JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Christian Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f44-christian-parenting/)
-   -   Winning souls to Christ?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f44-christian-parenting/2539082-winning-souls-to-christ.html)

mamma_anna June 14th, 2012 10:17 AM

Winning souls to Christ??

I'm not trying to start any heated debates. I'm just trying to understand something, Looking for your honest opinions. :)

So, last night at church we had a guest speaker and he was talking about "winning souls to Christ" I've heard this language a lot lately and I really don't understand it. It seemed to be presented like a sports competition. "How many souls have you saved this week?" That's not the exact wording he used but it's the impression I got.

I've always believed it's the Holy Spirit's job to bring people to Christ. If we are blessed to be a part of it somehow then we should be grateful for that but it's still God's work not ours. We shouldn't take the credit. We didn't "win" anything.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something in this wording. What do you think "Winning souls to Christ" means? Do you think we should be actively trying to "save souls"? If so, how do you go about it?

Countrymom4 June 14th, 2012 11:28 AM

Re: Winning souls to Christ??

I don't think it should be a compition. But I do believe we are to spread the word. We are gods people, His deciples. As to how to go about.....I think by being a good christian, people will see your good deads and will want to live that life. That being said you also have to be a christian that is not afraid to be bold with your faith.

#5in2005 June 15th, 2012 01:54 PM

I think we all know what he's saying, but it's probably not the best way to be putting it. It gives you the impression that you, yourself are doing it, instead of being the instrument.

crunchywannabe June 15th, 2012 05:10 PM

My personal belief is that we each have our own gifts, and we are not all meant to go up to strangers talking about Jesus and how you can be saved. But we can use our gifts to shine that light and in turn that is what 'wins souls' as he puts it. For example I have a really hard time talking with adults about Christianity, but I really enjoy planning fun activities with children, and can speak with them about it. I worked at summer camps and so often we'd hear of the impact children who went home to non christian families had after teaching them what they had been taught at camp! I think it is important, but there is not one way to do it.

happilyeverafter June 16th, 2012 10:35 AM

I believe it is our job to help bring people to Christ. The Bible tells us to preach the gospel and proclaim is fearlessly. I believe that God will certainly speak to people and bring them to Himself through the Holy Spirit, but I also believe we have a part to play. If not, then what were all the disciples doing? What was their goal if not to bring others to Christ and teach the word of God?

A lot of Paul's writing are corrections and/or directions to different people, which to me, equates to a man teaching others what they need to know in order to grow in their own relationship with God. He received word from the Holy Spirit which is our helper and our direct line of communication with God, and he went out and shared the word. Paul also says that he makes himself a slave to others just to "win as many as possible" and that "by all means possible might save some." Jesus himself said "I will make you fishers of men." Jesus also called his disciples his witnesses to the ends of the earth. In Matthew, Jesus tells his disciples to "go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost." And he says that if we have faith in Him, that we will do what he did and even greater things; Jesus certainly won souls.

There are lots of ways to get to Christ and to get others to Christ. I wouldn't consider it a sport, but more of a blessing. Our church does an outreach each month to help "win souls", and it's an amazing blessing to come to church on Sunday and hear that X number of people received Jesus into their hearts or to see new people start coming. My husband and I were saved this way. In a WalMart parking lot by a man and woman from our church. I am so thankful that God directed those people to go out and to speak to people, and I am SO thankful that they listened & responded to the Holy Ghost.

mamma_anna June 17th, 2012 02:35 PM

Thanks for all your responses. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchywannabe (Post 26170775)
My personal belief is that we each have our own gifts, and we are not all meant to go up to strangers talking about Jesus and how you can be saved. But we can use our gifts to shine that light and in turn that is what 'wins souls' as he puts it. For example I have a really hard time talking with adults about Christianity, but I really enjoy planning fun activities with children, and can speak with them about it. I worked at summer camps and so often we'd hear of the impact children who went home to non christian families had after teaching them what they had been taught at camp! I think it is important, but there is not one way to do it.

I agree with you. I think what bothered me was that he was talking as if you're not talking to strangers and trying to save everyone you meet then you're not really doing God's work. But that's not how God has called me to work for Him. I'm just not comfortable with it.

