JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   December 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Just came home from the hospital (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/2678762-just-came-home-hospital.html)

Betts September 13th, 2013 02:38 PM

Just came home from the hospital

I was at work ( I work at the hospital I'll be delivering at) and all of a sudden I started getting dizzy. So I ate breakfast, but on my way back from the cafeteria my dizziness started getting worse.

I stopped to sit down in the ultrasound department, and one of the nurses came to take my bp. It was a little elevated 135/80 and my heart rate was 104, but I think it was because I was scared. One of our radiologists came to check me out, and told me to go to e.r. Just to be safe. So they put me in a wheelchair and wheeled me over there. ( by this time I felt like the room was spinning)

The e.r. nurse asked me if I had any back pain, I said yeah, but just normal pregnancy sore back, but I guess I shouldn't have said that because they sent me up to L&D, where they monitored me for a few hours for pre term labor. They monitored the baby, my blood sugar ( which was perfect) my blood pressure came back down, and they cathed me to take a sterile urine sample ( that was normal but ouch!)

My doctor was in the room next door delivering a baby, so he came in to see me, and said everything looked normal. He asked if I'd been having any congestion, and I said a little, so he said my vertigo might be middle ear congestion, so to take Sudafed.

They let me go home, so now I'm resting. I don't think I want to take the Sudafed, cuz there's ephedrine in it and I already suffer from anxiety. S I'm going to try nasal irrigation with my neti pot. Hopefully it helps. The only thing is that they never even looked in my ears or anything. As soon as they knew the baby and all ob issues were normal, they sent me home without a workup of why I'm so dizzy. Oh well.

bundle2baby September 13th, 2013 02:52 PM

Re: Just came home from the hospital

Glad you're okay pregnancy-wise, but agree they should have checked you for any other issues. Sometimes I get dizzy spells from just being really tired or on my feet a lot. Get some rest and try not to worry. :hug:

Betts September 13th, 2013 03:17 PM

Thank you! :hug:

HorseGal September 13th, 2013 03:23 PM

I'm glad they took it serious even if it seemed unneeded. My dr seems to shrug everything off unless your bleeding.

Hopefully that was just a one time episode.

redbirds September 13th, 2013 03:31 PM

Blech. I'm actually surprised, after all that, they didn't check for an inner ear infection or something like that :( Hopefully the neti pot can help. Is there anything else you can take that would help with congestion?

mgail September 13th, 2013 03:45 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't take the Sudafed either, that was a strange recommendation. I can't even take that stuff when I'm not preggo. I hope your dizziness goes away and the neti pot works!

Betts September 13th, 2013 04:11 PM

I'm not sure about taking anything else. I never take cold/cough medicine. Ever. So I really don't want to start now. Besides, I don't really feel congested.

It's was the first time I met my doc, I've only seen the nurse practitioner in the office so far. So he isn't even familiar with any of my history, I don't think. They talked more to me about watching my sugar intake, because sometimes blood sugar issues make you dizzy. But it wasn't normal dizziness, the room was spinning. It kind of bothered me, because they're probably just telling me that cuz I'm a little overweight. But my glucose tolerance test was normal, and when they checked my sugar today, it was 112 and I had just eaten an hour before. So why are they harping on me regarding my sugar/ carb intake??

kara74 September 13th, 2013 07:41 PM

I'm sorry you weren't feeling well today. I hope the dizziness goes away soon.

I had a bout of vertigo back in July. Very scary as I'd never experienced it before. I was given Antivert and was told to take Sudafed and Zyrtec along with it. I thought it was a lot if meds to take at once esp while pregnant but it did help dry up the congestion and helped with the vertigo. Mine lasted over a week.

ETA - my OB was a bit spazzy about my sugar intake and weight gain with my last pregnancy. They were not familiar with my history so they thought with me being overweight as is that I may develop GD and or have a large baby. I have small babies even though I'm not small so I just ignored them about that subject. My DD was 6lbs 4oz at birth. Now that they are familiar with my history they don't say anything. Your OB just may be concerned because this is your first so neither he nor yourself know what will end up happening the rest of your pregnancy and he wants to err on the safe side.

swade66 September 13th, 2013 08:53 PM

If I were you I would follow up with my regular doctor and have him check your ears. Can't hurt.

Glad baby is ok.

feythful September 13th, 2013 09:16 PM

Glad they were so proactive, but sorry they didn't find the cause before sending you home.

ImVictorious September 13th, 2013 10:53 PM

Glad you and baby are ok. Good they gave you the full workup just to be safe.

hugssandi September 14th, 2013 06:14 AM

(((((Betts)))))

Betts September 14th, 2013 03:34 PM

Thanks for the support guys! I think you guys are right, I should follow up with my regular doc.

I do feel better today, and haven't had any dizziness/vertigo since yesterday, so that's good.