JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Closely Spaced Siblings (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f101-closely-spaced-siblings/)
-   -   ways to save money (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f101-closely-spaced-siblings/2358650-ways-to-save-money.html)

acupofjoe June 26th, 2011 12:23 AM

ways to save money

i was thinking maby we could share some ideas on how we save money with our closely spaced kiddos.

-----------------------------

we buy used for the almost everything. toys, books, kids clothes. we shop at the kids consignment store a lot.

we cloth diaper.

they share the toys since they are so close in age they like pretty much the same things. DS has no problem playing with dolls and DD has no problem playing with cars.

i breastfed both of them and plan on doing it again with this next LO.

2pinks&ablue June 26th, 2011 05:54 AM

Re: ways to save money

All of the above :lol:

And, coupons! They don't save me thousands, but every little bit helps, right?

Look for free/very cheap activities for your family.

If you eat out, watch for places that have kids eat free days.

vcoots June 26th, 2011 06:14 AM

Ditto all the above!! I think it's too early in the morning for me to think of anything else, but :includeme:

Just_Marie June 26th, 2011 11:39 AM

we eat out a lot less with four kids
I don't need expensive brandname formula, wipes and diapers, the stuff at Costco and walmart work just fine
I'm okay with used kids clothes since they don't get much wear at all
kids can wear shoes from Walmart and survive just fine
the library is a great resource for movie and book rentals, we haven't paid for a movie rental in three years, they also have great free programs for kids
I can teach kids under four just by taking them swimming once a week than they seem to learn in paid lessons at $40/kid for six days
store brand foods look just as good in the garbage can as brand name foods at the end of a meal when the kids haven't emptied their plates

sarah* June 26th, 2011 12:20 PM

Great ideas... we don;t do anything different than what is already mentioned :D

Taramomof3 June 27th, 2011 09:05 AM

hand me downs are my friend! haha about 97% of the kids clothes are hand me downs, also we on b-days we tell people gifts are not nessesary and if they insist (which they usualy do) we give them thier clothing size ;) even I wear alot fo hand me downs from my sil and shop at thrift stores.

we cloth diaper

coupons

I make meals homemade istead of paying for packaging to get a "quick meal" homemade cheese buger maccaroni is just as fast and cheep to make as the store bought and you don't get all the preservitives in it and can make as much as you want. (we would need at least 2 boxed of hamburger helper to feed us all)

Craig takes left overs for lunch at work instead of buying extra stuff for him to take.

we rarely eat out, I can make homemade pizza and bugers for way cheeper then buying them.

we only gets things as we need it, not we might need it in the future type thing.

there are lots of free and cheap things to do with the kids :)

thats all I can think of right now

LJD3Tdance June 27th, 2011 04:19 PM

I suck at saving...end of story.