The Car Problem

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2006, 06:06 PM
Athey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Athey
So, my DH and I have two cars. One of them is his 'project' car and isn't licensed, insured, or well... working.

So that car is sort of in limbo for the 'functional option' category.

Our main char is a 1988 Toyota MR2 and for those that don't know, that is a 2-seater with a rear-engine.

yup... two seats... just two... and NO backseat... or trunk.

There is a front trunk but it's occupied by a tired.

His 'project' car has 4 seats and a hatchback even, so it's got storage room (or it would if he didn't have this huge speaker and stereo thing back there.... ) but the problem with that car is that it was originally an abandoned vehicle and he had to go through all sorts of paperwork and inspections to get it legal for him to have. But for an abonded vehicle to become 'yours' you have to go through a 3-year waiting period so that the old owner has time to come forward if they ever will. So until the 3-years is over, we can't get it licensed in any state OTHER then the one we got it in... which is Washington. But now we live in Oregon. So the thing has to just sit in the garage unless we want to drive back to washington, get an emisitions test, and lie to them and claim we still live in that state.

But to even do THAT we'd have to drive the car (with expired plates) to Washington and hope we don't get pulled over - lol. It's just rediculous.

Plus that car is really unreliable IN TOWN, let alone a 6-hour drive to another state.

So that's barely an option. But the only alternative is to buy a new car and we are so flat broke it's not even funny.

But the MR2 is obviously not an option either. No room for a carseat so the baby would be on MY LAP plus there's no room for a stroller anywhere... it just wouldn't work at all.

Bah... I don't know what to do.

We've got until July to figure out what to do about our project car, but the longer we put it off the more worry is causes and I know we've got to figure something out!

January 20th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Mommy2Ethan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
maybe you can trade it in and get some cash towards a cheap 4 door car? thats always a possibility

Ethan Michael 4/13/2006 8 lbs 12 oz 19 inches
Hunter Evan 7/29/2010 9 lbs 1 oz 20 1/2 inches
~Having a baby on my chest being serenaded by my beating heart is nothing short of amazing...~

January 21st, 2006, 12:45 PM
Wisey
My b/f and I are looking for a new car to. We both have 2 door cars, which isn't that big of a problem but I don't want to have to climb in the back to get the baby in and out everyday. The big problem we have is we both bought our cars in the last year, so we owe alot of money on them. Hopefully a cheap 4 door will come our way!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search