pregnant hairdresser

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 21st, 2006, 09:36 AM
My sister is pregnant, she has just found out. She is extremly excited, but she is unsure of whether being a hairdresser during the first 7and a half months is gonna harm the baby or not. We have considered ammonia, but cant seem to find any links or information on it. The problem is if my sister is going to get maternity leave with pay she must work for the first 7 and a half months. If anyone has any information please please get back to us, it would be greatly appreciated.
January 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
First of all, your sister needs to go through and figure out what chemicals she and her baby are going to be exposed to and whether or not they were dangerous. Asking a doctor and reading the bottle for recommendations is the best way to figure that out. I've always read that perming your hair and full head dyes were a "no-no". She would be exposed to it every day. I would at least make sure that she wears gloves (and maybe even a mask for the really strong chemicals) when handling chemicals.

Secondly, your sister is protected by the law on her pregnancy. Her employer cannot discriminate her just because she is pregnant. I would check into that since the law only protects larger companies (those with 50 or more employees) however I could be wrong on that. If she cannot work around the chemicals, then it would be up to the employer to find her work with the same status and same pay.

Have your sister check with OSHA, too. They have little pins/badges that you wear for a day or two that measures the dangerous levels of chemicals in the work place. I work in a factory with lots of chemicals floating around. The little badge indicated that no harmful chemicals were floating around...it just smelled bad.

I wish your sister the best of luck and I hope everything turns out the best for her.

I love my 3 girls and little boy:

Mom to Jessica - 19 yrs old, Amber - 18 yrs old, Sebastian - 2 months
January 23rd, 2006, 11:39 AM
nat81
I actually read that the chemicals in hair dyes and everything else at the salon are not harmful to the fetus. Most women choose not to get their hair done because if their hightened smell and feel nautious...
January 23rd, 2006, 12:25 PM
Veteran
My hairdresser gave birth to a healthy DD almost a year ago. She did wear gloves when applying dyes and chemicals and had the shampoo girls rinse her clients hair. The only thing she found to be a problem was the smell of some products she used at the salon nauseated her for the first few months of her pg.
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
January 23rd, 2006, 12:29 PM
zoey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A gal at the Aveda I go to had a baby no to long ago and she worked well into her pregnancy. Im sure it was hard being on her feet, but she did just fine.
Best of luck to her!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search