JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Cloth Diapering (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f200-cloth-diapering/)
-   -   Still havent issues (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f200-cloth-diapering/2645490-still-havent-issues.html)

Erin.minus.thyroid April 23rd, 2013 09:01 PM

Still havent issues
 
I really dont know what else to try with our diapers. My daughter has been having major rash problems lately. Its been about 2 months now that she constantly has a bright red butt whenever she is in her cloth diapers. If I continue to use them she will get open wounds and scabs in a day of use. The diapers smell and look clean out of the dryer, BUT out of the washer they dont smell good (more of a poo smell than a urine/ammonia smell). Then as soon as she pees on them they smell like ammonia or urine depending on the diaper.

I wash with hot water. I had to play around with my HE to get it to actually put real hot water in there but ive fixed that part. I switched from Charlies soap to Rockin Green Motley clean (for regular water as we dont have hard or soft water here). I tried bleach, that helped get rid of the smell at the time but didnt stop the rash and they started to smell again the next wash (i think maybe the bleach smell just covered the smell before). I tried hanging them in the sun, it made them smell really nice that time but as soon as she peed the smell was back and the rash was back. I tried RLR stripping them and that again made them smell better and look brighter but didnt stop the rash and the smell came back immediately.

I have mostly BG Elementals which are organic cotton. I also have a rumparooz which has fleece lining (i stuff with a prefold), unbleached prefolds, bleached cotton flats, hemp/cotton inserts, bamboo inserts. They ALL cause this rash!

We've been using disposables because the only thing that clears up the rash is to cake on the Bordeaux butt paste at all times. It helps heal it but if i ever stop using the butt paste even in the disposable the rash comes back pretty quickly. I put a BGE on her today for a couple of hours and when I changed her, her butt was bright red and it was nearly dry in the diaper.

I dont know what else to try. I talked to her doctor and she said its common and gave me a prescription for some antibiotic cream which I didnt like the idea of but since its been going on for months I thought we would try it and it is not helping and since im using that instead of the butt paste the rash is getting worse. I stopped using it and put the butt paste back on.

Any ideas?? It doesnt seem to coincide with anything she is eating. The only thing she eats on a daily basis is breastmilk and water. She has been breastfeeding since birth and i havent changed my diet. She has been in cloth full time since 3 mo old (part time before that because of fit problems). The detergent was always the same until i recently switched because of the rash. I would really appreciate any ideas. I REALLY dont want to keep her in disposables with butt paste on her for any longer

Mountain Momma April 24th, 2013 09:39 AM

Re: Still havent issues
 
Have you tried stripping your diapers. I use Rockin Green soap to wash with and they also make a product called Funk Rock that helps you strip the amonia build-up out. Once a month I feel the bathtub at night with the hotest water I can get and let all my diapers (covers and liners) soak overnight. In the morning I do a quick rinse cycle in our front load HE machine and then do an extended wash with an extra rinse. I also throw 2 old beach towels in each load to make the machine use more water. I can tell a big difference in the diapers smell after stripping them. Hope this helps, red butt is no fun!

Erin.minus.thyroid April 24th, 2013 12:34 PM

Re: Still havent issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Momma (Post 27312058)
Have you tried stripping your diapers. I use Rockin Green soap to wash with and they also make a product called Funk Rock that helps you strip the amonia build-up out. Once a month I feel the bathtub at night with the hotest water I can get and let all my diapers (covers and liners) soak overnight. In the morning I do a quick rinse cycle in our front load HE machine and then do an extended wash with an extra rinse. I also throw 2 old beach towels in each load to make the machine use more water. I can tell a big difference in the diapers smell after stripping them. Hope this helps, red butt is no fun!

thank you.
I have only tried stripping using the RLR so far. I will look for Funk Rock. I hadnt even thought about using the bathtub for soaking. I have a HE top loader and it will drain if left to soak more than 30mins. Last time I soaked and i had to keep running back to the machine every 30mins to reset the soak time so that it wouldnt drain, i really prefer to soak overnight, i cant believe I didnt think of just putting it in the bathtub. Thanks

alittlelost April 24th, 2013 06:45 PM

Re: Still havent issues
 
I would just get AWAY From the Rockin Green--most cloth diaper moms I know don't recommend it and say they have had problems with it. Try Country Save, BumGenius detergent, or heck, even TIDE! This sounds like an issue with the wash routine. Detergent aside, what is your wash routine? You may need more/less detergent, an extra rinse, etc. You can also try line-drying/sunning and then popping in the dryer to fluff. Also, until the rash is gone, you may want to do some naked time or use fitteds without covers for breathe-ability.

