Significant Others Reactions

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2008, 08:50 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
I am new to this. My husband & I just found out Friday that we are expecting, unplanned. I am wondering how others husband or significant others took the news. How long it took them to come around to the idea?
I guess I am hoping there is someone to talk to about this.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy
August 19th, 2008, 10:12 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My husband was so nervous with our first. He almost passed out when I showed him the test. He didnt want to talk baby or anything. At our 1st u/s he cried. Seeing that little baby wiggling on the screen meant everything to him! How is your husband taking the news?

August 19th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Well he is really shocked, but other than that I really dont know. He really hasnt said much, he is kind of out there in his own world, he really hasnt talked much about anything since I told him. I guess I'm scared since he isnt talking much. He is out of town with work till Friday night right now.
Do you think it is normal for him to be like this? How long do you think till he comes around?

August 20th, 2008, 02:05 AM
Regular
I think its normal. Men are weird!! Lol We will never truly understand them
My boyfriend passed out and vomited when he found out, his first words were 'we cant have it'
Its been nearly a month and he's had a lot of time to think about it.
They just tend to get used to the idea i think & then get excited etc.

August 20th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
I don't think it has hit home with Brian yet.

When I told him that I was late he was like don't tell me that. But things will fall in place.
August 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Ok even with this little input I feel better. I guess I shouldnt think he would become excited like me overnight. Thanks

So how long ago did you find out? When is your due date. Mine isn't till April 24th

August 20th, 2008, 09:52 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Im due with our 2nd Nov 25th. Im sure he will come around its a lot to let sink in especially since you were not planning it. DH came around when I was about 9 weeks at our 1st u/s. With our 2nd he was shocked and excited.

August 20th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Im due with our 2nd Nov 25th. Im sure he will come around its a lot to let sink in especially since you were not planning it. DH came around when I was about 9 weeks at our 1st u/s. With our 2nd he was shocked and excited.[/b]
Thanks. I guess it really hasnt been long at all, only be a week on Friday sine I dropped the bomb. I'm hoping the US will make it all sink in. I just need to relax I think. I'm running kinda high emotions obviously. It has been nice to talk about it thanks.

August 20th, 2008, 05:33 PM
I am due Feb 28th. Things will get better. And once you see the baby and hear the heartbeat it just melts your heart!
August 20th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Bella_Luna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My DB and I were obviously both shocked about it . When we first found out he was supportive but it took him a long time to come around to the idea of keeping it. He didn't want it at all. He was always talking about how we should start looking into adoption and a few times even eluded to the fact that he might break up with me because having a child right now would "totally inhibit him from doing what he wanted to do in life". But over time he started to come around to the idea and when I was 14 weeks and had my first ultrasound he really wanted to see the pictures. The last time we saw each other he told me he wanted to feel his baby kicking, and he was kissing my tummy and saying that the baby deserved kisses too. lol. Now he is looking forward to being a father and even told me that if I ever broke up with him for whatever reason he wouldn't want his parental rights taken away I think men just have to come around in their own time. Eventually they do but sometimes it takes awhile. I've found in relationships that men like to feel manly and they want to feel like they thought of something or came to a conclusion about something all by themselves.

August 21st, 2008, 08:48 AM
Quote:
My DB and I were obviously both shocked about it . When we first found out he was supportive but it took him a long time to come around to the idea of keeping it. He didn't want it at all. He was always talking about how we should start looking into adoption and a few times even eluded to the fact that he might break up with me because having a child right now would "totally inhibit him from doing what he wanted to do in life". But over time he started to come around to the idea and when I was 14 weeks and had my first ultrasound he really wanted to see the pictures. The last time we saw each other he told me he wanted to feel his baby kicking, and he was kissing my tummy and saying that the baby deserved kisses too. lol. Now he is looking forward to being a father and even told me that if I ever broke up with him for whatever reason he wouldn't want his parental rights taken away I think men just have to come around in their own time. Eventually they do but sometimes it takes awhile. I've found in relationships that men like to feel manly and they want to feel like they thought of something or came to a conclusion about something all by themselves. [/b]
I think you're right, he has to come around on his own. I am happy he never once mentioned anything about not keeping the baby. We are married so that would be stupid & ridiculous if he had done that.

August 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
I am glad that he has come around to the idea
August 23rd, 2008, 10:51 AM
Veteran
My SO and I were really shocked when we found out last year. He just held me and said "Everything will be okay".
August 25th, 2008, 12:20 AM
jeromysgrl's Avatar Veteran
My DH and I had only been dating 3 months when I found out I was prego! When I told him, he just squeeked, and asked what I was going to do (i kept it) then I did not hear from him for 6 weeks!!!! When he did come around again, he was okay, and he delt with it great. He is a wonderful father, and 8 years later he still apologizes for the way he acted.

August 25th, 2008, 07:37 AM
Story's Avatar French Canadian
all your stories cheer me up
Thank you so much ladies!

Mom to Maèva (11), Nadjat (9) and Klaus (5)

August 28th, 2008, 12:49 PM
GSchneider's Avatar Veteran
I was the one shocked almost to the point i was devastated... He on the other hand was ecstatic about it which really helped. Now we are both happy and anxious.

</div>
August 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Veteran
Mine actually went over wayy better than I anticipated. Now he was still in denial a bit until I went to the Dr.. BUT....

It has been no secret that I wanted another child. I have 3 from a previous relationship and I wanted one with my DH, he said three was enough, and regardless, now was not the time, so I wasn't trying, but I feared when it happened that he would think I had done it on purpose.

I walked outside to take clothes off the line and said, "Honey, I'm pregnant" He said "what, no you aren't".. I said "Yes, I am, I peed on a stick and it was positive" (I actually hadn't yet, but I JUST NEW, and figured let him get mad, get over it and then if I was wrong it would be a relief... well I was right.. anyway..) Back to the story... He said "great, that's the last thing we need" To which I started crying and said "it's not like I did it on purpose" He walked over to me, gave me a hug and said "I know, honey, don't worry we'll make it work it will be alright." Totally NOT what I expected from him. After that he kept saying things like " we can't tell people anything until we know for sure" etc.. after that I did get several positives and kept showing him but he still insisted we knew nothing for sure until my first Dr's appointment. Anyway, I guess now I should introduce myself to this forum lol since I had to go and butt in with my story.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search