JustMommies Message Boards

JustMommies Message Boards (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/)
-   Due Date Club of October 2014 (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2018-due-date-club-october-2014/)
-   -   Oh the ignorance (http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f2018-due-date-club-october-2014/2722594-oh-ignorance.html)

bugz June 4th, 2014 02:23 PM

Oh the ignorance

My DF's parents have been telling me all day that I need to get rid of our kitties. Here is there reason... They have a cousin who got cat scratch fever while pregnant and because of that her son has downs syndrome... :eyebrow: Sure. I'm not an expert on downs syndrome at all, but a disease like that isn't going to throw in an extra chromosome. And even if it could, it sure as heck won't do it at 20 weeks :rollseyes:. I wish people who at least research stuff before freaking pregnant women out about everything. They also think we should get rid of all the other pets (none of which are dangerous to pregnant women) because "animals aren't good for pregnancy and they want me to have a good pregnancy". I told them he is completely healthy and looked perfect, but they still think he could develop 3 heads or something.

Ami89 June 4th, 2014 03:05 PM

Re: Oh the ignorance

I'm setting up the crib early to see what my BF cat will do, and see if I need to take measure to keep the cat out(and that has nothing to do with being pregnant.) other than my messing with the liter, pregnant an animal mix fine I thought.

bugz June 4th, 2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ami89 (Post 28104960)
I'm setting up the crib early to see what my BF cat will do, and see if I need to take measure to keep the cat out(and that has nothing to do with being pregnant.) other than my messing with the liter, pregnant an animal mix fine I thought.

We'll be putting this baby/pet gate up across the bedroom to keep the cats out (of the crib). Our cats can't jump it and can't get through it when the cat door is closed. Even cleaning the cat litter is fine as long as you take extra precautions like cleaning every 12-24 hours and wearing gloves. Our cats don't go outside so they don't have toxoplasmosis anyway. Some people just believe everything they hear and don't bother to look it up.

AmyLM June 4th, 2014 03:43 PM

Um..yeah, cats dont' cause Down Syndrome. lol Try not to get too frustrated with them. They want you and their grandson to be as healthy as can be! But, trust me, I know how annoying ignorant comments are. My mom asked if they could do surgery in utero to "fix" the Down syndrome. Ignorant? yes. Annoying? Absolutely. But, she's concerned so, I can't hold it against her too much.

~*Bethy*~ June 4th, 2014 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugz (Post 28104993)
We'll be putting this baby/pet gate up across the bedroom to keep the cats out (of the crib). Our cats can't jump it and can't get through it when the cat door is closed. Even cleaning the cat litter is fine as long as you take extra precautions like cleaning every 12-24 hours and wearing gloves. Our cats don't go outside so they don't have toxoplasmosis anyway. Some people just believe everything they hear and don't bother to look it up.

My dogs are small enough to walk through the bottom part :lol:

Like Amy said, try not to be frustrated with them - just put your foot down and tell them that having a baby does not mean you need to abandon your pets. I wore a mask and gloves when I cleaned our litter box when I was pregnant with Ian - and he turned out normal ;)

bugz June 4th, 2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*Bethy*~ (Post 28105050)
My dogs are small enough to walk through the bottom part :lol:

Like Amy said, try not to be frustrated with them - just put your foot down and tell them that having a baby does not mean you need to abandon your pets. I wore a mask and gloves when I cleaned our litter box when I was pregnant with Ian - and he turned out normal ;)

The dog that we bought it for is a large breed (rough collie) and 50lbs, HE can squeeze through that small door lol. It failed for him.

It's kind of funny, they believe all these weird things but don't think there is anything wrong with a used car seat. I said we have to buy that new and explained why but MIL still thinks used is fine. She also thinks babies have to have a bassinet because cribs are too big? I don't know where that came from!

AmyLM June 4th, 2014 05:39 PM

yeah but you have to understand that she's probably from a generation that didn't have carseats and "look, everyone turned out just fine..." ;)

as far as cribs or bassinets go, she probably used a bassinet. I'm under the impression that kids don't need either. They just sleep with me. :)

oneandonecoming June 4th, 2014 05:52 PM

Welcome to the world of dealing with your in laws who know absolutely everything about your child and, of course, that means knowing more than you do. I promise, it only gets worse from here on out. ;)

pr1madona June 4th, 2014 06:36 PM

The things people say lol. I work with animals and the only precautions I have to take is to avoid handling cats, because I don't have toxo antibodies anymore. And a lot of the cats that come into the ER are outside cats. If I get cat scratch fever, I simply take antibiotics just like any other bacterial infection. Even when I worked at the zoo I just was careful to wash my hands well.

AlyssaMyahJulian June 5th, 2014 04:55 AM

I was a vet tech before babies and I worked in a vet office the whole time I was pregnant with my first. The only thing your ob will warn you about is changing litter pans.

littlecloud June 5th, 2014 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugz (Post 28105086)
The dog that we bought it for is a large breed (rough collie) and 50lbs, HE can squeeze through that small door lol. It failed for him.

It's kind of funny, they believe all these weird things but don't think there is anything wrong with a used car seat. I said we have to buy that new and explained why but MIL still thinks used is fine. She also thinks babies have to have a bassinet because cribs are too big? I don't know where that came from!

Haa! I can see older people I know with this same reasoning. My dad for example would have no problem whatsoever buying a used car seat at a garage sale (and note that he doesn't think they're necessary in the first place) but at the same time believes all kinds of stories that defy reason and science.