JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Choosing Not to Vaccinate (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f325-choosing-not-to-vaccinate/)
-   -   Don't really know how to go about this... (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f325-choosing-not-to-vaccinate/2651541-dont-really-know-how-to-go-about.html)

Ruidmoon May 18th, 2013 03:23 PM

Don't really know how to go about this...

I'm 18 years old and pregnant with my first child. I know someone who chose not to vaccinate her children, which is how I got interested in the vax, no-vax controversy. From all the research I've done, and the personal experiences of the woman I knew who did not vaccinate, it seems to me they do more harm than good.

In all honesty, though, at 18 no one really seems to put much value into what I think or have to say. I'm 29 weeks pregnant and haven't yet really spoken to anyone about not vaccinating my daughter once she's born because the one person I kind of brought the issue up to said that it was a stupid decision and vaccinations save lives.
I personally don't feel that way, though.

I suppose I'm just doubting myself because I am so young and the older people in my life all talk about the extreme importance of vaccinating.

Does anyone have any tips on how I should bring it up to my doctor, or the my family members?
I'd really really appreciate it...

MapleGranola May 22nd, 2013 06:40 AM

As far as family members if you don't think they will be supportive I wouldn't even address it. It's your choice not theirs.
To the pediatrician I would just explain that you are still doing research on vaccinations and at this point are not comfortable with your baby receiving any. Some pediatricians will fight you on this and my advice would be to find a new one then. If you aren't vaccinating then normal well visits aren't necessary and you pretty much avoid the whole debate then.

mgm78 May 24th, 2013 03:33 PM

Re: Don't really know how to go about this...

^that was good advice. So what if you are 18? as long as you are informed, that is important, no matter what you decide to do. You can also always vaccinate later, you cannot undo a vaccine, so the option will always be there. I held off people by telling them i was going to wait until DD was 2 and the blood/brain barrier was formed and then never did anything, but most people forgot by then ;)

Ruidmoon May 27th, 2013 10:04 AM

Thank you for the advice! (:
I've just seen so much that seems to point to vaccines being more harmful than helpful, a part of me is scared what if I don't, but a larger part is more worried about if I do.

mgm78 May 29th, 2013 03:52 AM

I just decided, I could always vax down the road. I nursed for a long time which helps with immunity. If you are on FB, check out Dr Tenpenny on vaccines, she has a lot of good information.