JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Due Date Club of October 2014 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2018-due-date-club-october-2014/)
-   -   I love my MIL! (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2018-due-date-club-october-2014/2721560-i-love-my-mil.html)

Sylvera May 25th, 2014 08:38 AM

I love my MIL!

Last week, I was mentioning to my MIL that I was having trouble finding some affordable maternity clothes since we live in the middle of nowhere. She mentioned that there was a woman she worked with who had just had a baby in October 2013 and said that she would ask her if she had anything she could spare.

So, on Friday evening she shows up at my house with a HUGE bag of clothes! Almost everything fits perfectly. I went from having 2 tops and 2 pairs of jeans to having about 25 shirts, 3 skirts, 5 pairs of jeans and 3 pairs of dress pants - all good brand names (mostly Thyme and Motherhood)! I probably just got $1500 worth of clothes for free - SCORE! :D I hate spending money on mat clothes so I was tickled pink. I think I'm going to make the donater a thank you card - it feels like the least I could do. :)

MIL has also been picking up toys and whatnot for us from her friends and coworkers, and keeping an eye on yardsales. Yesterday she texted me to say she bought me a nice crib for $5 and said that if I didn't like it for some reason I could just throw it out. We were talking about painting our crib anyway so, as long as it's sturdy, DH is going to sand it an paint it, and then it won't matter where it came from. I'm feeling like a lucky lady! :)

jl046100 May 25th, 2014 08:53 AM

Re: I love my MIL!

That's really nice of her I wish I got on with my mil as well x

bugz May 25th, 2014 09:15 AM

I wish someone would donate me a massive amount of clothes lol. I'm no wear near needing mat clothes though, so I guess I'm lucky. I don't even have to unbutton my pants, though sometimes I do just to feel a bit more pregnant.

Just make sure the crib meets regulation standards :). I've seen a fair amount on Kijiji that don't and people still sell them (which is illegal). Here is a little bit about regulations if you didn't read about it already. I'm not sure why they don't mention it, but drop side cribs aren't supposed to be used anymore either unless they have been secured properly.

And awesome MIL :). I think mine will get things as well but I don't think she'll get useful stuff lol. She's the type of person to buy all sorts of interesting things.

HalfDozen May 26th, 2014 09:27 AM

Congrats on all the great clothes! I thought I had solved my pants dilemma, which I did a little, by buying a smaller size. I bought 2 pair at the consignment shop the other day, though, and I'm returning them. They are the lower-rise waist. They don't stay up on me for anything. I get so annoyed pulling my pants up all the freaking time!!

StephcMc May 26th, 2014 10:16 AM

Score on those clothes! That's so amazing since you were having such a tough time finding stuff. Great that they fit you too, and since she had a baby in October it'll be the right season.

~*Bethy*~ May 26th, 2014 10:42 AM

Very nice!!!! One hint of advise, make sure the crib is up to modern day standards. The older cribs have narrower wooden slats to where baby can get his/her leg stuck! other wise great find!

StephcMc May 26th, 2014 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugz (Post 28094360)
Just make sure the crib meets regulation standards :). I've seen a fair amount on Kijiji that don't and people still sell them (which is illegal). Here is a little bit about regulations if you didn't read about it already. I'm not sure why they don't mention it, but drop side cribs aren't supposed to be used anymore either unless they have been secured properly.

My sister's crib that I am getting is drop side and she has the parts to lock it in place but I won't be. I think using a step stool to get in to the baby is more dangerous.

~*Bethy*~ May 26th, 2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephcMc (Post 28095078)
My sister's crib that I am getting is drop side and she has the parts to lock it in place but I won't be. I think using a step stool to get in to the baby is more dangerous.

I honestly dont see what all the fuss is about for drop side cribs. My crib I had never had the dropping on its own issue?

HalfDozen May 26th, 2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*Bethy*~ (Post 28095098)
I honestly dont see what all the fuss is about for drop side cribs. My crib I had never had the dropping on its own issue?

Mine, either. We are both tall enough that we never even used the drop-sides, but never once did it come down on its own, and I used it for all 3 of my oldest. I would have used it for #4 on as well, but I was missing the screws to put it back together, and the company refused to replace them since it was not in compliance anymore.

~*Bethy*~ May 26th, 2014 03:15 PM

Maybe it depended on the brand?

Thankfulhelpmeet May 26th, 2014 06:07 PM

wow incredibly generous I'd write her a thankyou card both MIL and the lady who donated her clothes

butterflies.in.a.jar May 26th, 2014 06:38 PM

Wow lucky!!! We only have Target around here for maternity stuff, and they are expensive! So we check goodwill twice a week to see if they have anything in my size. Most of my stuff from my pregnancy with my son is just normal dresses and clothes that are super stretchy.