JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   December 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Baby name question (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/2651212-baby-name-question.html)

*~ Joni ~* May 17th, 2013 06:08 AM

Baby name question

We're leaning toward the name Jocelyn for a girl but people keep mispronouncing it. How would you pronounce Jocelyn if you saw it written?

We're going for JOSS-a-lyn. 3 syllables, short O.

But some people read it as JOSE-lyn. 2 syllables, long O.

So we're considering the spelling Josalyn. Think that will help?

ETA - I put up a poll about the spelling if anyone wants to vote :) HERE

DavidandJaidonsmomma May 17th, 2013 06:12 AM

Re: Baby name question

I would pronounce it Joss-a-lyn with both spellings.

kayakr May 17th, 2013 06:46 AM

I like the "S" spelling of it. That makes me pronounce it correctly. Pretty name! :)

redbirds May 17th, 2013 07:01 AM

Same way you would, Joss-a-lyn. Where are they getting the other from? I've only seen it spelled that way, and pronounced that way. Strange :mellow:

Pretty name, to go with all of your other J names. We do K's ;) but DH and I don't have K names, just the kids ;)

anyway, I understand wanting to make it phonetically correct with spelling, but it just looks off to me with the s, but I think it's because I know it as it should be (the original spelling you had) and I've never seen it or heard it any other way.

feythful May 17th, 2013 07:46 AM

My youngest DD's name is Jocelyn. We usually call or refer to her as Josie. Of the few times we've written her name down as Jocelyn (like at the doctor's office), only one person mispronounced it and she just butchered it. She said it like Joy-seleen :frenchtoast: Anyway. Everyone else has pronounced it properly.

Meggie26 May 17th, 2013 07:53 AM

I pronounce it Joss-a-lyn. Both spellings are pretty!!

Miss-Melissa-Sue May 17th, 2013 09:59 AM

I would pronounce it Joss-a-Lynn. I love spelling it with an s and think it would make it harder to mispronounce.

CherryLimeade May 17th, 2013 11:57 AM

When I read it, I assumed it was joss-a-lyn. I think it's pretty spelt the first way. My mom spelt my name weird, and people sometimes don't know how to pronounce it. It's Danialle.. One letter different than Danielle. I mean is it that hard?

eilla05 May 17th, 2013 03:11 PM

I am being honest the first thought I was was Joyce-lynn! I didn't see there was no Y in it...

I think changing the spelling will help :)

Brittanie May 17th, 2013 03:18 PM

I've known 3 Jocelyns. They all pronounced it the way you do. I like either spelling.

Mama_2boys May 17th, 2013 03:26 PM

I've only seen it spelled the 1st way and I think it looks more "correct." But if you like it with an S and it helps people, that's fine too. I think some people could mess up any name, even if it's simple, lol, so go with whichever way you want! Cute name :)

Leogirl May 18th, 2013 11:34 AM

I would pronounce the above spelling as Joss-Lynn.

JaeSung May 18th, 2013 11:49 AM

I pronounce it the same way. Joss-a-lynn. I like the first spelling of it.

JulieMc May 18th, 2013 12:19 PM

Joss-a-lynn

geekgrrl123 May 18th, 2013 04:37 PM

Go with the actual spelling - Jocelyn. If people are mispronouncing it, then I feel sorry for them - it's not like it's a new, made-up name. It's a known name. :)

I've known 4 Jocelyns and I've liked every one of them (which is pretty rare with most names!) so I hope it has some good name mojo for you!

SweetiePeas May 18th, 2013 05:03 PM

I would pronounce it The same way you do! JOSS-A-LYNN

ChicaChels May 18th, 2013 11:17 PM

I pronounce it Jaws-lynn, but only because it was the name of an elementary school right near my house. They were the Joslyn Jaguars