JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   December 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Labor and Delivery Class (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/2679293-labor-and-delivery-class.html)

novastar222 September 16th, 2013 08:40 AM

Labor and Delivery Class

Tonight DF and I will be attending our Labor and Delivery class. I'm a little nervous because I'm sure I'll be the youngest one there, and I don't know what to expect. Have any of you ladies done one of these classes? What are basic things they do?

redbirds September 16th, 2013 09:02 AM

Re: Labor and Delivery Class

We went before DD1 and it was informative. I actually had to think back to some of the tips when I had DD2 :) It depends on the kind of labor class you are attending, but they tend to provide tips and practice on focusing on something other than pain/contractions, have DF help relieve the discomfort by rubbing or providing pressure on certain parts of the body (mainly lower back, what I remember) ... I think we also saw a film (I can't remember). It's been a while for me, I'm sure our doula gals can provide more info on what to expect, but you'll probably learn a good deal :) and don't worry about age. Everyone there is probably a FTM and all in the same boat, no matter how old ;)

SweetiePeas September 16th, 2013 10:18 AM

I think redbirds pretty much said what I would have said..

TwinMamaS September 16th, 2013 10:27 AM

So exciting! Let us know how it goes! We're going October 6th for ours.

Brittanie September 16th, 2013 10:43 AM

I've never attended an L&D class, but I think it's also a good idea to learn about the physical processes too. It helped me a lot to know what my body was doing. Made it a little less scary.

novastar222 September 16th, 2013 10:43 AM

Thanks for the pep talk :). And I will keep you updated !

kayakr September 16th, 2013 12:41 PM

I think if it's baby #1 it is helpful. I went when I had DS 15 years ago and it was helpful and it also scared me. They played a few movies I could have done without.

This time DH is a paramedic so he has delivered a few babies already.... me - I don't' want to go again. Although it's been a long long time since L&D I am just gonna wing it!

kara74 September 16th, 2013 01:24 PM

My ex and I went to classes with DS1. They lasted about 6 weeks I believe. Like others have said, there were films involved and then some practice labor breathing and positions and what not. I guess the films and reading material were helpful but the practice labor breathing wasn't all that helpful. I basically forgot all that once I went into labor and things got chaotic and super painful. If I recall correctly, there were people of all ages from young (late teens/early 20s) to AMA (35+). I was 22 at the time so I was one of the younger ones. Everyone was a FTM so regardless of age, we were in the same boat. I didn't go for a refresher with DD even though it had been 15 yrs since I had a baby.

Jodimarie September 16th, 2013 02:00 PM

I signed up for a class at my hospital, I'm pretty nervous about it too lol I guess I just dont want to practice labor positions and breathing in front of a bunch of other ppl. I'm pretty shy lol Have fun at your class :)

SweetiePeas September 16th, 2013 03:16 PM

Let me add When I went the breathing techniques went straight out the window, they may be helpful to you though and I was also embarrassed about practicing certain stuff with other people there, but we were all doing it so there really was no reason to worry. I was also 22 and one of the younger moms there and it really was no big deal. GL and I am sure you will be fine:)

novastar222 September 16th, 2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodimarie (Post 27659236)
I signed up for a class at my hospital, I'm pretty nervous about it too lol I guess I just dont want to practice labor positions and breathing in front of a bunch of other ppl. I'm pretty shy lol Have fun at your class :)

I'm also extremely shy and I feel like i wont be able to do this with a straight face :rolleyes:

novastar222 September 16th, 2013 03:43 PM

Sadly I had to switch my class for a later date because I've come down with the awful bug that is going around :( ah well, we still have our basic prenatal classes on the 28th and this class was moved to the 21st of october, maybe I'll remember more information that way

NCRG2010 September 16th, 2013 05:21 PM

I took a class with my first I really enjoyed it! I thought my husband was going to pass out when he saw the film though lol

Jodimarie September 16th, 2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novastar222 (Post 27659433)
I'm also extremely shy and I feel like i wont be able to do this with a straight face :rolleyes:

IKR!! Thats what I was thinking lol Hope you feel better soon :)

bajars2531 September 16th, 2013 09:40 PM

The new classes are nothing like the old, and quite frankly, totally ridiculous lamaze classes from the 80's. You may practice deep breathing, but mostly they focus on different pain coping techniques. Massage, pressure points, humming or moaning (which really helps, even though it sounds super weird). Holding your breath causes your body to tense up which equals more intense pain. Birthing classes mainly focus on trying to release the tension and how you can work with your body to help you through the labor process. You might learn positions but it would be more like, how to get into a more comfortable position that allows your body to open with contractions; what to do if your baby is face up or you are having back labor; options to get you through the transition period without pain meds, etc. It's not the silly lay on your back and hyperventilate crap that it used to be. And any class that teaches you to lay on your back and labor I would run from; seriously the worst, most excruciatingly painful position you could ever be in during birth, IMO. I took Birthing From Within classes and I loved them.

HorseGal September 16th, 2013 09:55 PM

We moved during the time I was supposed to take them with DS1 and so i never did and regretted it. So we are taking them this time.

lily26 September 17th, 2013 01:16 AM

thanks for the reminder I need to sign up lol

JulieC7 September 17th, 2013 03:27 AM

My insurance pays for it but I can't find one in English :(

We'll be winging it, I guess.

kara74 September 17th, 2013 03:36 AM

I don't think anyone here would be still having babies if they took a Lamaze class in the 80s lol. That would be advanced, advanced maternal age. Although the class I took in 1996 is probably way outdated they didn't teach us to lay in our backs and hyperventilate. We were taught several positions including on all fours (which didn't really help with my back labor). They also discussed focal points (that didn't help much either). I wasn't taught pressure points or moaning but I found myself moaning during labor just from instinct as that's how I've always dealt with pain. My labor helpers (mom, husbands, aunt) did use massage and different pressure points to relieve pain but were never instructed to do so. Some things you just do without being taught.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bajars2531 (Post 27660113)
The new classes are nothing like the old, and quite frankly, totally ridiculous lamaze classes from the 80's. You may practice deep breathing, but mostly they focus on different pain coping techniques. Massage, pressure points, humming or moaning (which really helps, even though it sounds super weird). Holding your breath causes your body to tense up which equals more intense pain. Birthing classes mainly focus on trying to release the tension and how you can work with your body to help you through the labor process. You might learn positions but it would be more like, how to get into a more comfortable position that allows your body to open with contractions; what to do if your baby is face up or you are having back labor; options to get you through the transition period without pain meds, etc. It's not the silly lay on your back and hyperventilate crap that it used to be. And any class that teaches you to lay on your back and labor I would run from; seriously the worst, most excruciatingly painful position you could ever be in during birth, IMO. I took Birthing From Within classes and I loved them.