JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   December 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Disappointing first appointment (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/2647975-disappointing-first-appointment.html)

monkeymama2 May 3rd, 2013 11:50 AM

Disappointing first appointment

Went in today. Waited a long time, in waiting room and exam room. Finally doc came in (had him for all pregnancies and really like him). Went in about ow I was experienced, so maybe that's why he was so....blunt? Asked me a million questions, went through all the advanced maternal age stuff (ugh), no u/s, no Doppler (too early he said). Did a pap and exam and said uterus felt like 8 weeks roughly so it felt right. He actually said "don't tell the world yet". If I'm "still pg" at next appt, THEN I can tell the world.

?!?! I mean, I understand that m/c is still a risk. But come on!! I barely talked because I was afraid I'd cry. I had planned to tell my family and friends this weekend. But I felt like I'd have to say "I'm pregnant, but....". I know that the reason he didn't give me a u/s was because I have no issues--leading, cramping etc., and I know when I conceived, but still.

So....I found a place near me that does u/s and for $39 they will do a quick 2d. So in going tonight! I want to be ale to tell my parents tomorrow and I'll feel better if I see the heartbeat.

*Leah* May 3rd, 2013 11:53 AM

Re: Disappointing first appointment

OMG! I'm sorry he was SO rude. Everything sounds more than fine with you, so WHY would he say that? I'm glad you are getting an U/S. I'm sure it will be great. Update us when you can!

ChicaChels May 3rd, 2013 12:10 PM

wow.....rude...thats awful

kayakr May 3rd, 2013 01:10 PM

That was pretty crummy of him to say. He should have done an u/s specially because of your age and if he really felt that way. It's not to early to see a heartbeat. You did the right thing to get your own u/s anyways.

full0grace May 3rd, 2013 02:09 PM

I can't believe these stories about horrible doctors. Working with the fertility clinic has been great.....you get 2 ultrasounds by 8 wks no problem. Now I'll have to see how things go with the OBGYN.

xagamama May 3rd, 2013 02:12 PM

I'm so sorry he was so insensitive and rude! You would think they would know better in this profession!!

NCRG2010 May 3rd, 2013 06:30 PM

Change dr. Immediately!

Brittanie May 3rd, 2013 06:37 PM

Oh my goodness, I don't get why he would say something like that!

And yes, 9w might be too early for a doppler, but not an ultrasound.

Jessimaaka May 3rd, 2013 06:54 PM

Wow! How rude! I'm glad you're able to set your mind at ease tonight. KUP and show us pictures!

bundle2baby May 3rd, 2013 07:15 PM

Wow! That doc was completely out of line! I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable under his care after hearing that.

Kivett12 May 3rd, 2013 07:26 PM

I would definitely be finding another OB! It kills me that people like this decide to practice medicine. I understand they deal with pg's day in and day out, but at least be respectful. I'm so sorry. It looks like you have already had your 2D u/s completed so, WOOHOO for that! Thankfully you had that option.

**jessie** May 4th, 2013 12:48 AM

What a bummer, but that is a great price for a private u/s. Have fun!!!

monkeymama2 May 4th, 2013 05:27 AM

He's usually not bad--he delivered my 3 kids and did so well. This is my first "issue". I plan to speak to him about it at my next appt. if it was my first with him I'd definitely switch! But I have a good history. Hopefully it was just an off day for him. I wish I had spoken up more at the time.

kara74 May 4th, 2013 06:50 AM

That was a really unnecessary comment he made. My OB doesn't do an u/s same day as the appt. but they do schedule one about a week later. I don't think no u/s is a big deal but the comment was strange for sure.

ChicaChels May 4th, 2013 08:13 AM

How did your ultrasound go?

monkeymama2 May 4th, 2013 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChicaChels (Post 27339114)
How did your ultrasound go?

Great! See my "got to seethe baby" post. :smile:

ChicaChels May 4th, 2013 11:23 AM

i just saw it! so relieved you got some peace of mind :wub:

eilla05 May 4th, 2013 03:10 PM

Glad you had the U/S! I would speak to him and if he did it again for sure find a new doc. If that would have been me....he wouldn't have wanted me as a patient ;)

summerbaby1 May 4th, 2013 08:52 PM

I dont understand what is with some of these people in the medical profession. I've seen more care and concern in funeral homes. I too had an absolutely horrible first appt. the nasty woman mentioned m/c dnc and all sorts of awful stressful things to the point where I was shaking and sobbing and couldn't drive home. Next time if they start saying these negative things I'm going let my anger get the best of me and I'm gonna let them know exactly what I think. I'll be praying for you that all goes smoothly with your pregnancy.