MerinSun April 25th, 2013 09:40 AM

Re: Still havent issues
 
I was thinking of this post today. How do you store your soiled diapers? Do you use a closed wetbag or laundry bag? We use an open one so that the air can get to them and we never smell ammonia on them.

countrygirl95648 April 25th, 2013 03:36 PM

Re: Still havent issues
 
A common way to get a urine smell out is using Vinegar. Sometime when my old towels smell musty or like now when I am raising a litter of 9 puppies I use vinegar in the wash and it safe and the smell is gone. I use a homemade detergent of borax, baking soda super wash and fels naptha, I ad the vinegar where the fabric softener goes. Works for the smell, safe for the baby. Also here is some info from another mom that has a diaper rash problem...
Chronic Diaper Rash on Your Baby? You're Not Alone! - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Erin.minus.thyroid April 26th, 2013 08:20 PM

Re: Still havent issues
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by alittlelost (Post 27313932)
I would just get AWAY From the Rockin Green--most cloth diaper moms I know don't recommend it and say they have had problems with it. Try Country Save, BumGenius detergent, or heck, even TIDE! This sounds like an issue with the wash routine. Detergent aside, what is your wash routine? You may need more/less detergent, an extra rinse, etc. You can also try line-drying/sunning and then popping in the dryer to fluff. Also, until the rash is gone, you may want to do some naked time or use fitteds without covers for breathe-ability.

honestly, i dont think its the detergent. i have been through several brands now and with the charlies we used it since she was born with no reactions and then all of the sudden there is rash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerinSun (Post 27315366)
I was thinking of this post today. How do you store your soiled diapers? Do you use a closed wetbag or laundry bag? We use an open one so that the air can get to them and we never smell ammonia on them.

Ive normally kept it open, occasionally i will set the lid on top but it is not sealed on. either way same problem

Quote:

Originally Posted by countrygirl95648 (Post 27316486)
A common way to get a urine smell out is using Vinegar. Sometime when my old towels smell musty or like now when I am raising a litter of 9 puppies I use vinegar in the wash and it safe and the smell is gone. I use a homemade detergent of borax, baking soda super wash and fels naptha, I ad the vinegar where the fabric softener goes. Works for the smell, safe for the baby. Also here is some info from another mom that has a diaper rash problem...
Chronic Diaper Rash on Your Baby? You're Not Alone! - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

i thought of vinegar because i use it on towels for this same reason. Bumgenius recommends against it though

alittlelost April 27th, 2013 08:30 AM

Re: Still havent issues
 
When a problem pops up suddenly, it can often be from build up. So a detergent that has worked may slowly be creating a problem that doesn't present itself for months. Some mamas even switch their detergent every other wash or every so often between detergents that work for them to help with this (kind of like switching shampoo brands every so often can help your hair).

alwayssmile April 28th, 2013 12:23 AM

Re: Still havent issues
 
My first thought was the strip the diapers by hot water. It's annoying (especially with an HE), but wash them with just hot water (no detergent) as many times as you can one day.

I agree to avoid using RnG. That stuff created more issues than it solved for me. I've lived and traveled in a lot of areas with various water types (military family) and the only detergent that's worked well everywhere for me is Crunchy Clean. Although for your sake right now I'd use whatever you have handy! You may be using too much detergent for an HE with CDs. Sometimes the issue is not enough detergent, but I'd first consider too much detergent or not enough water to get the detergent that is being used completely out of the diapers.

Another idea I have is that she has a sensitivity. You say without the cream she has issues with disposables too, right? I do know other kiddos who can't use any microfiber or even ANY man made materials (like the stay dry material on AIOs) without there being rash issues. Something to think about!

MerinSun April 28th, 2013 07:31 PM

Re: Still havent issues
 
That's true. Maybe once the rash is cleared up again try to just snappi a prefold onto her without any kind of a liner and no cover. You'll have to change her as soon as you can feel she's damp but that might help you figure out if it is any cloth at all.

