JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Children with Heart Conditions (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f783-children-heart-conditions/)
-   -   We went to the cardiologist too (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f783-children-heart-conditions/1356286-we-went-to-cardiologist-too.html)

pgilar December 16th, 2008 11:18 PM

Today it was Daniel's final post op check up (it is nearly 7 weeks since the last op). The cardiologist was happy with his progress and....drum roll please...daniel gets to be off lasix for the first time in more than a year! I am very excited about that.

The less exciting news is that he sent us for more testing (ENT and palate expert) just to check whether everything is normal in that area. Daniel had breathing problems after the last op so he wants to check whether the problems were just randum bad luck or due to anatomical abnormalities. So, we will see.

The next "big thing" will be a cardiac catheterisation sometime early next year. I am not looking forward to it but, comparatively speaking, it should be a piece of cake.

Paula

stacyp December 17th, 2008 05:50 PM

Yay for a good follow-up! That's great he's off the lasix!

Let us know how the ENT appt goes. Luke sees one for laryngomalacia (floppy voicebox which causes noisy breathing).

MellieB December 18th, 2008 04:20 PM

Yay for coming off the Lasix. Be prepared for what will seem like a huge weight gain in the first few days. When Zac came of his he gained half a pound in 24 hours.

pgilar December 19th, 2008 01:34 AM

Mellie,

Thanks for that tip! He did go up by nearly 1/2 kilo in the last few days and I was wondering what was going on. He is hungrier too, so I was hoping he is actually putting back some of the weight he lost since the last op. Nevermind, eventually he will get fatter (not just heavier because of the extra water!).

Paula

MellieB December 19th, 2008 05:47 PM

Lasix tends to suppress the appetite too. When he came off them Zac would actually cry for his food. Something he never did on them.

foodislove December 19th, 2008 07:49 PM

That's great appt news! Good luck with the ENT appt. KUP!

That's so interesting about the Lasix. No one ever mentioned that to us as a possible cause for Jack's poor eating....hmmmm

pgilar December 20th, 2008 03:30 AM

Quote:

That's so interesting about the Lasix. No one ever mentioned that to us as a possible cause for Jack's poor eating....hmmmm[/b]
Nobody said anything to us either, but we figured it out. Before Lasix, he was this chubby baby who loved his food. Afterwards, eating was always a struggle. There was a period when he was having it twice a day and it was awful. He ate so little I just wanted to cry. I get a knot in my stomach just thinking about it.

So, yes, Lasix is very good but it can have this really nasty effect on apeptite.

Paula