JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   December 2013 Playroom (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/)
-   -   Breastfeeding and non supportive hospitals (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1948-december-2013-playroom/2691460-breastfeeding-and-non-supportive-hospitals.html)

eilla05 November 10th, 2013 03:31 PM

Breastfeeding and non supportive hospitals

GRRRRRRRRRR...I don't mean to step on any toes here but this is something that bugs the crud out of me.

A friend of mine just had her baby yesterday and has already supplemented at the recommendation of the hospital. Now I am not saying any of this as a reflection of her etc I am just really curious and upset that so many hospitals seem to be clueless about breastfeeding and being supportive to mothers and not making the process harder by not being educated on the topic. This is exactly what happened to me the first go around and once he got a bottle it was over. They said he needed it because he wasn't latching properly and needed to eat yada yada at less than 24 hours old.

So tell me what has been your experience with this?

The reality is that babies are designed to breastfeed and barring any medical issues they are designed those first few days to breastfeed and use the small amount of colostrum that the mother produces yet mothers are constantly being told they need to supplement that first day because they are not making enough milk...of course they are not! Your milk doesn't normally come in for 2-4 days. And then when they are told to supplement they go for a bottle which in most cases makes it harder for a baby who is already having issues with latching etc.

It frustrates me to no end. They are making it worse not being helpful and when the mother comes home she is stuck with a newborn who now in some cases won't latch and refuses the breast because they have had the easy access of formula through a bottle because the hospital doesn't understand breastfeeding and sadly some lactation consultants are doing this as well. On top of that some don't encourage the mother to pump and still offer the breast to the baby which is what stimulates your milk and starts your supply/demand cycle (this is what happened to me!).

So after all this ranting...is your hospital supportive of breastfeeding and knowledgeable about the process? How would you handle this situation?

Oriyan November 10th, 2013 03:39 PM

Re: Breastfeeding and non supportive hospitals

The hospital I had my first DS at was very pro-BFing. He absolutely refused to latch, had the LC in 3 times, still refused to latch, so they brought me a pump. Never once told me I needed to supplement.

If someone told me to supplement within the first 48 hours, i'd tell them to politely frig off :) Unless my kid is screaming for food, there is no reason to supplement (unless a medical reason like BG or something)

Brittanie November 10th, 2013 04:41 PM

The only experience like that I had was Patrick. He was born at 11:36pm and we didn't get him latched well and nursing until 4 or 5 am. Several hours later anyway. He was just sleepy and didn't want to open his mouth.

They wanted me to try a bottle, but one nurse suggested testing his blood sugar levels to see if they were low or not, because if they weren't, then he'd be fine.

Right as we were starting to get worried, the LC came in and she spent nearly an hour with me getting him latched on (MAN I was so tired!!)

That was the only time I had any latching issues, but it was also in Denver which seems to be a pretty naturalistic type place anyway, so I was pretty supported.

n8tsmomma November 10th, 2013 05:20 PM

My first I had an epidural and I was EXHAUSTED too much to help him latch correctly. A LC came in and latched him while I half slept and she even switched him to the other side. We had a great long breast feeding relationship after I got some good sleep to get all the drugs out of my system. My second had IUGR and was induced at 38 weeks. He had very weak cheek muscles and his sugars were low so he got formula and they were still low. Formula was always given after a nursing attempt and I had a lactation consultant who got me a pump so it was always nurse, formula, have the lab come do his blood, and pump. He only avoided the NICU because I had the tech give him sweetease (sugar water) before the draws. When he was moved up to peds for bili lights he had to have 20ml after every nursing attempt so we would mix what I pumped with formula until I made enough to not need the formula. Before he was discharged they taught me how to use a tiny feeding tube and syringe as an SNS to encourage him to latch and after about a month of working hard together he was a nursing pro.

So I guess you can say my hospital is VERY BF friendly.

swade66 November 10th, 2013 06:32 PM

My hospital pushed the formula when the boy didn't latch tight away. We ended up BFing fine for over a year but it was harder starting than it should have been. This time I am going to be a witch about it.

CherryLimeade November 10th, 2013 07:04 PM

I completely agree with you! Too often do I hear of women supplementing too early and ending up with issues breastfeeding. The hospital staff's status on BF is definitely the main issue, but I also wish more parents knew that doctors and nurses aren't "all-knowing." It's so important to do the research yourself beforehand.

My son was born at a birth center, so I didn't deal with anything like this. This time I'll be in the hospital - one that I've heard good things about from other BF mamas. :) But yeah, if I had to deal with a situation like that, I would just shrug off the nurses suggestions and continue BF.

HorseGal November 10th, 2013 07:13 PM

Thankfully our hospitals here are very pro breastfeeding and encourage it and offer classes about it.

swade66 November 10th, 2013 07:51 PM

I should add that I totally agree with you. In my opinion boobs were made for feeding babies and we should do our best to use them for that when we can. Nothing makes me sadder than someone who won't even try.

NCRG2010 November 10th, 2013 07:55 PM

My hospital is very pro breast feeding! You have to request formula

swade66 November 10th, 2013 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCRG2010 (Post 27790062)
My hospital is very pro breast feeding! You have to request formula

I think that this is how it should be. I wish my hospital was like this. It isn't with holding but it isn't pushing.

SweetiePeas November 10th, 2013 08:32 PM

My hospital is also pro breastfeeding and will not offer formula unless you ask . They even stopped giving away those free formula diaper bags..

anybodyinthere November 10th, 2013 08:35 PM

It boggles my mind that in a little over a month, I will be nursing away! WOOHOO!

redbirds November 10th, 2013 10:16 PM

My hospital is also very pro BF. I had trouble with DD1 latching on and they also had 2 LC's come in to help, and they gave me a nipple shield that did wonders. First thing they ask (well, not the FIRST thing, but pretty close) is what I plan to do with baby for feedings, and they do not provide bottles or paci's unless requested (which I don't want either). I love my hospital!

JulieC7 November 11th, 2013 03:47 AM

That's so silly. Babies' stomachs are soooooo tiny at first, like the size of a bouncy ball. Healthy babies don't need anything but colostrum.

I wonder how many kickbacks the doctors at that hospital get from the formula companies? I'm really glad formula exists when it's a medical necessity, but I don't get why a hospital would push you to give up breastfeeding.