Do the prefolds themselves smell of ammonia when wet?

LABs April 28th, 2013 11:05 PM

Re: Still havent issues
 
Do you have a dishwasher? Try putting the diapers in the top rack and see if they strip better that way. I would use vinegar also.

Erin.minus.thyroid April 30th, 2013 06:00 PM

Re: Still havent issues
 
Thanks everyone who is making suggestions! I can use all the ideas i can get


Quote:

Originally Posted by alittlelost (Post 27320585)
When a problem pops up suddenly, it can often be from build up. So a detergent that has worked may slowly be creating a problem that doesn't present itself for months. Some mamas even switch their detergent every other wash or every so often between detergents that work for them to help with this (kind of like switching shampoo brands every so often can help your hair).

I thought of that too and i have tried several different soaps BUT i was trying samples mainly since i didnt want to buy large amounts and find out it wasnt good. I really used more like 2 or 3 times per detergent with about 4 brands. Nothing seemed to be different with any of them.


Quote:

Originally Posted by alwayssmile (Post 27321849)
My first thought was the strip the diapers by hot water. It's annoying (especially with an HE), but wash them with just hot water (no detergent) as many times as you can one day.

I agree to avoid using RnG. That stuff created more issues than it solved for me. I've lived and traveled in a lot of areas with various water types (military family) and the only detergent that's worked well everywhere for me is Crunchy Clean. Although for your sake right now I'd use whatever you have handy! You may be using too much detergent for an HE with CDs. Sometimes the issue is not enough detergent, but I'd first consider too much detergent or not enough water to get the detergent that is being used completely out of the diapers.

Another idea I have is that she has a sensitivity. You say without the cream she has issues with disposables too, right? I do know other kiddos who can't use any microfiber or even ANY man made materials (like the stay dry material on AIOs) without there being rash issues. Something to think about!

I did the hot water wash several times and i saw no bubbles coming out and it didnt seem to do anything. I always make sure i have lots of hot water even though its a pain with my HE i keep hitting the "add more water" button until it is full. Almost all of my diapers are natural fibers (cotton, hemp, bamboo) we only have one that has fleece inside and we dont use microfiber at all. Im afraid the sensitivity is the problem. I just dont understand why its all of the sudden since she has worn them or over a year without a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MerinSun (Post 27323224)
That's true. Maybe once the rash is cleared up again try to just snappi a prefold onto her without any kind of a liner and no cover. You'll have to change her as soon as you can feel she's damp but that might help you figure out if it is any cloth at all.

Do the prefolds themselves smell of ammonia when wet?

we've tried prefolds but not without a cover. i dont have any prefolds that are big enough to use snappi'd anymore. i do have some flats though that i could try this with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LABs (Post 27323516)
Do you have a dishwasher? Try putting the diapers in the top rack and see if they strip better that way. I would use vinegar also.

ive heard of this but DH would kill me if i put them in the dishwasher LOL. I might try vinegar next.

lnj5duke April 30th, 2013 09:23 PM

Re: Still havent issues
 
I am still new to this, but there is a wicking fabric by Babyville that is pretty cheap. It is basically like the fabric used in athletic shirts and stuff. Maybe you could try that as a liner? I use it to make the top layer of DD2's inserts, and it keeps her dry (just like fleece), but it also keeps her skin a lot cooler (she was sweating a bunch in the microfleece). I cut rectangles about 5.5"x15" and lay them over the top of my organic cotton inserts, since she isn't a fan of feeling wet.

Here is a link to the fabric: Babyville- Stay Dri Wicking Fabric & utility fabrics at Joann.com

MerinSun May 2nd, 2013 10:57 AM

Re: Still havent issues
 
I just went past my son's CD hamper and it reeked of ammonia. I did some digging and found out that that 2 of my inserts (microfiber and hemp mixes) were the offenders. I'm currently hot water stripping them (and all my other inserts just in case) and then I'm going to sun dry them. None of my prefolds smell though. I'm also going to treat my inserts in a different wash than my prefolds for the next wash or two to make sure that the issue is just with the inserts. If the problem persists I will probably take them out of rotation and stuff my pocket diapers with a prefold.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright © 2003-2012 JustMommies.com, All Rights Reserved.