JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Christian Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f44-christian-parenting/)
-   -   Bible Study (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f44-christian-parenting/2584820-bible-study.html)

Countrymom4 October 15th, 2012 10:44 AM

Bible Study

Take it away Ginger :D

mamaginger October 15th, 2012 11:57 AM

Re: Bible Study

Haha....where shall we start? Any suggestions?

crunchywannabe October 16th, 2012 07:25 PM

The Bible Study I've joined locally is working through John, I wouldn't mind starting from Matthew or Acts. I'm not nearly as familiar with the Bible as I should be!

Countrymom4 October 17th, 2012 09:07 PM

Anything you want to teach Ginger !!

mamaginger December 26th, 2012 07:44 AM

First Bible study topic! I wanted to start with this because it's Halloween season and while I am a Halloween lover, I don't like the scary stuff or the celebration of death and gore. I love dressing up as normal characters, trick or treating, hayrides, bonfires, fall leaves, pumpkins, etc. I thought I would start by asking you some questions. You can either copy/paste and answer (even if your answer is "I don't know") or you can just ask yourself and be thinking about it. I'm sure this thread will prob have 30 views and one reply! Lol

I started taking notes on things like astrology, psychics, mediums, and that type of thing about a year ago when I discovered that some good friends of mine believed in this kind of stuff, found it very comforting and believed that psychics/mediums get their "powers" from "god." They asked me why it was ok for prophets in the Bible to predict the future but not ok for a psychic to predict the future. This stumped me at the time. I was also just amazed that somebody I knew really believed in this stuff and it made me wonder how many more do too.

Ok so questions:

Do you believe these people have powers and if so, from whom? (God/Satan/something else)

When a medium seems to contact a dead relative or know true facts about them, how is this possible? Or do you think it's all coincidence/manipulation?

Do you believe in ghosts? If so, what are they? (dead spirits of the once living/demons/angels/something else)

Do you know what a familiar spirit is?

Do you think it's ok to play games that involve Ouija boards, 8 balls, tarot cards or other similar cards, etc?

Is it ok to read horoscopes? Do you believe in horoscopes and reading signs from the stars?

Do you think that the scary movies/tv shows, costumes, haunted houses and other things meant to bring fear "for fun" or things that remind us of death are just "all in good fun" for the Halloween season or do you think there is something darker behind all of it?

Do you think there is an agenda specifically against our children to desensitize them and make them curious/intrigued by things that have always represented the occult? To this question I would just like to add a few movies/shows/commercials off the top of my head: Harry Potter, Twilight, Wizards of Waverly Place, My Babysitter's a Vampire, Vampire Diaries, Bratzillas (dolls that look like witches), Paranorman, and many other commercials I've seen that depict children predicting the future or having supernatural powers or powers similar those from Bewitched.

Is there such thing as a "good witch" and a "bad witch"?

Do you think Christians should participate in a holiday that glamorizes fear and death as a means of entertainment or watch tv/movies or read books that make what use to be the ugly bad guy....now a very sensual, alluring and "good" but misunderstood character?

Ok...before anyone gets mad....lol....let me just say again that we DO celebrate Halloween in the sense that we dress up as non scary characters and go trick or treating. We have pumpkins, fall leaves and orange lights for decorations. And I also am personally a huge Twilight fan. I've read all the books, seen and bought all the movies...but...I'm 33 years old and very secure in my faith and beliefs. Twilight is targeted to kids and teens.

TOPIC 1 CONTINUED....

Ok, I'm going to attempt to post some scripture pertaining to all this. There is so much!

First, here are the references to each "Forbidden Practice" as listed in my Dake study Bible. You can look some of them up on your own. Some I may quote here.

12 Forbidden Heathen Practices:

1. Enchantment - practice of magical arts
(Ex. 7:11, 22; 8:7, 18; Lev.19:26; Deut. 18:10; 2 Chron 33:6; 2 Kings 17:17; 21:6 ; Isaiah 47:9, 12; Jer 27:9; Dan 1:20)

2. Witchcraft - practice of dealing with evil spirits
(Ex. 22:18; Deut. 18:10, 1 Sam 15:23; 2 Chron 33:6; 2 Kings 9:22; Micah 5:12; Nah. 3:4; Galatians 5:19-21)

