JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Due Date Club of April 2014 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1974-due-date-club-april-2014/)
-   -   Baby Carriers (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f1974-due-date-club-april-2014/2687108-baby-carriers.html)

katiep726 October 20th, 2013 12:43 PM

Baby Carriers

Any BTDT mommas have a good baby carrier they used with a newborn? I thought I really wanted an Ergo, but every review I've read says they aren't very good until baby is around 4 months old! I doubt I'll really wear baby that much when they're that old, I'm planning on getting a double stroller. I really want one good for a newborn so that I can get chores done or hang with DS without holding a baby. And for some trips where strollers are a pain.

Any suggestions?

mzshell13 October 20th, 2013 12:59 PM

Re: Baby Carriers

I used my Ergo with my newborn (and she was a 4lb 12 oz preemie when we brought her home. They have special inserts for newborns though I actually ended up returning mine because M gets hot too easily. I just rolled a receiving blanket put it inside the Ergo under her feet, and she was just fine. I used my Ergo exclusively during the first 6 months until she was old enough for a regular stroller with no issues.

I also have a Moby style wrap I used with my son and while it's great for newborns it's a pain to get on when you're in a hurry and you're chasing around another toddler.

MaggieLizer October 20th, 2013 03:51 PM

I loved my Baby K'tan so much! I used a ring sling briefly in the very beginning but I didn't like it at all.

taterm October 20th, 2013 04:30 PM

I second the Baby K'Tan! So much more easy to use than the Moby.

I will be using it a ton the first few weeks for skin to skin. Can't wait!

TinaG1 October 20th, 2013 05:43 PM

The ergo with the infant insert! I also used a moby but it was a giant pain to tie and keep clean. I didn't like it, but some people prefer the wrap style carriers. I prefer the structured carriers and the Ergo is the best one I've tried.

katiep726 October 20th, 2013 06:36 PM

I'm so torn now! ;) I'm thinking I may go with the ktan mostly because the price is so much better. I didn't use one much with carter but thinking I will more this time. But for over $100 I feel like I have to use it all the time to get my moms a worth! I have some time to make up my mind tho.

Does the ktan work ok when they're a little older, like 5-6 months?

kemper2.0 October 20th, 2013 08:46 PM

I loved my Ergo and used it until toddlerhood. The only complaint I had was that they couldn't forward face.

ladybugmomma October 20th, 2013 09:54 PM

I had a moby wrap, a organic ergo and then a performance ergo. I LOVED my wrap. I used it everyday for months! The only thing is is that it's hard to use out sometimes. It's so long, super easy to wrap but drags on the ground. So this time I'm going with the ktan.
The organic ergo was thick and hot. Loved the performance ergo. I've heard really great things about the Beco Gemini though so I'm not sure which one. I use a carrier every single day for months so I will make use of both!

MaggieLizer October 21st, 2013 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiep726 (Post 27748336)
I'm so torn now! ;) I'm thinking I may go with the ktan mostly because the price is so much better. I didn't use one much with carter but thinking I will more this time. But for over $100 I feel like I have to use it all the time to get my moms a worth! I have some time to make up my mind tho.

I'm pretty sure I used mine regularly until DS was close to 2, and occasionally after that as well. He was on the smaller side. At 3 he is just 32 lbs.

mzshell13 October 21st, 2013 05:32 AM

The K'Tan looks cool...all the benefits of the Moby without the wrapping. I think the only downside is that you can't back carry with it, which I did alot with my Ergo when Mel was over 6 months.

I didn't baby wear much with my 1st (just at home when trying to vacuum and he wouldn't let me put him down) but when you have 2 close in age you're going to need it, especially if you're going to be alone with both at any time. Imagine being at the park and trying to watch your oldest on playground equipment while standing next to a bulky stroller- it's impossible. If you wear baby you can hold your oldest's hand when they're out of the stroller. I would buy the one that fits your needs most because you'll most likely get your money's worth.

The K'Tan looks cool...all the benefits of the Moby without the wrapping. I think the only downside is that you can't back carry with it, which I did alot with my Ergo when Mel was over 6 months.

I didn't baby wear much with my 1st (just at home when trying to vacuum and he wouldn't let me put him down) but when you have 2 close in age you're going to need it, especially if you're going to be alone with both at any time. Imagine being at the park and trying to watch your oldest on playground equipment while standing next to a bulky stroller- it's impossible. If you wear baby you can hold your oldest's hand when they're out of the stroller. I would buy the one that fits your needs most because you'll most likely get your money's worth.

