Pregnant with an IUD in place? Will i miscarry if removed?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I've been experiencing signs of pregnancy with the Mirena that I've just had put in 2 months ago.

*Tender sore breasts
*Sleepy all the time
*Nausea
*Lower back pain
*Hip soreness
*Cramping
*Missed period for 22 days now
*Spasms in my uterus (twitches)
*Stuffy nose
*Headaches

I'm not sure what is going on with me. Its scary to ever THINK of pregnancy, this is why we got the IUD anyways...then to read that the chances of getting pregnant on the IUD is 8 out of 1,000...when just last year it was 1 out of 1,000...they estimate that there are 12 million woman world wide that have a IUD....I honestly think the chances are HIGHER then what they tell us...

Back in February, I was in labor with my daughter...for 9 hours straight, I heard the woman next door to me trying to deliver her son. When I walked out of the room after having my daughter, I was stopped by the woman's mother. She said that her daughter got pregnant while having the Mirena...only months after having it inserted!!!!!!! And here I am, Wondering why I even got it....The woman ended up having a c-section and delivering a VERY HEATHLY 10 pound 10 ounce baby boy hours later...

So it is possible to have the Mirena tooken out and having a healthy pregnancy...

I'm still wondering what's happening to me and what symptoms everyone was getting before realizing they needed to take a pregnancy test?

I took a test last Friday (exactly one week ago) and it was negative....But still feeling worse then ever....

Good luck to all the Mom's that are pregnant with the IUD (any type) and keep us posted!!!

-Brandi-
June 26th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I've been experiencing signs of pregnancy with the Mirena that I've just had put in 2 months ago.

*Tender sore breasts
*Sleepy all the time
*Nausea
*Lower back pain
*Hip soreness
*Cramping
*Missed period for 22 days now
*Spasms in my uterus (twitches)
*Stuffy nose
*Headaches

I'm not sure what is going on with me. Its scary to ever THINK of pregnancy, this is why we got the IUD anyways...then to read that the chances of getting pregnant on the IUD is 8 out of 1,000...when just last year it was 1 out of 1,000...they estimate that there are 12 million woman world wide that have a IUD....I honestly think the chances are HIGHER then what they tell us...

Back in February, I was in labor with my daughter...for 9 hours straight, I heard the woman next door to me trying to deliver her son. When I walked out of the room after having my daughter, I was stopped by the woman's mother. She said that her daughter got pregnant while having the Mirena...only months after having it inserted!!!!!!! And here I am, Wondering why I even got it....The woman ended up having a c-section and delivering a VERY HEATHLY 10 pound 10 ounce baby boy hours later...

So it is possible to have the Mirena tooken out and having a healthy pregnancy...

I'm still wondering what's happening to me and what symptoms everyone was getting before realizing they needed to take a pregnancy test?

I took a test last Friday (exactly one week ago) and it was negative....But still feeling worse then ever....

Good luck to all the Mom's that are pregnant with the IUD (any type) and keep us posted!!!

-Brandi-
June 28th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Veteran
popping in from the Aug DDC..I had the IUD parguard, when i found out i was pregnant. i was debating if i would MC if i had it removed after speaking to my OB she assured me that i had a better chance to keep the pregnancy if i had it removed early..the earlier the better...i had it removed at 6 weeks, but there is always a chance that you may MC..so keep that in mind..but i just gave birth a little boy this june.
July 15th, 2009, 11:45 AM
Wow..i just made a similar post about this in another forum.

For those of you on Mirena, often the symptoms if you are not pregnant, can be caused by the hormones in the IUD. It can really mess with your system.

I on the other hand have a Nova-T, non-hormonal IUD. I've had it about a year and a half, and just this past month have been experiening symptoms which are causing me concern. I am really quite surprised to see just how many ladies have become pregnant on the IUD while it has been still inserted...

To the OP, I have read many instances of IUD's being removed when pregnancy is discovered and the fetus surviving with no problems what so ever.

Best of luck everyone...including myself!
August 26th, 2009, 10:04 PM
hello
just wanted to say that i became pregnant on the copper iud and they told me that had to remove it but when they examined me they could not find it and they told me that I probable expelled it. So They did and ultra sound and nothing. Then when i went into labor they examined me before admitting me and they pulled out my IUD. I could not believe it. The nurse said shes seen this a few times. She told me that she even has seen it loged in babies heads or them coming out holding on to it. so weird. well i have an iud again and i think i may be pregnant again with my iud. 4th kid! good luck
August 28th, 2009, 06:18 AM
lilflower
I was on the Mirena and ended up pregnant. I had mine taken out at 7wks and ended up having a miscarriage at 14wks, that's actually why XDH and I started TTC again.
October 4th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I am in this position right now and am nervous and scared for my little one.
November 20th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I actually just found out i was pregnant with my paragard iud... I am now 10 weeks and my iud is actually making its way down the cervix. The Dr i am seeing said that 2 other women he has seen also got pregnant with the iud they both had healthy babies. He was able to remove one of the iuds from one lady but had to leave the other one in the other lady because of its location. I am a nervous wreck but you have to believe that what ever happens is GODs will
November 29th, 2010, 08:19 PM
i wanted to let everyone know that in may i got pregnant with an IUD the copper one . i lost the baby . it was a good thing i had lost my job . but now i just found out that im pregnant again . and the first IUD i had for just under 2 years . the second about 4 months . i went to the Dr and hospital for a sono and the IUD is in perfect place just like it should be . im not over weight or under and yet i got pregnant on it twice in one year . can anyone tell me what happen to the if they had the same problem and what happen after it was taken out (the IUD) ?? also the hospital told me yesterday that i will most likely get pregnant every time i use an IUD now . cause once it happens once it will happen again . im that 1% and we are just amazed !
December 2nd, 2010, 07:21 PM
I have heard it is possible....I have 3 children and thought that the Mirana IUD was the best way to go...my youngest is 14 months old and I went for a blood test today...I think I may be pregnant again....all the symptoms except nausea!
December 15th, 2010, 02:13 PM
conley1988
My twins were actually concieved using the paraguard, but it was inserted incorrectly. As soon as I found out at 5 weeks I was pregnant at the hospital they removed it.