I think it's awesome that you work with kids. The Holy Spirit is definitely working through you to reach those families. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by happilyeverafter (Post 26172522)
There are lots of ways to get to Christ and to get others to Christ. I wouldn't consider it a sport, but more of a blessing. Our church does an outreach each month to help "win souls", and it's an amazing blessing to come to church on Sunday and hear that X number of people received Jesus into their hearts or to see new people start coming. My husband and I were saved this way. In a WalMart parking lot by a man and woman from our church. I am so thankful that God directed those people to go out and to speak to people, and I am SO thankful that they listened & responded to the Holy Ghost.

Kimberly, reading this again today almost made me cry!! :)

I have to admit when I first read it last night I was a little bothered. I get uncomfortable when I hear churches talking about their "numbers". It's this focus on quantity over quality that bugs me. It's not a knock on your church at all. I'm sure it isn't the case there. But I've been in churches that put all the emphasis on getting as many people as they can in the door but do a really bad job of helping those people grow in their faith and actually modeling Christ to them once they get there.

Then this morning my pastor told a story in his sermon about a woman who was in a really dark place in her life and ended up coming to our church and being saved because of an encounter with a man in a parking lot! ;)
I heard that story and immediately thought of your post. I feel like God was saying to me "See? This is what he meant!" so Thank you for sharing that with me. :heart:

momie2b9-20-11 June 17th, 2012 07:29 PM

I agree with pretty much everything all you ladies have said! I agree that people should see Christ through me and I can be different and be an example that way. I'm an outgoing type of person but I'm not comfortable with going up to strangers and talking about Christ. If it happens that I'm talking with someone and can include Christ in my conversation and be an example that way I will but I'm not going to go up to a complete stranger and just start talking about Christ. Personally, I think I'd be 'put off' if someone can up to me somewhere and pushed their religion on me. I'm not against "winning souls to Christ" I just think there are different ways to do that as everyone has a different gift in the body of Christ.

When younger I did lead my nephew to the Lord and that was the greatest feeling! He already knew about God and he was scared of a bad storm and long story short I told him Jesus can be in your heart and help you not get scared. We prayed together and after him praying I asked and he felt and he looked at me and gave me a huge smile and said I feel happy:p I'll always remember that evening - he was 7 then and now at almost 13 it's been a joy to see him grow as a Christian!!

I'd talk to people more when I was working and at school as most everyone knew I was a Christian and that was always good opportunity. I don't really get much of an opportunity now as I stay at home a lot but I don't feel like a bad Christian because I'm not out "winning souls to Christ".

And, even when you do get to talk with someone about Christ they don't always accept him right away - sometimes you plant a seed or water a seed that will one day blossom into a 'Christian'.

mamma_anna June 20th, 2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by momie2b9-20-11 (Post 26176481)
I agree with pretty much everything all you ladies have said! I agree that people should see Christ through me and I can be different and be an example that way. I'm an outgoing type of person but I'm not comfortable with going up to strangers and talking about Christ. If it happens that I'm talking with someone and can include Christ in my conversation and be an example that way I will but I'm not going to go up to a complete stranger and just start talking about Christ. Personally, I think I'd be 'put off' if someone can up to me somewhere and pushed their religion on me. I'm not against "winning souls to Christ" I just think there are different ways to do that as everyone has a different gift in the body of Christ.

And, even when you do get to talk with someone about Christ they don't always accept him right away - sometimes you plant a seed or water a seed that will one day blossom into a 'Christian'.

I love that! What a great point. :)

May14th2011 June 20th, 2012 07:03 PM

I'm not a very outgoing person, so for me going up and talking to people is a big thing. I do much better at serving in a ministry, whether it's making fliers for an outreach, working behind the scenes, or whatever.
I really believe that if I can work behind the scenes, I can possibly free up someone else to go and talk to people.

happilyeverafter June 20th, 2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamma_anna (Post 26175670)
Kimberly, reading this again today almost made me cry!! :)

I have to admit when I first read it last night I was a little bothered. I get uncomfortable when I hear churches talking about their "numbers". It's this focus on quantity over quality that bugs me. It's not a knock on your church at all. I'm sure it isn't the case there. But I've been in churches that put all the emphasis on getting as many people as they can in the door but do a really bad job of helping those people grow in their faith and actually modeling Christ to them once they get there.

