JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Cloth Diapering (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f200-cloth-diapering/)
-   -   Absorption problem (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f200-cloth-diapering/2641709-absorption-problem.html)

MarylandMama April 8th, 2013 07:23 PM

Absorption problem

So I prepped my inserts, both the microfiber and the bamboo. I wanted to compare them to see which was more absorbent to decide whether or not it was worth it to spend the extra money on the bamboo when I really stock up. I prepped them both in exactly the same way, put one insert of each type onto paper towels (to be able to see any soaking through), and poured one tablespoon of water onto each one. The water leaked straight through both. Did I do something wrong? It seemed like nothing absorbed. I'm wondering if I screwed up in prepping somehow, but even without being prepped at all, I feel like one tablespoon of water is not a lot to hold. I am concerned and wondering if I made a mistake... Does anyone know what is going on?

MamaLemonade April 8th, 2013 07:47 PM

Bamboo & hemp absorbs slower then microfiber, when there "flooded" they "usually" leak because of they absorb slower. That's why most people use a MF insert on top of a bamboo or hemp.

Bamboo/Hemp if your prepping them can take multiple(6-10+) washes to be fully prepped & get to there maximum absorbency ( you could always cheat and boil them for 30 mins an then it doesn't take so many washes)

Ill try to find the links to some good reads or you tube :)

HTH mama

tryn1998 April 8th, 2013 08:23 PM

Re: Absorption problem

Microfiber doesn't need any prep, just one wash, but bamboo can take many washes to get to it's max absorbency. Any insert will likely saturate it all the way through, that is why the covers have PUL or TPU to keep it from leaking out. I've never had a problem with either with a good pocket or cover. The real test will be putting it on the babe.

alittlelost April 9th, 2013 06:00 PM

They need more prepping, and you always need a waterproof cover. The best way to test absorbency is to fill two bowls with qual amounts of water, submerge both, wait a little bit, then take both out and see how much water remains in each. The one with less water remaining in the bowl absorbed more.

MarylandMama April 11th, 2013 05:34 AM

Ok, so I shouldn't worry about leaking? That's what this has made me afraid of.

tryn1998 April 13th, 2013 04:26 PM

In the event that the baby has an especially wet diaper, yes, leaks could happen (typical for toddler pees where more absorption would be necessary anyway), but for a normal amount of pee, both bamboo and microfiber inserts should not leak when they are put with their covers and on the baby.