JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Children with Developmental Delays and Disorders (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1172-children-developmental-delays-and-disorders/)
-   -   My 7 months old doesn't babble. Please anyone? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1172-children-developmental-delays-and-disorders/2134279-my-7-months-old-doesnt-babble-please-anyone.html)

KVK10 October 17th, 2010 12:17 PM

My 7 months old doesn't babble. Please anyone?

My 7 month old son doesn't babble, no "Mama, Dada, Baba" etc.

He doesn't even like to talk that much, no "Ba, Ma, Pa, Da". Even though I think I hear a "ghoooo" every once in a while when he takes a breath and then lets it out. But it's just once and not often.

When he "talks" he "talks" a bit for him self in a soft voice "Aaa, Ooo, Auu, Oooua" especially in the morning after he wakes up and lies in bed.

Then he does that a few times a day, often when his hand is in his mouth.

He doesn't really talk back or imitate. He loves to smile and laugh though and loves to laugh to peek-a-boo. He also squeels and screams of joy, and plays with his voice that way. That's the way he plays with his voice the most - squeels or however you call it.

He LOVES to watch himself in the mirror and then he screams of joy to and licks the mirror and touches it with his hands. He can put his arms up pretty good when he wants to be picked up and he always watches us in new situations and with new people to see our reaction. He loves attention and to be social with us. He wants to be held etc.

He got two teeth a month ago and he is trying to crawl but he hasn't learned to do so yet. He can sit with minimal support for a little while and he loves to stand in the sofa holding onto it or standing on the floor holding our hands.

No matter how much I babble to him, he doesn't want to give it a try and I'm so stressed about it and it makes me sad reading about the babies being so talkative now and they should be etc. I'm so sad about reading about the red flags and so on. It just tears my heart apart.

When did you babies start to babble and do you have any experience with my "problem"? Do I need to worry or does it sound all normal? I just want to calm down and relax and enjoy my baby..

picklesmama October 17th, 2010 12:42 PM

Re: My 7 months old doesn't babble. Please anyone?

He sounds completely normal and right on track to me :)
Those little cooing sounds he makes to himself are most lilely the beginning of babbling. His interacting with you sounds fine. I don't know who you re comparing him to that is making you think he's behind, but thinking about my own typical kids, I don't think he does. Give him a couple of months before you worry, it's not even a red flag for concern until around 9 months. I bet he'll be babbling up a storm by then, because he sounds developmentally perfect to me.
What did his pedi say at his last check-up?

KVK10 October 17th, 2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ☆picklesmama☆ (Post 21856203)
He sounds completely normal and right on track to me :)
Those little cooing sounds he makes to himself are most lilely the beginning of babbling. His interacting with you sounds fine. I don't know who you re comparing him to that is making you think he's behind, but thinking about my own typical kids, I don't think he does. Give him a couple of months before you worry, it's not even a red flag for concern until around 9 months. I bet he'll be babbling up a storm by then, because he sounds developmentally perfect to me.
What did his pedi say at his last check-up?

Thank you so much :) I'm posting all the way from Sweden :) Had to ask somewhere else than the swedish message board I'm usually on. Never got any answers there.

I'm comparing him to what other moms write about their babies and to the books and websites about what a baby should be doing around 6-7 months and that's babbling alot and being able to say things like "baba, dada, mama, gaga" etc.

I'm worried because he likes to be quiet alot. He's not a chatty baby. He likes to talk vowels to himself in a soft voice in the morning and then scream of joy during the day and maybe a few other vowel sounds throughout the day but they come one and one. Mostly quiet though.

I am so glad you think he sounds normal :)

He had his check-up when he was 6 months old but they never asked or said anything about speech/babble. No questions, no tests, nothing. And of course, my son was quiet all of the time, they only checked if he could grab, look for things etc.

picklesmama October 17th, 2010 01:18 PM

You know, you have to take message board tales of what babies are doing with a grain of salt, because I think a lot of moms exaggerate their babies abilities - and probably not even on purpose, and even to themselves. I see it IRL all the time, friends claiming their child is saying mama or dada, and the kid is barely saying m-m-m, it could only be considered a word by someone who really wants to hear it as one, know what I mean? I just looked back at my youngests PR, and when our babies were 6 months, only 7 people posted that their babies had just begun babbling, so we can safely assume the other 30 or so weren't, right? I know Kate wasn't. All the books I have read vary, but in general they say babbling begins around 6-7 months, and babbling that sounds like words (mama, dada etc) normally appears between 7 and 9 months, he's got time :)

KVK10 October 17th, 2010 01:49 PM

Thank you so much! I guess you are right and I feel much better now :) you are awesome!

picklesmama October 17th, 2010 02:52 PM

:hug: I'm glad, you're welcome. It's great that you are so attentive about his development, he's got a great mommy :)

MaddiesMama October 17th, 2010 06:19 PM

I agree with everything that everyone else said! I would not worry about this at this point in time. My daughter's ped was concerned that she wasn't babbling at 12 months but requested I bring her back in if she still wasn't at 15 months. Some children really are late talkers, late crawlers, late walkers, late whatever and there is really no issue at all other than they're simply moving at their own pace. Give it a few more months and if he's still not babbling by 12 months, bring it up at his 1-yr checkup!

