JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   December 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Heartburn already?? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/2645703-heartburn-already.html)

Jodimarie April 24th, 2013 01:51 PM

Heartburn already??

I have been getting heartburn every day already! I have been taking Tums a few times a day and usually if I got heartburn one would be enough for the whole day.. I thought it started when the baby got bigger? lol Does anyone know if the Prilosec heartburn pills are ok to take during pregnancy? Sorry if this was posted before already :)

HeartHelloKitty April 24th, 2013 01:57 PM

Re: Heartburn already??

Heartburn is one of my earliest pregnancy symptoms! I'm not sure what you can take for it safely besides tums though. That's usually what I use.

Kaniscooo April 24th, 2013 02:04 PM

Yep! I've been getting it too. As weird as it sounds, pickle juice will get rid of it. Drink just a little when you're having heartburn and it'll calm it down. Promise :) I kept some on hand alll the time with DD.

Jodimarie April 24th, 2013 02:05 PM

:shame:I had no idea it started right away! LOL ^^^ I should try that pickle juice idea, sounds interesting :)

anybodyinthere April 24th, 2013 03:35 PM

I already have it, too. It was BY FAR MY WORST SYMPTOM LAST TIME. It was so bad that I choked on stomach acid every night for the last 3 months. Pure torture. I dreaded going to bed. :( They gave me IV pepcid during labor and if I had to pick between that and an epi, I would seriously have to think...

I am going to get Rx antacid this time. I cannot go through that again.

Brittanie April 24th, 2013 03:36 PM

Yep! Nearly immediately you start to make a hormone that relaxes smooth muscle. Your uterus is made of smooth muscle, so it helps keep contractions at bay as it stretches. Unfortunately, your intestines, stomach and esophagus are all made of smooth muscle as well. So your esophagus isn't as good at closing and keeping acid where it is.

And I've taken both zantac and prilosec while pregnant.

ErinBoshnyak1985 April 24th, 2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kaniscooo (Post 27312975)
Yep! I've been getting it too. As weird as it sounds, pickle juice will get rid of it. Drink just a little when you're having heartburn and it'll calm it down. Promise :) I kept some on hand alll the time with DD.

Gross, but helpful! Actually pickles do sound really good right now.....

As for heartburn, yeah, kicked in over the last couple days. I think as far as meds, tums or rolaids only.

Kaniscooo April 24th, 2013 09:58 PM

It's a simple cheap and natural solution. I had it so bad I'd throw up... But pickle juice was a god send. There's a science behind it but I don't remember how it works. Try it! :)

BoyerMom April 24th, 2013 10:34 PM

I have been getting it recently. Was one of the worst symptoms I had with DS. I remember throwing up it was so bad the last few months. I don't care for pickles, so for now I am sticking with Tums.

And that whole myth about heartburn and babies with a full head of hair was true with my son.

CherryLimeade April 24th, 2013 10:51 PM

I had terrible acid reflux last pregnancy, tried pickle juice but it only worked temporarily. I started eating papaya enzymes religiously and that gave me some relief, until the very end, nothing helped once i got really big. Pretty much just had to sleep sitting up.

I'm having my first bout of acid reflux right now. :(

And my son was very hairy lol! He had hair on the back of his ears for the first few months!

Jodimarie April 25th, 2013 07:49 AM

I cant have heartburn like this until dec! lol I read around a little bit and from that and what a few of you ladies said it seems that prilosec is ok to take while pregnant. I am going to call my dr for sure but I will probably be starting that to see if it can help :) Neeeeed heartburn relief! lol

Miss-Melissa-Sue April 25th, 2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brittanie (Post 27313329)
Yep! Nearly immediately you start to make a hormone that relaxes smooth muscle. Your uterus is made of smooth muscle, so it helps keep contractions at bay as it stretches. Unfortunately, your intestines, stomach and esophagus are all made of smooth muscle as well. So your esophagus isn't as good at closing and keeping acid where it .

I had no idea that's what caused it! It makes sense to me now. I've had heartburn off and on but that's how my last pregnancy was too.

jwitak April 25th, 2013 11:59 AM

Prilosec is on my dr otc list so I assume its safe I've had heartburn since day one. The only thing that works fir me is whole milk.

Oriyan April 25th, 2013 12:53 PM

Tums is supposed to be avoided in the 1st tri but is safe in 2 and 3. Zantac and pepcid are safe (Cat B). Prilosec is Cat C.

I have heartburn city today.

HeartHelloKitty April 25th, 2013 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oriyan (Post 27316010)
Tums is supposed to be avoided in the 1st tri but is safe in 2 and 3. Zantac and pepcid are safe (Cat B). Prilosec is Cat C.

I have heartburn city today.

Really? My ob last time and midwife this time both recommended tums at my first appointment.