JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Due Date Club of January 2015 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2046-due-date-club-january-2015/)
-   -   End of term ultrasounds/weight estimations? (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2046-due-date-club-january-2015/2720475-end-term-ultrasounds-weight-estimations.html)

deaths final kiss May 15th, 2014 05:16 PM

End of term ultrasounds/weight estimations?

How many of you were told how big your baby was at the end of your pregnancy? How close to being accurate were they?

Neither of my doctors told me an estimation with DS 1 or 2, although all of my friends were told. I wished that they'd have told me with #2 since he was 2lb, 2" bigger than my csec baby, and I wasn't expecting such a giant for my first vbac.

So with DD, my doctor told me at 38 weeks, that she was already over 8lbs and were expecting her to be 9lbs+ by the time I delivered. (They were going to induce me some time during the 40th week... I delivered on my own at 40wk 1day)... So I was FREAKING out for the next couple weeks... only to have an under 7lb baby.

If you've had weight estimations before, will you get them again this time?

For me... I'm not sure. I think I'll skip finding out... since all it did was terrify me :rofl:

jaychrysalis May 15th, 2014 05:39 PM

Re: End of term ultrasounds/weight estimations?

At my last appointment my dr. Told me my son was about 7 pounds I went into labor a couple hours later and he was born 8 pounds 1 oz

jmomma2_4 May 15th, 2014 06:08 PM

I only had one with my 2nd and it was spot on. Guessed 5lbs 15 oz and he was born that weekend just under 6 pounds. BUT that said I don't trust them. I dk why they even try when they say it can be so off. I just had a friend have a c section bc her last was big, so they "measured" this one thinking 9 plus pounds. Guess what? 7 pounds and some change, less than his previous brother. Drs also don't typically do them unless there is some concern. My girls there was no need. My son I was tiny and he was worried about growth or amniotic fluid level.

Tiff802 May 15th, 2014 06:09 PM

I was told with my first that my baby was getting too big and that I needed to be induced if I wanted to avoid a c-section. He was 7 lbs, 14 oz. My second, my midwife never did an u/s at the end but she was very good at feeling the baby from the outside. She could tell how he was laying and about how big he was. At my last appt she had guessed at least 8 1/2 lbs and he ended up being 9 lbs. 3 oz. With my last they never estimated, no u/s, they believed that you couldn't have a "too big" of a baby. They had recently delivered a 11 1/2 lb baby naturally. But she ended up being 9 lbs, 4 oz.

I feel like it is what it is. Your girl parts are still going to be in pain no matter how small or how big your baby is. hahaha! Fat squishes, it's the head and shoulders you have to worry about. :)

I will say to, with the research I've done, if you are medicated, lying on your back with your feet in the air, that's when it makes a difference on how big your baby's head and shoulders are. If you have a stubborn, larger baby squatting opens your pelvis 30% more than lying down! That's amazing to me!!!

Ninky May 15th, 2014 06:10 PM

I don't remember the weigh they told me. I had ultrasounds every week toward the end (I was high risk with her due to having Single Umbilical Artery). She came out 6 lbs 7 oz. Most babies with SUA come out smaller anyway. We were just glad she was over 6 lbs.

LJD3Tdance May 15th, 2014 07:04 PM

I've never really been given much of an estimate.

Overjoyed-new-mommy May 15th, 2014 07:11 PM

DD was supposedly going to be around 6lb, she came out a healthy 8lbs even :)

my3loves May 16th, 2014 07:55 AM

I can't remember how accurate they were with my 3. I was closely monitored with my first and third, especially my 3rd because the gestational diabetes was so bad. They were giving them to me every week. That was 11 years ago though, so it is hard to remember. I just remember one done in the 7 months and It said he was already 7lbs. By the end of my pregnancy, I was having them weekly. I think it was pretty close, he was induced 2 weeks early and 9lb12oz...and vaginal.

CandC2012 May 16th, 2014 08:33 AM

I think for my sister, who just had a baby, they guessed she would be around 7 lbs and she came out 6 lbs 13 oz, so pretty close.

My mom had her last baby at home with a midwife, and the midwife kept telling my mom all these stories of 10+ lb babies (my mom's biggest up until then had been 9 lbs 3 oz, and most were around 8 lbs). Well, my mom didn't get the hint until AFTER she gave birth to an 11 lb 13 oz baby! He was two weeks late, and it was a tough delivery, but Mom did it :) I remember it, actually, since it was at home all us kids got to watch her push the baby out. It was pretty incredible!

rusticbythesea01 May 16th, 2014 08:41 AM

Yea, that would terrify me too, and they were wrong! Ugh!!! They told me dd was close to 7 lbs. She was 6lb 2oz, so they were a whole lb off.

Tiff802 May 16th, 2014 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CandC2012 (Post 28084645)
I think for my sister, who just had a baby, they guessed she would be around 7 lbs and she came out 6 lbs 13 oz, so pretty close.

My mom had her last baby at home with a midwife, and the midwife kept telling my mom all these stories of 10+ lb babies (my mom's biggest up until then had been 9 lbs 3 oz, and most were around 8 lbs). Well, my mom didn't get the hint until AFTER she gave birth to an 11 lb 13 oz baby! He was two weeks late, and it was a tough delivery, but Mom did it :) I remember it, actually, since it was at home all us kids got to watch her push the baby out. It was pretty incredible!

This is just awesome! Thanks for sharing!

anguisette May 17th, 2014 02:52 AM

I don't remember anyone estimating a weight for DD1, but with DD2 the midwives decided about 35wks or so that she was "small" and sent me for a growth scan and basically scared the crap out of me.

she was 2wks late & 6lb9 so maybe she was a bit small but she was perfectly healthy. "small" to me means a 4 or 5lb birthweight, not 6+ :smh:

i think sometimes the guesswork can do more harm than good when it worries the mother. obviously the doctors/midwives have a job to do and have to check everything in case there was a problem but i think guessing weight can be such an inexact science that it's sometimes more trouble than it's worth.