JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Children with Special Needs (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f50-children-special-needs/)
-   -   Autism/Sensory/Anxiety... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f50-children-special-needs/2639261-autism-sensory-anxiety.html)

alittlelost March 31st, 2013 07:30 AM

Autism/Sensory/Anxiety...

My sons both are diagnosed with autism--my oldest had a moderate case that is now mild and my youngest actually has PDDNOS, not autism, but apparently they are diagnosing it as on the spectrum. This post is about my oldest.

Every day, he has this sort of "freak out", but not a behavioral one. He just yells out and falls to the ground and sort of rolls around and 30 seconds later he is fine. It used to be a lot more severe; I think he's gotten better at reigning in his reaction when it happens, but basically he told me (he's verbal) that it feels like his whole body is tickling under the skin or sometimes he says the he feels itchy all over. It usually happens while he is doing a calm/non-physical activity, like sitting reading a book or watching a television show.

He also complains sometimes that he feels like his heart is beating out of his chest. This also happens about every day or every other day, and again, there seems to be nothing physical or otherwise triggering it.

Has anyone else been through something similar? What was causing it? I'm wondering if it might be some kind of sensory of anxiety thing, though I'm not sure what sensory could be causing it since I haven't noticed any triggers when it happens.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

shannonkcc August 21st, 2013 12:10 PM

Re: Autism/Sensory/Anxiety...

Hi,

I don't know what this is but my 3 year old has been having sensory issues and was just diagnosed with Amplified Musculoskeletal Pain Syndrome and Amplified Sensitivity. The doctors asked me the same questions you are complaining of. She has problems with noises and feels pain in her legs. She is still too young to tell us what the pain feels like but she can get rather upset over it. She has not been diagnosed with Autism or any form of it but the research I have done on these seem to go along with a spectrum disorder. I would inform his doctor. She sees a Rheumatologist for these issues. Good luck!

FyreMommy2B March 18th, 2014 06:32 AM

Re: Autism/Sensory/Anxiety...

My youngest was diagnosed with SPD (sensory processing disorder) which is when the nervous system is out of balance and doesn't process external stimuli very well. Ours is sensory seeking but he sounds like some sort of hyper stimulation may be occurring. There are so many great resources to help with finding the cause.

What does your Pediatrician think? Maybe get a referral for further evaluation? Following your post and sending you support and encouragement.