My Story

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM
NewMommy!'s Avatar Regular
My bf and I have been together for over 4 years. At the end of April, he told me that he hated the city we live in and wasn't happy here. It ended in a big fight and we broke up. After a couple weeks we kind of made up. It was like we were together but only until he moved which was supposed to be the end of May. Well, bf has an 8 year old daughter here and there were some issues with visitation. BEcause of that, bf stayed longer. Then...a week ago I found out i was pregnant. I am just over 7 weeks. So he is staying here permanently now.

BF never wanted to leave me but I had resigned myself to the fact that he was moving and I was trying to move on. Now I'm pregnant. It caught us both off guard. We are both happy but worried at the same time. I've had 2 miscarriages so I don't think this pregnancy has really sunk in yet. We're not getting too excited and we're not telling people.

So here we are...no health insurance. I don't know how we are going to afford this. I don't qualify for Medicaid so that's out. We both work full time but I'm always broke! lol

If anyone has any words of advice/wisdom, please share! I really don't know how we're going to do this!!!
June 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM
sara~b's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to sara~b
First off ((((((((HUGS))))))))))) and congrats and sticky dust! Second off, if you are pregnant and without health insurance then there is no reason you should be denied medicaid. You need prenatal care so at the very least get to a women's clinic or Planned Parenthood for some vitamins and a check up. GL!

Running for my health and sanity!
PR's: 5k-25:05 (old PR 25:10), 5M-45:03 (old PR - 47:22), 10k - 52:00 (approximate - training), HM-2:25:58 (ran a 2:17:36 during marathon), Full- 4:49:25 (old PR -5:49:40), 50k-7:05:56, 50M-13:31:14, 100k- 18:59:31 (old PR 20:56)
(All of these PR's are going down this season!)

My Pregnancy Chart: http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/1c6297
June 27th, 2008, 09:46 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I totally agree with the PP. Medicaid covers pregnant women w/o health insurance. Im sorry for you losses as well. Hopefull this will be a turning point! Congrats and welcome to unplanned pregnancy!

June 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
NewMommy!'s Avatar Regular
According to my state guidelines, I make too much to qualify for Medicaid. It says that for a family of 2, the income maximum is $1500 a month. I make more than that by myself...

Why can't I just win the lottery? hehe
June 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Veteran
Hi newmommy and congratulations! I wouldn't try and hang your hat on winning the lottery, that's for sure!
Things always happen for a reason, even some of these "suprise" babies. If you've got your head screwed on, look for the bargains and don't buy into the crap that us new mommies sometimes subject our little finances to, you'll be right. Babies don't cost much unless you make them cost heaps.
June 28th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Veteran
Honey! I am in the SAME boat. We have no idea how we are going to afford this. We both make too much money to qualify for ANY assistance and it seems like we are ALWAYS broke! ***! I do have health coverage thank goodness. I tried to see if I could at least get WIC and alas, state guidlines...I make too much.

BF and I are in quite a tumultuous relationship and this was TOTALLY unplanned. He is acting like a jerk right now sooo, I am just doing what I can to ensure a happy and healthy pregnancy and that is exactly what you need to do to. It will all work out in the end girlie.

I agree mommyrach...this is my first, but I know how o bargain shop so I don't expect my little one to be *that* expensive.

Daddy was white as a ghost when he saw my little heart beating and that's hard to do!
June 28th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Quote:
According to my state guidelines, I make too much to qualify for Medicaid. It says that for a family of 2, the income maximum is $1500 a month. I make more than that by myself...

Why can't I just win the lottery? hehe[/b]
I would check and see if there are some cheap medical insurance. What state are you in? Because in CA no matter what your income if you have no insurance you can qualify for medicaid and its just for pregnancy after your pregnancy is over so is the insurance.

June 28th, 2008, 09:12 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Quote:

Why can't I just win the lottery? hehe[/b]
I would check and see if there are some cheap medical insurance. What state are you in? Because in CA no matter what your income if you have no insurance you can qualify for medicaid and its just for pregnancy after your pregnancy is over so is the insurance.
[/b]
I would apply because i was told unless you make tons then you can get medicaid for pregnant women and until 6 weeks postpartum.Its worth a shot! Theres alot of things that factor into it a case worker told me its not so cut and dry from what she said and its not a one size fits all thing
June 28th, 2008, 10:37 PM
I was just talking to my mom who is a nurse and deals with insurance all the time. Anyways all pregnant women without insurance qualify for just medicaid that covers your pregnancy only. She said hospitals would rather you have that than not have prenatal care and have sick babies. Since it costs more to take care of a sick baby than pay for insurance for pregnant women. I would look into just the pregnancy portion and not medicaid as a whole. good luck hun!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search