How to break it to the family

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2005, 10:15 AM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How did you all break the news to your family? DH is really nervous about how his family will react to us being pregnant with #6. They think we are great parents, and we can afford another one, we just weren't planning on having any more. Also they are very anti baby to begin with. Most of them are still living the party life.

Any creative ideas on how to break the news?

December 23rd, 2005, 05:57 PM
TylerJ1029's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I guess you can go 1 of 2 routes. The really excited route--ie make Kiera a shirt saying she's gonna be a big sister or give them u/s pics. I mean how can they be upset when they see a cutie like Kiera wearing a big sister shirt.

Or you can just flat out tell them and deal with the comments and looks.

Good luck either way

December 24th, 2005, 07:26 AM
MamaAshley's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats on baby #6! How old are your kids? Your DD is beautiful!

I felt this way about telling everyone I was preggo with #3. I had #1 at age 20, that was a shocker to my family, but they were so excited, then #2 came along and they thought, okay, well, she wants brianne to have a brother, but now that #3 is coming along, and #1 is only 2 years old, and #2 is 1 year old, they were a little shocked. It's more my family than his, he's older than me by almsot 4 years.. He's the oldest 5 kids, so his parents don't think it's too many kids, but I only have one brother, who in fact thinks i'm crazy for even having any kids so young. BUT, I took the excited approach, I called everyone or my mom told some people, and no one really said more than "your'e nuts" but I jsut say "How can I be nuts? Look at the amazing kids I have?" They make comments sometimes, but I don't care, I'm happy, my kids are happy, we aren't suffering finanically, so it's OUR choice. I would tell your family flat out, or in some cute way, an dif they say something like "Your negative comments aren't welcome, but thanks for the support" or something,t hat will usually shut someone up! LOL Good luck and CONGRATS AGAIN!

Ashley, pre-RN student, birth doula and busy SAHM to Brianne 6, Colin 5, Kylie 4,
Bryson 2,and our lil man Noah Alexander turns one year on 7/5/10!

December 24th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Mommy2Ethan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am almost 6 months.. and i just told my Family like 2 wks ago.. they all took it well...i like tylers idea of the shirt~!

Ethan Michael 4/13/2006 8 lbs 12 oz 19 inches
Hunter Evan 7/29/2010 9 lbs 1 oz 20 1/2 inches
~Having a baby on my chest being serenaded by my beating heart is nothing short of amazing...~

December 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Regular
Quote:
How did you all break the news to your family? DH is really nervous about how his family will react to us being pregnant with #6. They think we are great parents, and we can afford another one, we just weren't planning on having any more. Also they are very anti baby to begin with. Most of them are still living the party life.

Any creative ideas on how to break the news?[/b]

Hi there!

I was pregnant with my 6th and it had been 9 years since the last one was born.. so imagine what i was feeling.. yea i hadnt planned it... and i was a bit scared to tellmom.. so i told my lil sister.. she was cool with it.. I live over seas so i dont get to talk to mom often but anyway, my sister called mom and spilled the beans...she was very happy about it and all the other relatives were too! it was odd cause everyone thought that I'd be finished having kids.. but then i miscarried at 9 weeks.. and now that that happened,, I think we will try for a 6th baby... i just have to wait like 2 more cycles to try again
December 28th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Kierasmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for all the ideas!!

Quote:
Congrats on baby #6! How old are your kids? Your DD is beautiful![/b]
Thanks!

Christian(my step son)12 yrs
Michael 8 yrs
Devon 7 yrs
Nick 2 yrs
Kiera 7 months

December 31st, 2005, 10:29 AM
Melz's Avatar Team Edward
I told my family by shirt .. Only I wore it.. It said "Bun in the Oven" It took them a while to actually read the shirt but at least I didnt have to tell them if they didnt figure it out then its there own fault.. lol

Good Luck!

January 1st, 2006, 09:33 AM
Cindy's Avatar Veteran
I bought my two kids shirts. One said, "I'm the Big Brother" and had his name on it, and Dorothy's said, "I'm the Big Sister" and had her name on it. I made pregnancy announcement photo cards at Shutterfly saying, "Alexander and Dorothy (along with their Mommy and Daddy, would like to announce a new edition to their family due in June. Mommy and Daddy thought that we were enough, but obviously God felt we need one more baby to love in our famiy." and than I mailed them out to everyone. They are really cute.

Yep. I'm a chicken, so I did announcements. I think everyone will like them though. I just mailed them out so we will see. We can't afford another one really, and that is why I'm afriad of getting the "look" from the parents, but I'm hoping they will be happy anyway.

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
January 2nd, 2006, 11:21 AM
Veteran
Hey,
Well, as my pregnancy was an unplanned one, I was really scared to tell my family since I'm still pretty young and was only with my guy for about 5 months. (But we just on Christmas celebrated our 9 month!!)...I bought my mom and sister each a card. The one to my mom said "Congratulations on your new Grandchild..." and the one to my sister had a picture of stick man + stick girl = baby carriage... and on the inside said Congratulations! (then I added Aunty on there)....
My mom started to read her card out loud "Congratulations on your new Grandchild...." then she paused, looked at me, looked at the card again, "Grandchild??" then finallly got it! She jumped up and said "YOU'RE PREGNANT!!??? OMG!" and she started crying and came and gave me the biggest hug ever! (her tears were happy ones!)
My sister was a little more reserved but she still cried a bit and gave me a hug and a big congrats!

All this to just say that you'll find your own way of telling them and if they were supportive all the other times you told them you were expecting, then they'll be just as supportive this time. And if for whatever reason they're not as much this time, so what! As much as that would suck, once they see that little baby and get to hold him/her, they'll forget all about why they weren't happy in the first place.

Congrats on the new little addition! Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!

Take care!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search