My twins were premature but that is also quite common with twin pregnancies.
January 2nd, 2011, 05:03 PM
I just found out on the 31st of December that I am pregnant. This was totally unexpected because I have the IUD. I've had it for 8 years. It's the copper kind of IUD. At the clinic the doctor checked and said he did not feel the strings. I have light dark red/brown discharge. For now I have to wait until tomorrow and schedule an appt with OB and see what they recommend. I'm glad to hear of people that had it removed and were still pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfl25 View Post
I actually just found out i was pregnant with my paragard iud... I am now 10 weeks and my iud is actually making its way down the cervix. The Dr i am seeing said that 2 other women he has seen also got pregnant with the iud they both had healthy babies. He was able to remove one of the iuds from one lady but had to leave the other one in the other lady because of its location. I am a nervous wreck but you have to believe that what ever happens is GODs will
yes, it's God's will. I'm in the situation as you. I don't know how many weeks yet.
January 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
My fiance and I have been using the Mirena IUD, but in early December I went in to the doctors and found I was pregnant with multiples. I had the IUD removed about a week before Christmas and everything is going really well. The pregnancy and all babies are very stable, I think for us, it was hardest finding out we were pregnant when we thought we were safe and then needing to make the decision quickly about whether it was safe to remove the IUD or not.
We also had to send out don't "save the dates" my due date is about 2 days before we had planned our wedding day to be. Everything is changing, but we're both trying to roll with the punches.
June 11th, 2011, 11:33 AM
a day ago i went to the dr to get cheked cuz i've been having my period on and off sins last month he gave me medication to regulate my periond but i had to take a pregnancy test first when i took 3 test they all came back +, and im still bleeding, ive had my iud for 8 years know and never had a problem with it till know dont know what to do or think first thing monday morning ill go back to c dr.

Last edited by KARLA20; June 11th, 2011 at 11:46 AM.
February 8th, 2012, 09:46 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I am 12 weeks pregnant and I got pregnant with the copper IUD. The gynaecologist says he can count on one hand how many times he has seen someone become pregnant with an IUD over 20 years.

I had the IUD removed about 4 hours ago. So far, I don't have any spotting. He said basically to watch over the next week and if it's OK after that then there are no more than the normal risks.

Baby implanted in the upper part of the uterus and the IUD was below but in the correct position.

ETA: I am still pregnant.

Last edited by magz88; February 24th, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
February 18th, 2012, 06:01 AM
I hav 2 kids and have tried every kind of birth control there is and if it didn't make me insane from the hormones it just didn't work I hav had the iud for exactly a yr now and hav ben having symptoms of pregnancy for quite some time at first I told myself that it had to b something else going on since I had finally found something tht worked 4 me but a couple wks ago a began having bad morning sickness all the time and tonight I began having growing pains I havnt bled in 3 months my fiancee is worried about us having another child right now but I don't think I culd handle an abortion if there is a good chance my baby can come out healthy I had one second trimester abortion and swore to myself I would never do it again I just can't do it I know he is upset I'm not sure what I should do exactly
October 1st, 2012, 02:23 PM
i have had an iud for 5 years and I just got it changed. I had unprotected sex less than a week after it was changed. How long do I have to wait to get a blood test to see if I'm pregnant?
October 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My doctor told me that of the 2 pregnancies they have had at their practice where an IUD was still in place both women went on to have a healthy pregnancy and birth. An acquaintance of mine got pregnant TWICE with Mirena in. Apparently her uterus isn't the right shape or something and it slipped down. Anyway, both of her kids are healthy.

It is better to get the IUD out as fast as possible before the mucus plug is very well developed and the sack/placenta get too big. If you leave the mirena in you are almost guaranteeing a miscarriage and/or surgical complications for yourself.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

October 11th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Cannot give anything but anecdotes:
I got pregnant on the ParaGard and was looking to abort. At my pre-procedural consultation, the ultrasound techs and nurse did two ultrasounds--one standard, one trans-vaginal--and a cervical exam and said that the IUD was nowhere near the baby and looked like it would "just slip out." Somewhere, probably an unreliable source, I'd read that removing an IUD during pregnancy could result in miscarriage; figuring I was going to abort anyway, I yanked the **** thing out myself. THIS WAS NOT A SMART IDEA; IT CAN LEAD TO PERFORATION & INFECTION IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL! I didn't miscarry, nor did I abort. Baby is due 12-21-12 and seems totally healthy at every appt. & ultrasound I've had.
November 15th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Im a 22yr old with many symptoms of Pregnancy. I've had the IUD for almost 2yrs now and recently been VERY Nauseated, Tired all the time, have sore breats, missed my period, craving alots of new foods lately, my children have been VERY needy as well. Same symptoms I had with my First and Second Pregnancy. What worries me the most is that I been on Diff meds for my health and not sure if Meds will affect the bby. Hope Results are Negative when I go see my doctor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search