads, my doctor had me hang a washcloth over my underwear band to keep the scar dry and clean. It heals so much better when you keep it dry!

charmed_mommy January 9th, 2008 03:46 PM

Drink lots and lots of water. Those first BM's after a section can be rough.

MrsStuartD January 10th, 2008 11:29 PM

Even if you don't "feel" like you need the pain meds, you should take them as prescribed for the first 48hrs. This allows you better mobility to care for baby while the tender stuff heals ;)

PuNkLiVz January 12th, 2008 10:36 AM

Wearing a maternity belt can help alot, just make sure you put cloth over your scar first for the first few days.

MrsStuartD January 13th, 2008 09:45 PM

I kept a wicker basket under my coffee table in the main living space with all my baby needs so I wouldn't have to keep running to get things and change diapers. Everything was in arms reach. This helped my especially the second time because I needed to be where my toddler was/is.

lhug_nar January 26th, 2008 11:52 AM

If you can, have someone come during the day to help with your older children if your DH has to go back to work.

Pregasaurus February 5th, 2008 12:33 PM

For the hospital .....

After your surgery when you are allowed to have fluids..... DO NOT drink from a straw.... DO NOT drink really cold drinks..... DO NOT drink sodas. All these things will cause TERRIBLE gas pains that sometimes are worse than labor pains.

If you are planning on nursing.. Take your boppy to the hospital with you. It helps keep the baby from laying on your incision. If you haven't taken it please ask for lots of pillows. I had pillows for under my arms..... behind my back... they helped a lot AND I had my boppy too.

At home.....

I can't say it enough..... ASK for help! With surgery you are prone to have post surgical blues and feel so helpless. Combine this with post partum blues it can be so overwhelming and have to added stress of taking care of a new little one...... you can get in real trouble, really fast. You need help and support.

heathernoel February 5th, 2008 07:07 PM

Don't forget that with most insurance plans, you can get a hospital grade pump to go home with you...don't forget it (I have forgotten that three times)

BensMom February 5th, 2008 09:54 PM

The hospital bed doesn't sit up to a right angle. It was hard for me to get in and out of bed. Tie a sheet or old pair of tube socks to the end of the bed. That way you can pull yourself the rest of the way up with arm strength rather than abdominal strength.

Dawminatrix February 8th, 2008 01:38 PM

it was VERY hard for me to get in and out of bed at the hospital, but got the hang of it after a while

the first few trips to the bathroom, i held a pillow to my stomach

and yes, take your medication, do not turn it down!!! I had hubby write down the times i took doses and i was calling for the next dose exactly when i could....one time they were late coming in with it, and my pain level went to an 8! (scale of 1-10)

once i got home, i was able to ween off and manage the pain, use the medication...it's there for a reason :)

Mystic February 12th, 2008 10:50 PM

Hi Ladies.. I'm new here.. lol.. I used baby wipes to clean the incision site. Also when I got out of the shower I would use a hair dryer to dry it on low heat and kept it about 4 inches or so away. I also put gauze at the site to keep it nice and dry.I used A&D ointment to keep it from getting infected. Yes take the pain meds on time. It will keep you from being as sore. I also slept in my recliner coz it was easier to get out of and I didn't have to use my tummy muscles. :lol: I hope this will help anyone who is about to have a c-section!!!!!

cdefgmomma April 16th, 2008 05:03 PM

Quote:

I'll start.

I slept in my recliner for the first 4-5days because it was easier to get out of the recliner then to get in and out of bed.[/b]

I did this as well. Only with my last c-section though...for some reason I couldnt lye flat!

I also took the giant pads they give us and tucked it against my incision for any traveling or a lot of coughing or walking that I needed to do for the 1st few weeks....That helped TONS!!!!

seg79 April 27th, 2008 07:51 PM

granny panties!!!! but supportive ones to hold pads or whatever you have over your incision. I also recommend help from fam....if you have someone who can get up at night with the baby.....less tripping in the dark

::er!ca:: April 28th, 2008 07:03 AM

My biggest suggestion is GET UP OUT OF THAT BED ASAP AND WALK, WALK, WALK, WALK, WALK (even if it's slow!!). It will definitely help you recover faster, just don't over do it :D If you feel you need a break, take a break! Don't be scared to get up, don't lay in the hospital bed the whole time.

Twinksbug May 7th, 2008 05:25 PM

I wore and am still wearing thick banned sweatpants and maternity low rise pants... the band covers exactly at the incision site which feels like a good pressure and avoids having normal pants or pajamas roll down and rest on the incision when you sit.

Tiffers May 19th, 2008 10:47 AM

Quote:

My biggest suggestion is GET UP OUT OF THAT BED ASAP AND WALK, WALK, WALK, WALK, WALK (even if it's slow!!). It will definitely help you recover faster, just don't over do it :D If you feel you need a break, take a break! Don't be scared to get up, don't lay in the hospital bed the whole time.[/b]
Yes - totally agree. I felt so much better once I got up and got moving around.

I also agree about taking the pain med at the scheduled time. It's better to stay on top of it, than get hit with the pain because the meds have wore off.

Also don't be afraid to send the baby to the nursery. I finally figured this out with my third :lol: I was trying to be supermom, but failed to realize I still needed to rest and recover from major surgery.