JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Christian Parenting (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f44-christian-parenting/)
-   -   Random Acts of Kindness (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f44-christian-parenting/2634093-random-acts-kindness.html)

Genipher March 12th, 2013 12:22 PM

Random Acts of Kindness

Last year a friend of mine shared how she and her kids occasionally pick a day to perform random acts of kindness. Since then, that idea has been lingering in my mind. So the kids and I found a jar and started collecting money. Once we have enough money saved, we plan on doing something for a random stranger(s).

We've thought of:

*Paying for someone's meal.
*Taping an envelope of money on a random door.
*Buying helium balloons and attaching a bag with little toys to pass out to kids at the park.
*Making gift bags for the homeless.
And we'd probably include a fun Bible tract with every hand-out.

This is really going to stretch me because I am NOT good at talking to or interacting with new people!

Has anyone else tried this before?
Any other ideas that could be added to the list?

left_field March 12th, 2013 09:24 PM

Re: Random Acts of Kindness

Haven't really done it in the way you're describing but helped someone on the spur of the moment. Always a good feeling to know you really made someone's day or helped when they really needed it.

I'd say any of your suggestions would be great except the taping the money to the door. Don't think I'd do that one. I bet a needy kid wold be overjoyed with balloons and toys, and a homeless person with s good hot meal.

God will bless you for your kindness. Keep us posted on some of your stories when you do it.

Buggymom March 13th, 2013 05:18 AM

I've always wanted to do it the way you are talking about. Tuesday when I was getting gas, I thought to myself....if I see an elderly person here I'm going to give them $20 toward their gas. Well....I didn't see anyone....not sure I'd been brave enough to do it or not. I love what you are doing! You could also give someone money towards someones groceries next time you go to the store. God bless!

momie2b9-20-11 March 14th, 2013 11:04 AM

Those are great ideas!! We are tight right now with money but those are great ideas! I try and do things more within our budget. Like, make a meal and bring to an older couple like we did last week. I got the ribs on sale and I didn't spend much at all but they were thrilled and then we spent the evening visiting with them. They were soo excited! And, small things like when we visit friends house a lot and I realized they were running low on soap and I get them some nice bath and Body works soap - simple things but things that help.

Genipher March 14th, 2013 12:20 PM

My husband said that planning it out doesn't make it very "random". Maybe I should just change it to "Acts of Kindness".
But I wanted the kids to have something to save for. And for them to think about how to help others.
I love the other ideas y'all have. Of seeing a need and filling it. I need to pay more attention to that, too, and act on it!

Genipher March 14th, 2013 12:20 PM

What is with the double posting? i'm not clicking twice. In fact, I have to sit and wait for 2 minutes for my posting to actually post! What am I doing wrong??

momie2b9-20-11 March 19th, 2013 03:18 PM

I don't think it matters if you plan it out or not. It's the fact that you are doing things for others and enjoying the giving to others.