JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Children with Special Needs (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f50-children-special-needs/)
-   -   Kyle's new bike. (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f50-children-special-needs/1527153-kyles-new-bike.html)

kittycat April 19th, 2009 02:01 PM

Kyle's new bike.

We went yesterday morning to a bike store that makes custom bikes for special needs kids. The custom bikes are very pricey ($2-5K), but they have some grant assistance - which we found out once there, we didn't qualify for. However, we did found out that we could get a modification kit for Trek bikes, but the cost was still going to be over $500 with the new bike and modifications.

Determined to not see Kyle sit another summer out on the sidelines - I came home yesterday and called my local bike shop about the modifications we were looking to get done. And see if we could save some $$ going with them, and we could. Then I did some searching online last night, found a great condition Trek bike used for $65 (vs. $200 retail). We picked it up today, and dropped it off at our local shop. The final modified bike will cost us less than 1/2 of what the special shop was going to charge. And a couple of the changes are nicer/sportier looking vs. 'special needs' looking (and function the same or better).

As long as the special training wheels come in this week - Kyle will get to pick his bike up on Saturday. And for the first time ever - ride a big boy bike :wub:

Ditzzy April 19th, 2009 03:10 PM

Re: Kyle's new bike.

Awe..That's great news!! Take pics! I'm so happy for him!
I'm glad you found it cheaper, that first place was very expensive!

kittycat April 19th, 2009 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ditzzy (Post 15438701)
Awe..That's great news!! Take pics! I'm so happy for him!
I'm glad you found it cheaper, that first place was very expensive!

Well, in part it was the cost of the base bike. We found the same bike gently used for a fraction of the retail price. The other issue that anything labeled 'special needs' costs a fortune. However, I found out that there's all sorts of products out there that are comparable or better for less - but they're more competition biking gear vs. 'special needs' brands.

But in the end, we had to change the bike to a fixed gear, replace the back tire (metal part) to accommodate the cog kit and new chain system, change the pedals, add padding, change the seat, and buy special training wheels (they look like the bike wheels, only 12.5" tall). The training wheels through the specialty store were $110+tax, but I did find those online (same brand) for $80 - and the bike shop is going to install them - and they still cost more than we paid for the base bike *sigh*

stacyp April 20th, 2009 05:09 AM

Awwww, I am so glad he's getting a big boy bike!