Insurance vs. Medicaid

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 12th, 2006, 07:37 AM
amandals
Need help regarding Medicaid vs. Health insurance. May quit my job soon and my health insurance is not so great. Want to hear about your experiences with Medicaid. Have heard some positive things -- want to get both sides before I jump ship on the health insurance. (Insur. includes high deductible and 20% co-insurance)
January 12th, 2006, 09:00 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love medicaid so far I have not had any problems with it.
When I first found out I was pregnant I had a job but no insurance so I got lucky and got medicaid. Then I ended up quittin the job. But it has covered all my dr visits and my meds I just have to pay $1 per prescription. And it covered when I had to go to the ER over kidney stones. : ) Hopefully it will still go smoothly when i have the baby!
Good Luck!

January 12th, 2006, 10:13 AM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
We don't have medicaid in Canada but we do have a real good medical system...
January 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved medicaid and wish that I could get it now. I make too much money now to be able to get it. The worst part about it is having to go through reviews on your income/status every few months or so. Also, some DR's don't take medicaid so you are stuck getting what's available (in a small town that sucks). The other thing is that it doesn't cover dental for adults except for things like pulling a tooth.

I have decent medical insurance now and I love the fact that I can pick and choose my doctor however I hate the fact that I've got to worry about co-pays and benefit limits and stuff like that.

I love my 3 girls and little boy:

Mom to Jessica - 19 yrs old, Amber - 18 yrs old, Sebastian - 2 months
January 12th, 2006, 04:05 PM
1shortmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to 1shortmomma Send a message via MSN to 1shortmomma Send a message via Yahoo to 1shortmomma
When I was pregnant with my 1st I was unmarried and was waitressing so I didn't have insurance through work. I got medicaid. They covered ALL of my medical bill and ALL of my daughter's medical bills....she was born premature and was in the NICU for 4 weeks.

January 20th, 2006, 01:21 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
I had it first time around. My husband recently got insurance, though. Instead of everything being free, we now have $20 copays and 20% of hospital visits, which really upsets me, because I am of the school of thought that, so long as my pregnancy goes smoothly, I don't need to be paying a doctor every few weeks to tell me what I already know (and talk down to me because he doesn't agree with how I feel about pregnancy issues). That's another story though...!
If I qualified still, I'd take the medicaid.

Quote:
We don't have medicaid in Canada but we do have a real good medical system...[/b]
...that I SO envy!!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

January 20th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to mommy gatita
i have been on medicaid for the longest time due to the fact that i am on ssi, and so far with my pregnancies its been great. i do go to the hospital clinic, but i love it, the doctors are wonderful and do not treat me differently. my own personal ob/gyn at the hospital is the head of the ob department, so i lucked out, its also paying for my neonatolgist, which would be a small fortune. i get a u/s at every appt, so its been a blessing. my kids are on the kid care, which is meidcaid with the hmo, and so far so good, i love their doctors, they are great. if it weren't for the insurance i would no way be able to afford my meds every month which come to over a thousand dollars. the only thing that stinks is the eyeglasses, lol, but other than that i so cannot complain.

January 20th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
Well I have insurance and medicaid both.. They bill my insurance first and then what is left over medicaid picks it up... Only thing that I have found out that alot of the times the doctor or hospital forget to turn things into the medicaid when you have sonograms and labs.. Then you have to call the people who billed you and give them your info... But this is good.. I haven't had to pay any thing on any of my kids... Or miscarriages... And with our income not being that much it is a heaven sent...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search