Pregnant with an IUD in place? Will i miscarry if removed?

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2009, 01:16 AM
Hi, I just found out that Im pregnant with the mirena IUD in place. I am only about 4 weeks pregnant (2 weeks past conception), so very early. The doctor said i have to remove the IUD immediately but that it may risk miscarriage. I was wondering if anyone has or knows someone who has gotten preggo with an IUD in and if so what happened. I have an appt on tuesday morning to remove the mirena, but Im nervous that i will miscarry i have found mixed results when searching online on this topic. The doctor says it is about 25% chance to miscarry but from what i read online it seems to be more like a25% chance for the pregnancy to remain viable. If I were to miscarry how soon after the mirena removal will it occur? Any info greatly appreciated thanks.
April 10th, 2009, 05:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i knew it greatly increased your risks but I also, knew that with the IUD you had such a SMALL chance of getting pregnant that researchers havent done much on what happens if you do get pregnant.
April 10th, 2009, 07:30 AM
ThatGirl's Avatar Rawr.
There is a ttc after IUD link above that may be able to answer this better for you. I wish you the best.

Thank you MommaDucks for the AMAZING siggy!
April 10th, 2009, 01:26 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have no advice hun. Im not sure the risks because there are not many studies. I wish you nothing but the best. KUP.

April 12th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to racerbabie6
I dont really know like the other girls said but I would think that you would misscarry pretty much right away but it would not be safe for the baby for it to stay in either..Im sorry I hope everything works out okay

April 13th, 2009, 08:11 AM
Shockednewmama's Avatar Veteran
Hi I am also pregnat with an IUD (paraguard) I had it out on Wednesday and am still pg. It does increese the risk of mc but leaving it in incresses the risk of mc in later trimesters. My dr said it should come out. Boy I am glad that I am not the only one this has happened to.
April 13th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Veteran
I missed a week after they removed my mirena. But I do know that there have been successful pregnancies, both with the mirena in and removed. Also, you may miss naturally if you leave it in. I never had a period with my mirena, so my uterus wasn't prepared to have or "hold" a baby.

April 20th, 2009, 11:33 PM
ang.ie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
keep checking back for an update? Any news?
!

April 21st, 2009, 12:01 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I dont think so. I havent heard anything. Off to check.

April 24th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Regular
My mother conceived my brother with an IUD in place. They were not able to remove it until she was already 9 weeks, and he is a healthy, happy 27 year old and father of 2, now. I think the chances are very slim as long as the doctor knows what they are doing and the IUD is not entangled with the sac or placenta at all. Good luck. <hug>
April 24th, 2009, 01:05 PM
MommaScandalous's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hi, glad this part of the forum is here. I have the Mirena and am a little concerned about a possible pregnancy. Everyone tells you not to worry because the IUD makes your body change so much and your symptoms can be a # of other things. I would like to know what yours were if you don't mind. I've read in so many places that you get a lot of false negatives with home pregnancy tests when you have an IUD so what tipped you off? What made you test? What sent you to the doctor?

I also have cysts now because of my Mirena, and when they arrive the symptoms are very much like pregnancy, and since one grew nearly a month ago I could just be having that happen again. The morning nausea is what worried me though.

Thanks for any feedback!!!!

April 28th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Veteran
I have a friend who had a baby on Mirena.. They removed it early. The chances of miscarriage are higher the later they remove it.. so get that taken care of ASAP!!! Plus I'm a nurse.. worked in OB... successes are higher the earlier they take it out... but there's always a risk... even if you don't have an IUD.
May 1st, 2009, 05:13 PM
Veteran
Wow!!! I thought that this rarely happened! Do they know why? Maybe meds you were on that made it ineffective,etc? I have had mine for 7 months now... I hope everything goes well... Good Luck. You will be in my thoughts..

** Thank you Sharon for My Siggy! **

May 12th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I hate to bring this up again. I am questioning whether or not you can still bleed ever so slightly and be pregnant with the mirena in. I'm still getting the morning sickness and tons of others symptoms. I have headaches which were tradition with my last two pregnancy's. breasts are a little more tender, fatigue, and so on. it didn't seem like a period, and it was like 10 days of spotting or something. my periods in the past were 3 days of regularity. I know IUD can cause a different period and maybe that's what it was. I just feel concern. I'm also bloated and look pregnant. I took a test about 3 weeks ago and it was negative...i just don't test those.

i know i'll hear the "go to the doc" and i should, i just can't take off work right now. i have court friday and that's all the time i can take off right now.

just curious if anyone here can offer feedback.

thanks!!

May 12th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Veteran
Do you have the Mirena in? That one has estrogen, which can make you sick. I got sick on all birth control which is why I can't take it. Odds are if you've had it in for a while, you aren't preg. Most of the time when ppl get pregnant on the IUD its not long after they've had it put in. Same with the Depo shot. It's because the body doesn't adjust quickly.
May 12th, 2009, 10:01 AM
TheyGrowLikeWeeds's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to TheyGrowLikeWeeds
Weird, my computer scrolled down to a later post and I started to respond to that.....sorry. I hope it works out! My doctor told me it never happens. She never knew anyone that got pregnant while on the Mirena. Eitherway, I hope you are ok.

I love my Peanut M&Ms Cameron & Kiefer!!Eliza's Blog

Last edited by TheyGrowLikeWeeds; May 12th, 2009 at 10:05 AM.
May 12th, 2009, 12:24 PM
I don't know what's wrong with me. I guess I keep forgetting that symptoms of Ovarian cysts are pretty much identical to pregnancy. I guess they're just so close I worry. It's like you want to rule out pregnancy first ya know?! I had my first ovarian cyst rupture in January. Oh momma! I was hospitalized but still have ovaries! No surgery! Anyways, here is the list of symptoms with mine shown in red!:

Menstrual irregularities
Pelvic pain — a constant or intermittent dull ache that may radiate to your lower back and thighs
Pelvic pain shortly before your period begins or just before it ends
Pelvic pain during intercourse (dyspareunia)
Pain during bowel movements or pressure on your bowels
Nausea, vomiting or breast tenderness similar to that experienced during pregnancy
Fullness or heaviness in your abdomen
Pressure on your rectum or bladder — difficulty emptying your bladder completely
Frequent Urination

There was something else that talked about the bloating and about how you don't gain weight. That was totally me. I stayed at 112-113 but looked as if I gained 10-12lbs because my stomach was so distended. strange.

Anyways, I guess I had more cysts grow. 12% of Mirena patients get these. I'm among them I guess. I had these symptoms a month ago....you'll notice I posted a few weeks ago...it's like every time my period comes, I get the cysts. It sucks.

Last edited by MommaScandalous; May 12th, 2009 at 12:27 PM. Reason: didn't complete it
May 12th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Veteran
I'm sorry to hear that... I hope it gets better with time!
June 1st, 2009, 09:07 AM
Newbies
Hi I just found out I am also pregnant with the Mirena in place and I was told they have to pull it out, it is more of a risk to leave it in than pull it out. I hope everything works out for you.
June 22nd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
this makes me concerned that there are pregnancies with the IUD. i take a test once a month to make sure im not. i dont get a period anymore either so i dont think my uterus could even maintain a pregnancy (knock on wood)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search