JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Christian Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f44-christian-parenting/)
-   -   Investing time (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f44-christian-parenting/2559178-investing-time.html)

Countrymom4 August 8th, 2012 09:17 PM

Investing time

People invest time and energy into developing their career, their bodies and relationships, but often neglect the spiritual dimension of their lives. How do you actively pursue spiritual growth?

Babymakes8 August 9th, 2012 06:21 AM

Re: Investing time

I'm just beginning to actively pursue spiritual growth, not just for myself but for my family, too. We've put God on the back burner too long.

I started last night, by reading a chapter from the Bible to my children as their bed time story. We started in Genesis, and tonight we'll be reading Genesis Chapter 2.

Part of this is also an attempt on my part to read the Bible from cover to cover.

CalledBlessed August 9th, 2012 09:21 AM

Long time ago I was stressed because I wanted to know everything in the bible and it seemed so big...at that time I had started in the NT and read jude backwards then try to read the gospels...But you are right the best of all place to start is Genesis.There are some many great things to learn there.What I love about God is he made the bible that you have to keep read it over and over again and he gives you new messages every time:)

For myself I'm in 2kings right now...I try to read as much as I can daily and pray.I try to write things down.Things I'm afraid I will forget or something I may have learned and share with my kids.

We do pray over each other...this morning my son was not feeling well so we got together and prayed for him...he does look way better...there is power in prayer.

we try to take anything in the house that is not of God out.We don't have cable they don't have phones....They are not allowed on the internet aless it is something that I approve of....but it is not a control freak thing I am against some of the stuff that I may not beable to stop if we had it although there are some good things to. they enjoy themselves reading and playing games we do watch a lot of christian films....kid movies.

2Corinthians10:4 August 9th, 2012 11:41 AM

We do not just pray at meal times and bed time, each morning when Addi gets up I put her in my lap and we pray together. At night before bed I read my Bible and journal my prayers and thoughts to God-it is a time when I can connect to Him and think through what has happened throughout the day.

aect-mama August 11th, 2012 02:53 PM

I pray and read my bible every day. Sometimes multiple times a day. I keep a devotional journal because sometimes I do better praying through writing to God than speaking to him. I also try really hard to listen for him to speak to me. He does that a lot when I'm listening to a song or watching my kids play. Sometimes he says things to me at the most seemingly random moments. :smile: I also pray a lot and study scripture with my husband and my children.

nurselochia August 11th, 2012 09:49 PM

I pray during the day and I connect with God in a more unconventional way I guess. I run and train for marathons and that is when I feel very close with God. I let my mind be free, I take in the glory of His work when I do my long country runs and I guess its hard to explain, but I just feel connected to Him and thankful that He has given me the ability to do it, and when I'm tired and I want to quit, He helps me finish. I have a set of children's bible books my grandpa bought for me when I was a kid that I read to my kids, and I started reading my Bible about 4 months ago. I'll admit, I don't read regularly, but it's more than I've done in years.

Countrymom4 August 12th, 2012 09:24 AM

I have on my phone the bible so I pick it up and read some devotionals when I can or the bible. I also find myself praying alot when driving. We have a 30 min one way to town so we drive alot :giggle: We do a devotional with the kids before school in the morning too

3TeamH August 12th, 2012 08:00 PM

We have a Bible reading plan that our community group does together so that we can hold one another accountable to being in the Word every day. I sometimes don't get in the Word every day, but I want it to be a top priority. I think I should start journaling again but with the kids being so little it can be hard. I suppose there is no excuse though if I can find time to come on JM ;)