JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Closely Spaced Siblings (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f101-closely-spaced-siblings/)
-   -   2 under 2 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f101-closely-spaced-siblings/2518332-2-under-2-a.html)

*Rosie* April 23rd, 2012 08:01 PM

2 under 2

Does anyone have any helpful advice on how to deal with 2 under 2?

I may need a c-section with this pregnancy, my Ob said she will support me if I want to try a VBAC, but we;ll see how that goes...

I'm a little anxious about how I'll care for my children when I'm home alone...

Kiwi May 7th, 2012 01:19 AM

Re: 2 under 2

Great question, I was coming here to ask the same thing! I have a 16 month old and am due to have another in August (they will be 19.5 months apart). I have a hard enough time dealing with one child, don't know how I'm going to cope with another, lol!

sarah* May 9th, 2012 01:10 PM

my girls are 12months apart and my second and third are just under 2 years apart..

It's hard going from 1 to 2 no matter what the age gap, its a big adjustment when you are just used to dealing with 1, obviously it becomes a bit harder but its never as bad as you think it's going to be, the first few weeks are tough but as soon as you figure out a routine you will be fine.

With two so young you just need to learn to organise (things out the day before so no rushing etc) planning trips in advance :)

Happy Song May 18th, 2012 10:27 AM

Tip: let teh baby cry. A fed baby that has all it's needs met can cry for the time it take you to 1. Pee/potty 2. grab a bite. However when a baby wakes up or has played/swun/been happy for a while you need to meet their needs as immediately as possible. Know now that you are going to have to let the baby cry longer than you want if your toddler needs food/bath/is in danger.

Two is not bad at all. The baby stay where you put it and under two year old can be contained easily.

Do not plan on cooking at dinner time. Make ahead meals like a crock pot/casserol/ or toss in the oven things are going to save your life. Babies and toddlers are crazy at dinner time.

flylady.com helps you get things done in 15 min increments this will help because you will have small 15 minutes to get things done all day you just have to nuse them wisely.

I have Scarlett 3.5 Beau 20 months and Tessa 6 months.

If you brreastfeed, the more you feed at night the less she'll eat during the day.

So people try to get their kids asleep at the same time. i prefered staggered naps so I had time with my toddler twice during the day and I could shower in the small overlap in the after naps.

Libby22 May 19th, 2012 05:41 PM

I had mum to look after sophie when I gave birth. Its hard work with 2 under 2

JoyfulChaosMama June 12th, 2012 06:03 PM

Babywearing is a life saver with closely spaced babies. Especially if you can get a good secure back carry for the littlest one - really frees you up so baby doesn't have to be left to cry. (not my style at all!)

Also, we tend to be harder on ourselves and higher expectations about the house and things that *need* to get done then what is really necessary. Accept that things (ie. the house) are going to be less than perfect and that is okay. And then, on the other hand, we have low expectations about what the older sibling may be able to do. My 2 year olds are capable of feeding the dogs, sorting silverwear, and helping sort and move laundry. (all with me supervising, but this encourages them and prepares them to help out more as they get older.)

It is a blessing and a challenge having closely spaced babies. You are getting ready to embark on the hardest part. It gets easier as they get older, yet there are tremendous blessings at each stage.

anexia June 19th, 2012 08:36 PM

I suggest baby slings and a very toddler safe room. I gated off my living room and totally baby proofed so that I could nurse my finicky baby without my very active toddler getting into trouble.

Noix July 18th, 2012 04:29 AM

Mine are 13 months apart and second was also a cesarian! I just compleatly babyproofed the living room, and gated of the kitchen and then we just stayed in there :p it was hard but very fun! Now they are 2 and 3 and really good friends

Isabree July 18th, 2012 03:30 PM

I could have wrote the exact same thing as noix! lol

TerriLF August 15th, 2012 11:33 AM

My kids were 20 months apart and I felt the same way. I had a csection with the second because she was breach and I would choose to have another one. It was planned and was so smooth. The recovery was easier because I took everyones advice and forced myself to get up out of bed and make laps in the hospital the day after the csection. I did this every few hours and in 2 days I felt 80%. My mom was there to help me for a few weeks at home and that helped alot but it is true. Let the baby cry. Somedays you were be completely overwhelmed but remember it will pass and tomorrow is a new day. Get on a schedule ASAP. I nursed for about a year so that wasn't scheduled really but still overall..I knew when I was going to try for naptimes and try for lunch..thats all you can do is try your best. You will survive it and they will survive it. Take the help when people offer!!! I'd say the first month or two is the hardest..and I've heard the jump from 1 to 2 is the hardest..but I don't have anything to compare it to..it is all worth giving your children a sibling though. They will have someone to have by their side for the rest of their lives.