3. Sorcery - same as witchcraft (this one repeats most of the above passages)

4. Sooth-saying - same as witchcraft " " "

5. Divination - the art of mystic insight or fortune-telling
(Num. 22:7; 23:23; Deut. 18:10-14; 2 Kings 17:17; 1 Sam. 6:2; Jer 14:14; 27:9; 29:8; Ezek. 12:24; 13: 6-7, 23; 21: 22-29; 22:28; Mic. 3:7; Zech. 10:2; Acts 16:16)

6. Wizardry - same as witchcraft but by males

7. Necromancy - divination (fortune telling) by means of PRETENDED communication with the dead.
(Deut. 18:11; Isaiah 8:19; 1 Sam 28; 1 Chron. 10:13)

8. Magic - any pretended supernatural art or practice
(Gen. 41:8, 24; Ex. 7:11, 22; 8:7, 18-19; 9:11; Dan. 1:20; 2:2, 10, 27; 4:7, 9; 5:11; Acts 19:19)

9. Charm - to put a spell on, same as enchantment

10. Prognostication - to foretell by indications, omens, signs, etc. (Isaiah 47:13)

11. Observing Times - same as prognostication (Lev. 19:26; Deut. 18:10; 2 Kings 21:6; 2 Chron. 33:6)

12. Astrology and Star Gazing - fortune telling by stars (Isaiah 47:13, Jer. 10:2; Dan. 1:20; 2:2, 10; 4:7; 5:7-15)

Dake goes on to say "All of the above practices were and still are carried on in connection with demons, called 'familiar spirits.'"

I know some of you already googled it but here is how one website explains familiar spirits:

"In reality mediums are contacting demons who convince the mediums that they are “familiar” and can be trusted and believed. Familiar spirits and spirit guides are under the control of their master, Satan. They influence people to spread lies and deceit in order to thwart the kingdom of God.

1 John 4 talks about "testing the spirits". This is key in deciding whether something is of God or of Satan. I understand that many spiritualists will claim their gift is from God but if they do not acknowledge and give honor to JESUS then they are not of God.

Here's what 1 John 4 says:

"Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not of God. This is the spirit of antichrist...they are from the world; therefore they speak from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God. Whoever knows God listens to us; whoever is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the Spirit of truth and the spirit of error."

Ezekiel 13: 3 says "Woe to the foolish prophets who follow their own spirit, and have seen nothing! vs 6: "They have seen false visions and lying divinations. They say, 'Declares the Lord,' when the Lord has not sent them, and yet they expect him to fulfill their word. Have you not seen a false vision and uttered a lying divination, whenever you have said, 'Declares the Lord,' although I have not spoken?"

Leviticus 20: 6 says "If a person turns to mediums and necromancers, whoring after them, I will set my face against that person..."

Deuteronomy 18: 10 says "There shall not be found among you....anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a necromancer or one who inquires of the dead, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the Lord."

What makes all of it so sinful? (aside from the fact that it comes from demonic forces of course) Isaiah has the answer:

Isaiah 8: 19 "And when they say to you, 'Inquire of the mediums and the necromancers who chirp and mutter, ' should not a people inquire of their God?" <----that's it right there. People will turn to everything but God for answers. Many of them would even say they believe in God but they will turn to a psychic or medium for comfort about their future or reassurance about their dead loved ones. We are to turn to God and His Word ONLY.

mamaginger December 26th, 2012 07:50 AM

TOPIC 1 LAST POST:

In reference to spirits being "stuck" in limbo....

2 Corinthians 5:8 says "We would rather be AWAY from the body and at home with the Lord."

The second before Jesus took his final breath he said "Father, into your hands, I commit my spirit." When Stephen was being stoned to death he said "Father receive my spirit." When the thief hanging on the cross beside Jesus asked to be remembered when jesus came into his kingdom, Jesus replied, "I tell you the truth, TODAY you will be with me in Paradise." These verses tell me that at the moment of death, our spirit goes to God.

The only place I can think of in the Bible that actually TELLS us about someone going to Hell was when the "rich man" dies in Luke 16. Verse 22 says "The rich man also died and was buried, and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes...." So all in one sentence, he was buried and then immediately is in torment in Hell.

I don't believe there are any souls of the dead anywhere except Heaven or Hell. The spirits we may hear or see are demonic. They may be nice and they may be mean, but either way is for the purpose of deception. They can make themselves appear to look and act like a dead loved one because they are familiar enough with them to do this. The Bible says Satan himself can disguise himself as an angel of light. Lets not be fooled by him.

********IF YOU WANT TO COMMENT OR ASK A QUESTION, PLEASE USE THE ORIGINAL THREAD**** HERE IS THE LINK:

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f4...halloween.html