JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   December 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Fetal echocardiogram today UPDATE (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/2676315-fetal-echocardiogram-today-update.html)

Papasgirl September 3rd, 2013 03:31 AM

Fetal echocardiogram today UPDATE

And I'm a nervous wreck! I'm so worried they will find a heart defect! Please keep my little Staci in your prayers! Thanks!

UPDATE:

So the exam took a little over 45 minutes from start to finish. The best position for the baby to be in is facing front and of course, my little nugget was facing my back the whole time. She just would not flip over. She was wiggling all around, but simply refused to flip front. Also, the placenta is directly across my abdomen. With her facing the wrong way and the placenta in a bad spot, they had a hard time getting clear images.They did get some shots, but they were not as clear as we needed them to be.they did measure the head, the belly and the leg bones and all measured at 24 weeks, so a little ahead.
After the scan we spoke with the cardiologist, who was great! Children's Hosp Boston is an amazing place. She said there are three major heart defects they look for first in fetus' with down syndrome, and as of right now, Staci did not present with any of those, thank God. However, her left ventricle was measuring a smidge smaller than the right ventricle. By a smidge, I mean the righ side is lets say 1.3mm and the left is 1.2mm. Its a tiny amount and it may have been off because of her position and the inability for a clear shot, but a smaller left ventricle is a sign of a congenital heart condition called Coarctation of the Aorta. It is when the blood in the right ventricle being pumped to the lungs in not sufficiently pumped to the left ventricle for pumping out to the body. There is a narrowing of the duct that allows for all the blood to pass between, therefore causing more blood to remain in the right (why its size is larger) and less to remain in the left (why its size is smaller). IF this is in fact what she has, this condition usually does not present itself alone. It will usually be seen with a hole in the heart or some other type of repairable issue. The coarctation itself is also repairable with surgery within the first few days of life. The tricky thing here is that they are not 100 percent sure she has this because the pictures were unclear. So the only thing they are basing this on is the fact that the left ventricle is .1mm smaller than the right. Amazing. So we have no conclusive answer, but the big three issues were not found so that is good news I guess. We have to go back at 30 weeks to repeat the echocardiogram. If she is found to have the Coarctation, then I will have to deliver at either Mass General or Brigham and Women's instead of Mt. Auburn (where all my kids have been delivered) so we can have a NICU nursery and a Cardiology team on hand for her birth. So again, we sit and wait....ugh. I feel like I am just waiting througout this entire pregnancy. Not exactly what I had in mind for my last pregnancy but as long as she is healthy it is all worth it. Until October 22, we wait. I do have another growth ultrasound on Sept 19 so maybe they can look then too.
so that is my update. Thanks for checking in with me!

HorseGal September 3rd, 2013 03:58 AM

Re: Fetal echocardiogram today

Things have been perfect so far, I'm betting that trend continues :)

Tarheelbluii September 3rd, 2013 11:59 AM

Sending many prayers that all continues to go well!

kayakr September 3rd, 2013 12:03 PM

Aww - she is perfect and her heart will be too!

swade66 September 3rd, 2013 12:10 PM

Thinking of you both!

How was the appointment? Update us when you can.

Jodimarie September 3rd, 2013 12:49 PM

Hoping everything goes well!

JulieMc September 3rd, 2013 01:38 PM

How'd it go? Hope all went well :)

mgail September 3rd, 2013 02:13 PM

Hoping all went well, keep us posted!

redbirds September 3rd, 2013 02:28 PM

Well said by the others, she's perfect and I be this will continue to show the same :) KUP! ((HUGS))

SweetiePeas September 3rd, 2013 02:33 PM

hoping all is well!

Brittanie September 3rd, 2013 03:21 PM

Oh, I really hope it went well! :dothug:

feythful September 3rd, 2013 03:45 PM

I've been thinking about you all day! I hope everything went well and nothing of interest was found!

eilla05 September 3rd, 2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by feythful (Post 27629620)
I've been thinking about you all day! I hope everything went well and nothing of interest was found!

Me too. Waiting to hear. Hoping all is well!

novastar222 September 3rd, 2013 08:06 PM

Hope all is well, hopefully a good update is on its way ! :)

Betts September 3rd, 2013 10:55 PM

Sending you hugs and good vibes!

ImVictorious September 3rd, 2013 11:00 PM

Hope all is well with Anastacia!

lily26 September 4th, 2013 01:55 AM

I hope everythinng went well.. prayers

mommy-of-one September 4th, 2013 05:43 AM

Re: Fetal echocardiogram today UPDATE

Crossing my fingers for you, that the difference in measurements was just because of the position and what not!

redbirds September 4th, 2013 07:05 AM

wow! .1mm can be simply human error, too, but it's good to know there's knowledge behind the slight chance and you'll get another shot at measurements in a month. It's all great news!!!

swade66 September 4th, 2013 07:12 AM

Gah! Silly baby was trying to hide.

I hope that you find all is well with the scan in a few weeks.