JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   December 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/)
-   -   BTDT moms: where are you on the rice cereal debate? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/2658940-btdt-moms-where-you-rice-cereal-debate.html)

anybodyinthere June 16th, 2013 09:38 AM

BTDT moms: where are you on the rice cereal debate?

I did not do rice cereal, myself.

hugssandi June 16th, 2013 09:43 AM

Re: BTDT moms: where are you on the rice cereal debate?

I've never used rice cereal. We nursed a good, long while and went straight to table foods.

swade66 June 16th, 2013 09:52 AM

In my opinion it is filler. We nurse and go to table food. We do use Gerber snacks for practice though...like puffs. And my 18 month old loves the cereal bars. We skip cereals and purees though.

redbirds June 16th, 2013 09:53 AM

I used rice and oatmeal at about 6 months, but not for food, just for practice and because it's so stinking cute to see them try to eat. :D I also started with that and then went to the fruits and veggies... So, I do use it, but not EARLY like some do.

summerbaby1 June 16th, 2013 10:02 AM

There's a rice cereal debate? I am learning new stuff about motherhood every day ..:whaa:

anybodyinthere June 16th, 2013 10:04 AM

Just google it ;)

redbirds June 16th, 2013 10:05 AM

Yeah, I didn't realize there was a debate (?) but I know there's issue with rice and arsenic (still? Or did they fix that?) I asked my doc about it and she blew it off. We went to oatmeal more then ;)

JulieMc June 16th, 2013 10:09 AM

Rice cereal is worthless filler. My kids start eating real table food, not that jarred baby stuff, when they show interest, and it varied with the two of them as to when that was. I don't believe they need "bland" food or food like rice cereal to "practice" with. I certainly don't eat bland food when I am pregnant with them, so I think they get used to tastes. Never had a problem with either..they both have varied tastes in food, and don't have have any texture issues.

hugssandi June 16th, 2013 10:13 AM

Summer, there is a debate for EVERYTHING under the sun! Especially when it comes to parenthood. :/

ETA it's the one thing I truly wasn't ready for when I was pregnant with my first child. That EVERYBODY and their DOG would be standing in line to tell me that all my ideas about parenting were wrong! LOL! And it never ends.

redbirds June 16th, 2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieMc (Post 27451457)
Rice cereal is worthless filler. My kids start eating real table food, not that jarred baby stuff, when they show interest, and it varied with the two of them as to when that was. I don't believe they need "bland" food or food like rice cereal to "practice" with. I certainly don't eat bland food when I am pregnant with them, so I think they get used to tastes. Never had a problem with either..they both have varied tastes in food, and don't have have any texture issues.

Don't hold back!

And, some of us like "practice" so ... I guess in that instance, it's not worthless.

Ahhh... and because of tones like this, something as simple as a little food turns into a debate :wagfinger: Sigh.

JulieMc June 16th, 2013 10:21 AM

I didn't even read anyone's replies when I replied. So chill the heck out. Paranoia is abound on this board apparently.... Geez.

kara74 June 16th, 2013 10:32 AM

DD didn't like rice cereal. She preferred oatmeal when it came to cereal. I didn't feed her cereals because they were bland, I fed her oatmeal for variety in her diet. I would add fruit and cinnamon to it. I don't really pay attention to guidelines or trends, when I felt she was ready to eat table food I fed her. FWIW I started her on table food at 6 months. When my boys were babies the norm was feeding them baby food at 2-3 months. I thought it was rather early. That's what people did 17 years ago. There will always be new "rules" and trends that people follow. I think no matter when you have your child, you should do what you think your baby is ready for.

NCRG2010 June 16th, 2013 11:32 AM

I do oatmeal around 6 months

redbirds June 16th, 2013 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieMc (Post 27451491)
I didn't even read anyone's replies when I replied. So chill the heck out. Paranoia is abound on this board apparently.... Geez.

No paranoia here, my kids are happy and healthy :) but I'm just saying that this sort of tone is what leads to debate. Netiquette involves tone and word choice when explaining one's side, as well.

for instance, note I didn't tell you to "chill the heck out", but I could have ;) That is a defensive phrase, used when people have a defense wall up and when communication has halted in it's steps. Use of "quotes" disowns that word , "practice" and some people like practice and some babies with tongue issues NEED practice, so no downplaying of words like that. Terms of "worthless" or other such adjectives also diminishes the noun following, and when using it with something that people would use in their parenting choice also puts them on the defensive and can lead to an unnecessary heated debate.

Just a lesson communication and virtual etiquette. Think before submitting a post.

NCRG2010 June 16th, 2013 11:43 AM

Oh red birds how I love your posts lmao

feythful June 16th, 2013 11:44 AM

Alright ladies, let's reign it back a bit.

With my first, my husband pushed rice cereal and I had no clue about it. I was mourning the loss of my breast milk and concerned with her getting everything she needed, so we gave it to her at about 5 months. I wasn't aware of what rice cereal was made of, until later when I started to look at what is in various baby foods.

With my second child, I avoided it completely. Due to texture aversions she had until 9 months, she HAD to have pureed foods since table foods caused gagging and vomiting. We used it as a way to rule out food allergies little by little and provide her with new experiences.

I also know several people who's kids had unbelieveable reflux or projectile vomiting and a small amount of rice cereal before their bottle made a world of difference. So there is a time and place for all of it, both purees and cereal.

Brittanie June 16th, 2013 11:46 AM

Not really reading any posts here...lol

The only cereal we use is oatmeal (we eat oatmeal for breakfast a LOT!), and I use the baby oatmeal at first because it's cut finer. I also really like to eat cream of wheat, so I end up sharing that with babies, too. No particular reason for not using the others, other than it's not really something we eat as a family.

Other than that, I don't even do very many purées. Erin was okay with them, but Patrick refused to let me spoon it, and letting him try was way more mess than I was prepared to deal with. So I would cut up and boil sweet potatoes or carrots or green beans and let him eat those.

Allison just outright refused purées of any kind, refusing anything but breastmilk up until she was 7 months and I had to switch to formula, then she went strait to table foods.

This time, I'll just see where the baby takes me!

ChicaChels June 16th, 2013 09:32 PM

we don't do it. there has been some research linking the starch to obesity later, and diabetes because it's so sugary. we follow baby led weaning - which means we skip purees and we go straight to finger foods - we've started both kids on chunks of avocado (Brylie waited until 11m, Hunter nabbed a bite at 4m!) then we did steamed carrots and peas..neither of my kids liked meat much, so we go for veggies high in protein :) hunter is a carnivore now though! brylie could live off fruits and veggies (apples and carrots mostly) so i make her protein shakes (ah i derail from the original post :lol: sorry!)

Oriyan June 17th, 2013 05:13 AM

We only used it due to severe reflux. When its the only thing that helps your kid keep formula down and not spewing out at 55mph, you do what you have to do :)

bajars2531 June 17th, 2013 06:02 AM

Baby led weaning all the way--no rice cereal ever. That stuff is disgusting, and don't even get me started on people that put it in bottles. Grrr. It saddens me that doctors are so misinformed about child nutrition. My 21 month old eats like a champ--his favorite foods, broccoli, bacon, chicken, steak, eggs. He loves veggies and proteins. If I wouldn't eat it, I certainly wouldn't give it to my kid.