Drowning at work

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2005, 06:08 PM
Regular
I am 26 years old and recently became pregnant by suprise. Unfortunately, I have a very strenuous job and I am not sure how much longer I should work there. So far the doctor I have talked to said I should "listen to my body" whatever that means. My boss seems to think I can continue until my third trimester, and all the websites I have visited do not give advice on jobs nearly as strenuous as mine. I work in four day shifts from approximately 6am until 11pm and only recieve about 6 hours of sleep a night while at work. When I am up, I am walking or standing about half the time, and that's taking it easy. Ever since I have been feeling the fatigue from pregnancy I cannot function by the end of my shift and I feel ABSOLUTELY miserable. I do not want to quit because I need the health insurance now more than ever, but i do not want to injure myself or my baby either. Besides that, I have only been working at this job (my first real job) for four months and I do not feel that I have built a substantial enough resume to find another job anytime soon with health benefits. I am going to talk to my boss again when I go back to work, but if it does not work out I don't know what I'll do. Any advice?

BTW-I have a B.A. in Psychology, a B.S. in Criminal Justice, and an M.A. in Forensic Psychology all from top schools. Also, I live in the Charlotte, NC area so if anyone knows of any desk job openings with health benefits I'm a diligent worker.
December 6th, 2005, 06:19 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
First of all welcome to JM and congrats! What your dr means when she says listen to your body is this :
Quote:
Ever since I have been feeling the fatigue from pregnancy I cannot function by the end of my shift and I feel ABSOLUTELY miserable.[/b]
If you are still in your first trimester and you feel like this then can you imagine how you will feel in 2-4 months. You are gonna barely recover from one shift before the next one starts again. I know I couldnt work the hours you are working. You have a wonderful educational background. Something recruiters would kill for. And you live in a decent sized city. I'm sure if you put your resume out there you will have no trouble finding another job. Good luck to you.

December 7th, 2005, 10:47 AM
mommytutu's Avatar mom to Emma & Jacqueline
You should definately talk to your boss, and your doctor. Is there any way you can temp. change hours within the same company? Remember, you need lots of rest to keep you and your baby healthy!!

December 7th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe they would be willing to change your hours or quite possibly give you a desk job for half the day. BTW you do have a great educational background I would love to have a job in forensics!
December 7th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would talk to your doctor. Your body seems to be telling you that you are doing to much. And you definetlly need more sleep while you can get it. I am in my 3rd trimester, anout ready to pop and I only get about 5 hours of sleep just because of how uncomfortable I am. Trust me, the sleep is important. As far as getting benefits from another job it will be really hard since you are already pregnant. Pregnancy is considered a pre-existing condition. But if need be you could apply for other health insurance that you pay a minimal amount and the government helps out with the rest. You seem very smart so do you research and get drunk of information so that you and your baby will get the best care possible. Good luck and congrats on your pregnancy.

December 8th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I know the feeling....I have a strenuous job as well. I am the IT dept for a manufacturing facility making titanium and rubber products using nano-technology. I'm constantly running wires, crawling on the floor, running back and forth, listening to people gripe about their computers not working, etc... I worry sometimes that the stress is going to cause a problem with me or the baby.

I don't think I can find another job atm even with a couple of computer degrees (bsba computer science and bs computer networking) simply because I'm pregnant though I would love to work somewhere else. The chemicals in this plant scares me to death but I have a huge office that's really vented.

Just remember that your energy comes back to you during your 2nd trimester so it won't seem as bad as it is right now.

Does your company offer disability (either long or short term) because pregnancy is considered a disability? It doesn't pay much (I make more in one day than it pays for the whole week) but it's better than nothing. I plan on going on short term disability right before the baby is born (and of course after - maternity leave).

I love my 3 girls and little boy:

Mom to Jessica - 19 yrs old, Amber - 18 yrs old, Sebastian - 2 months

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search