Jessimaaka October 21st, 2013 09:14 AM

I have a moby and monkeywrap....I like the monkeywrap better because its the same as a moby but not quite as long so easier to tie.

I have an ergo but I never got it till DS was maybe 5 months so I have no newborn experience with it.

Tersh October 21st, 2013 10:48 AM

I hear really good thinkgs about the Beco carriers and no infant insert needed. Beco can be used for front or back carry. Pretty sure I will be getting this one.

seoulmom October 21st, 2013 02:30 PM

When my second was tiny, I used a pouch sling and liked it, but it's polar fleece and won't be good for the summer. As he has gotten bigger, I use my ergo, which I love. He just turned two and still occasionally rides in it. For this baby, I really want a k'tan. My sister has one and loves it. Her daughter is 1 1/2 and she still carries her in her k'tan all the time.

TinaG1 October 21st, 2013 04:58 PM

Ergo is coming out with a new Ergo 360 carrier in April that won't need the infant insert. It looks neat. I want to get the new one when it comes out. The new one has a thicker strap. With the original ergo and most other structured carriers the strap when back carrying is thin and will push on my stomach and make me looks like I have a muffin top. Ugh! The thick strap will (I'm hoping) avoid that.

Gray_baby October 22nd, 2013 10:50 AM

I loved my Ergo but my second baby HATED the infant insert (I never used it with #1 since I got it when she was well over the weight that you'd need it). I had trouble getting her the carrier with the insert and she just didn't like it, cried the whole time. So I sold it and bought a Beco Gemini. LOVE IT!!!! No infant insert needed. You can also forward face the baby if you want though I never did.

Both are great carriers though, you can't really go wrong. I've actually considered getting another Ergo for after this baby is big enough to not need the insert.

MKnaomi October 22nd, 2013 11:56 PM

I loved my moby for my newborn, but she was born in February (so heat wasnt' an issue), and I didn't mind the wrapping. Loved how close it kept her. I chose it over the K'tan because it had a linen insert in the front which I read would keep it from stretching out too much and having to be replaced down the road. That was just my thing though. I also have a ring sling for super quick trips out of the car, and potentially nursing, although never needed it for that. I got a Beco Butterfly 2 when she was 7 ish months because one thing I didn't love about a wrap was I really felt it wasn't hands free, I always felt I needed to keep a hand on her.
A good SSC are the best for this, haven't tried with a newborn but my sis-in-law has an ergo and used it easily with her small baby, worked great, once we were at a banquet, she got baby to sleep, slipped the carrier on and ate her meal in peace with two hands!! I was AMAZED! ( she would have woken up if put in the stroller, plus it was a buffet so she would have had to wheel it through the line-up with her.)
I still think I'll like the Moby for the cuddliness, for easy walks without a stroller where the other two are running around in the park etc. or we are on a family outing where DH can handle the older two, for general being at home where I'm just supervising or reading stories, making lunch with one hand etc. I'll like my Beco for being hands FREE, so excited for that.
I have heard the wraps can be difficult for older babies if you have back issues or they are a super heavy little one, so be mindful of that. Also, if you have a good used listings in your area, like craigslist you can find barely used carriers of all kinds for pretty cheap, an option for if you decide you want an ergo or something when baby is bigger.

katiep726 October 23rd, 2013 06:19 PM

Now I think I want a beco! Lol. I like that they don't need an infant insert and that baby can fce out when they get older. I'm definitely going to keep my eyes out for a gently used one but may just fork out the money for a nice one since I know I'll be using it more with a 2 yr old running around!

Karen182 October 23rd, 2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katiep726 (Post 27748336)

$100? Is it different than this? This one is only $50.

Amazon.com: Baby K'tan Baby Carrier, Black, Small: Baby

Gray_baby October 24th, 2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen182 (Post 27755611)
$100? Is it different than this? This one is only $50.

Amazon.com: Baby K'tan Baby Carrier, Black, Small: Baby

Now I'm thinking about getting one of those for use at home! I had considered getting a Moby but this looks so much easier.

katiep726 October 24th, 2013 01:37 PM

No the ktans are only $50 but the ergo and beco are over $100