JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Cloth Diapering (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f200-cloth-diapering/)
-   -   Who has experience with rashes? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f200-cloth-diapering/2658395-who-has-experience-rashes.html)

Erin.minus.thyroid June 13th, 2013 01:48 PM

Who has experience with rashes?

I could use some advice or many just someone else who might catch something that i missed. I dont know what is going on with my DD that is causing her rashes. This is what I know so far:

1. her cloth diapers all cause rash in less than a day and redness within an hour of wearing one.

2. all cloth diapers are cotton, cotton/hemp, cotton/bamboo, bamboo with no top layer to wick away moisture EXCEPT one rumparooz that has a microfleece pocket that I stuff with a cotton prefold. I see no difference in any of the fabrics in terms of how fast they cause a rash.

3. Ive tried several detergents and nothing changes in the rashes. I even tried an additive that is supposed to get rid of ammonia from rockin green. I dont think the detergent is the issue because of this. I also have used the same detergent i use on her clothing and her clothes dont give her a rash.

4. Ive tried bleach and sunning the diapers to disinfect. Neither changed anything in the rashes.

5. I have tried cloth safe diaper creams and they do nothing. The only cream that works is butt paste (even prescription did nothing) which is not cloth safe. I used it with the cloth using cloth wipes as barriers and it worked but as soon as I stopped using the paste on the rash would come back immediately.

6. Pampers give her no rash even without butt paste and her butt is never red in them.

7. I tried some chlorine-free diapers from toys r us called Babyganics, and they didnt give her a rash but they did cause the butt to get red. The diapers say "Made with Chlorine Free, bio-based materials. NO latex, toxins, petroleum based lotions or fragrance".

8. She wore the same diapers with the same detergent, same water, same everything since she was born (some she started at 3mo old because of the size) and never had a problem but then around 13mo it all started. We've been dealing with this since February.

9. The only other times she has gotten a rash besides her butt was a few times her amber teething necklace caused a rash on one side of her neck. I find this odd since if it were the amber causing it, wouldnt she have a rash all around her neck? I took the necklace off of her (both because of the rash and then later i put in on her and she started chewing on it and broke off some beads).

So....why is all the more natural stuff causing rashes?? My DH says her body is rebelling against my crunchiness. I just dont know what I am doing wrong. I know there is plenty of HOT water in the wash. Ive tried less detergent or more detergent too. I have looked at the foods she eats thinking maybe allergy but nothing fits. I thought maybe teething but its been going on for 4 months now. The docs didnt know and just gave me a prescription rash cream that did nothing. Do I just keep her in pampers until she potty trains? I really dont want to do that but I wont let her constantly have a rash. Her rash isnt just a mild rash either, it bleeds and scabs. what would you do?

BlessedMommyx June 14th, 2013 09:07 PM

Re: Who has experience with rashes?

She could just be allergic to the farbrics on the cloth. My little one is opposite, I had her in disposables from the beginning. A couple months ago, we made the switch to size 3 diapers. And all of a sudden she started getting blistering rashes. We switched to cloth and no rashes anymore. I had her in a disposable 2 days ago due to diareeah and she has a blistering rash again. She is allergic to whatever is in the disposable diapers. My guess, is yours is allergic to the cloth. Have you tried other brands of cloths? You may have to switch to disposable if she isnt getting a reaction to them.

WorkerBeeMama June 17th, 2013 10:58 AM

I would post on baby center's cloth diapering site and see what the ladies over there say.

I haven't CD'ed yet so I don't have any feedback, but it sounds like it would be very puzzling and frustrating. Hugs!

Erin.minus.thyroid June 17th, 2013 11:23 AM

thank you ladies for your responses!

I am now confused even more as all of the sudden she is getting the rash in pampers too. She has been doing pretty good in them since February (i was going off and on with them trying the cloth but every time in the pampers since Feb has been good).

the more things causing it the more i keep thinking its not the diapers at all, taht its something else

WorkerBeeMama June 17th, 2013 11:49 AM

Hmm, possibly food allergies?

angelsailor288 June 17th, 2013 07:37 PM

This happens to Nicholas when he eats a lot of grapes. Blistering rashes. Only thing that clears it up is neosporin.

Have you tried cloth with the disposable inserts? Like Grovia?
What are you wiping her with?

Erin.minus.thyroid June 18th, 2013 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelsailor288 (Post 27455789)
This happens to Nicholas when he eats a lot of grapes. Blistering rashes. Only thing that clears it up is neosporin.

Have you tried cloth with the disposable inserts? Like Grovia?
What are you wiping her with?

we used flips with disposable inserts for a while until we ran out, then i got pampers because they are easier to get. I still have trouble remembering to buy diapers before i run out. the flips worked fine.

right now i am using huggies wipes because it was a pain to use the cloth wipes and the disposable diapers. The wipes dont seem to make a difference, ive used store brands, pampers, huggies and the cloth and no difference.

Today she woke up with red bumps around her mouth and the butt rash was worse even with the butt paste all night. I'm trying to figure out if there is anything food she has eaten that causes the rashes but i cant think of anything. Im also breastfeeding still (not much but some) so im looking at my own food consumption as well.

angelsailor288 June 20th, 2013 02:50 PM

Hmmm definitely could be a food allergy then.
I know with Nicholas I have to be super careful what I wipe him with.
What about her shampoo/soap?

lnj5duke June 21st, 2013 09:06 PM

What about heat rash? I know that is kind of out there, but I lived in Virginia as a kid and I struggled with it. I'm just trying to think of things that haven't been suggested...

BlessedMommyx June 21st, 2013 09:40 PM

Is she teething??? POor things can get bad rashes while they teethe.

Erin.minus.thyroid June 27th, 2013 08:51 PM

hand foot and mouth disease is what she had.
the rash is mostly cleared up now but i still have her in pampers using the cream the doc gave us. Hoping to move back to the cloth once everything is totally cleared up.
thanks for all the help ladies

LABs June 30th, 2013 12:32 PM

I'm glad you found a cause to the rash on her mouth. Are you using a stay dry liner? Her skin might be reacting to the fabric next to her. I'd get a yd of micro fleece or suede cloth. Wash it well, cut into rectangles or shaped and see if that works. I had to do that with my first baby. Her skin was perfect with a stay dry liner. I've used a lining fabric since and my babies never got rashes!