Then this morning my pastor told a story in his sermon about a woman who was in a really dark place in her life and ended up coming to our church and being saved because of an encounter with a man in a parking lot! ;)
I heard that story and immediately thought of your post. I feel like God was saying to me "See? This is what he meant!" so Thank you for sharing that with me. :heart:

*hugs*

Our church is certainly not a large church, and it is never our goal to "gain members." It IS our goal to share the word of God and to help others that may otherwise never even give it a second thought. A lot of people just don't know how to get saved, and that breaks my heart. In five minutes, you can tell someone something that can change their lives and make the difference in them spending eternity in heaven or hell. That is our goal. One of the questions we ask people is if they were to leave and die that night, would they go to heaven or hell. Probably 90% of them answer hell. (my husband and I did when we were asked) It is terrible that so many people believe they are on the way to hell and don't realize that they are LOVED and that Jesus Christ himself died for them and wants to give them eternal life and health and bless them and surround them with love. God said that his people perish for a lack of knowledge. God's children are perishing and going to hell because they simply DON'T KNOW what to do. It's so awesome to tell people that there is a way out and to show people "the light".

AFTER we speak to people and/or pray for/with them, we offer them a little booklet telling them about our church. We do not insist that they come to OUR church, but we do suggest that they get themselves into a good church that preaches the true word of God because they will need the support of a church family and the leadership and guidance to grow as a new Christian.

My posts are really long, but this topic is close to my heart.

Quote:

Originally Posted by May14th2011
I'm not a very outgoing person, so for me going up and talking to people is a big thing. I do much better at serving in a ministry, whether it's making fliers for an outreach, working behind the scenes, or whatever.
I really believe that if I can work behind the scenes, I can possibly free up someone else to go and talk to people.

Agreed. It takes every part to make up the body of Christ!

mamma_anna June 21st, 2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by May14th2011 (Post 26189824)

I think you're doing a lot more than just freeing up someone else to go talk to people about Christ. :) You are also being a witness. You are showing people the servant heart of Jesus. Sometimes that does a lot more to lead someone to a relationship with Christ than any prayer or testimony or sermon could.

virtuous September 6th, 2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamma_anna (Post 26164643)
I'm not trying to start any heated debates. I'm just trying to understand something, Looking for your honest opinions. :)

So, last night at church we had a guest speaker and he was talking about "winning souls to Christ" I've heard this language a lot lately and I really don't understand it. It seemed to be presented like a sports competition. "How many souls have you saved this week?" That's not the exact wording he used but it's the impression I got.

I've always believed it's the Holy Spirit's job to bring people to Christ. If we are blessed to be a part of it somehow then we should be grateful for that but it's still God's work not ours. We shouldn't take the credit. We didn't "win" anything.

I'm wondering if I'm missing something in this wording. What do you think "Winning souls to Christ" means? Do you think we should be actively trying to "save souls"? If so, how do you go about it?

I never witness to anyone. Not my place. I am not smart enough that is for sure. Who would listen to me? Now my husband is far superior than me. He loves to hand out tracts & speak. My husband does this all the time 24/7. He is good at it. I let the man do his thing.

jeweluv September 6th, 2012 07:21 PM

OMG...sooo weird!! Is it strange that I think GOD truly works in mysterious BUT WONDERFUL ways? This has been an ongoing battle for me recently? I want to be a Chrsitian woman, don't want to ever seem ashamed or embarassed of my faith, but when does preaching to become preaching at? Simply speaking of the LORD and GOD'S WILL is not always meant to be done in the outwardly way we think. Again; works. I think sometimes I think if I can include Christ in a convo, then I've done well. Not true. The walk of a Chrsitian is more important. Perhaps if we allow GOD TO choose who the convo comes up with and who he leads us to, it won't be so hard. I often feel terribly guilty bc my in laws dont know much about my faith. They think I'm Jewish. Although I would never turn against CHRIST to them, because of my dh and his resistance, I feel it's best to not flaunt it to them in order to not make him even more against it. He really wants his parents approval. right now it's hard enough living in a divided hous of faith that I think if I were to start preaching to everyone, it wouldn't be helpful.

In conclusion, you are not alone. We are not all meant to be preachers but eprhaps some of us need to touch others life with an action that doesn't scream "GOD IN THEIR FACE" but shows the way that GOD loved us. You just neer know what a simple and just kind reaction can do to someone heart without even having to preach.................

virtuous September 7th, 2012 08:38 AM

I think my husband is meant to witness since he is a man. I have been told that women were/are not to preach or witness the way men are to. Women are to do it by their submissiveness.