Mis-Bis October 21st, 2010 02:12 PM

I agree, he sounds fine. If there was something wrong you would see other signs too and the time frame for babbling can really vary, my daughter started babbling at 4 months and you know what? She's almost 19 months old and she still only has a couple of words and she's completely typical. So just because those other babies are babbling (and believe me they are not saying mama and dada, they are probably just saying mamammamam and dadadada to everything.) doesn't mean they are developmentally ahead and it doesn't mean your son is develpmentally behind. If he's social, loves to play, has good eye contact, makes sounds, plays appropriately with toys and all that then he's fine and he'll probably be babbling his head off soon. That being said you can check out the red flags in one of the stickies at the top of this board and if you see anything else that worries you come back and tell us.

KVK10 October 23rd, 2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docsmama (Post 21900499)
I agree, he sounds fine. If there was something wrong you would see other signs too and the time frame for babbling can really vary, my daughter started babbling at 4 months and you know what? She's almost 19 months old and she still only has a couple of words and she's completely typical. So just because those other babies are babbling (and believe me they are not saying mama and dada, they are probably just saying mamammamam and dadadada to everything.) doesn't mean they are developmentally ahead and it doesn't mean your son is develpmentally behind. If he's social, loves to play, has good eye contact, makes sounds, plays appropriately with toys and all that then he's fine and he'll probably be babbling his head off soon. That being said you can check out the red flags in one of the stickies at the top of this board and if you see anything else that worries you come back and tell us.

Thank you for your input! That means alot to me!

I read the thread you recommended and honestly, I can't see a thing in there that applies to my son. The only thing I would like to ask about is this one:

"Not making eye contact during activities and interacting with peers and/or adults"

Our son DOES make good eye contact. He definitely knows how to and does it. But how often do they have to do it during activities and how intense does it have to be? Sometimes when our son is playing with a toy he can be very occupied by it, putting it in his mouth, chewing and looking at it from different angles. He can look up for a second and look us in the eye and then continue his play and investigation of the toy. Sometimes he looks at us more, and other times the toy is much more interesting. Does it sound normal?

He had a moment in the store today when he went Aaaaa Oooo Aoooee for a long period of time. So cute! Smiling, "talking" with his vowels and looking at us! Then in the elevator he did the same thing to a man, looking at him, trying to get his attention.

Mis-Bis October 23rd, 2010 05:47 PM

His eye contact sounds fine. At his age it's completely normal for him to be more interested in his toy than you. :smile: As long as he looks at you when you talk to him 90% of the time he's fine. The bad eye contact we're talking about is more like when they look around you or through you. My son looks next to me when I'm talking to him or he looks up. He also gets engrossed in his toys and things too but the difference is when I finally get his attention he still won't look at me. I really think your son is completely typical. Don't worry about the babbling. Like a PP said, if he's still not babbling by 12 months then worry. In the meantime enjoy the relative peace and quiet. ;)

quietsong October 24th, 2010 10:28 AM

I'm with everyone else with a slight exception: I would give your baby until 9 months to start doing more babbling, and if he just keeps using vowels, I would look into a hearing test - just to be sure. Like everyone said, it can easily be very normal to not babble at 7-9 months! However, it never hurts to rule something out, and the sooner hearing loss is caught, the better.

I think your son does sound developmentally typically, though, and I wouldn't be worried about eye contact, etc!

Mis-Bis October 24th, 2010 06:46 PM

I agree with the hearing test. My friend's son is 2 and a half and he has 4 words. Come to find out he is only hearing out of one ear. So yes, hearing tests are important and the sooner the better if you suspect something.

KianG June 20th, 2013 12:54 PM

Hi KVK10

How is your baby? When did he start talking?
I am in the same boat as you at that time and I am curious.
Thanks

Carwen*Angel July 6th, 2013 04:40 AM

I haven't seen her around in a long long time. Welcome here Kian. You'd probably get more answers by posting your own experiences/questions in a new thread. :)

Spyctre September 14th, 2013 02:16 PM

I know this thread is a little old, but I was wondering if there were any updates? :)

My first talked very early. 20 words or so with sentences by 1 year, but then they all went away because she regressed. Her milestones were all on the late side. If you called her name, she would not turn to you at all. She would look you in the eye sometimes, but that has gone away for the most part. She took 5 months to roll over, 14 to start walking. The biggest difference I see reading about your child and mine with a developmental disorder is that mine did not laugh. I even told my mom at one point that my child just had no emotions. She did not get scared or angry either. You could take a toy away, and she just didn't care.

My neurotypical child got words a lot slower than some of the babies I read about, and at 19 months she is just starting to really talk. She uses one word to ask to nurse, she knows the meaning and how to say up and down. Not much. A friend's son, 6 weeks older than mine, can already rote count to 10 and identify everything at his place setting. Cup, plate, fork, spoon, milk, hot dog. It's almost unreal.

I've heard a child less than 18 months say clear as day, "I don't want any juice. I would like a cup of water." And I've seen brilliant, normal children that could only make duck or cat sounds by 2 years. lol Both were normal kids.

rjc0704 January 1st, 2014 07:21 AM

He does sound normal to me also but have you had his ears checked? has he had chronic ear infections? my twins did and after getting tubes in eats no more ear infections and lots more talking and babbling