Question about Maternity Leave

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 14th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
So, does anyone know when approximately one should begin their mat leave? I'm stuck here! I can't figure out if I should make my last day May 31st (about one week before my due date) or if it should be earlier just in case Little Miss Fiona decides she's had enough of me in there, and wants to join the rest of the world...I mean how can they really expect us to know when to take it? My work wants me to give them at least 4 weeks notice, which I completely understand, but, how am I to know if I give them 4 weeks and then 2 weeks later, I pop???!!!
Ah! The last thing I want is to go into labour at work!! For one, my "very special" boyfriend can't even go around the block without getting lost, so to rely on him to pick me up is dumb, plus our schedules are totally different, and he doesn't have a car! I take my car to work and he takes the bus...what's he gonna do? Bus it down to my work, get there like an hour and a half later?
Any suggestions? As you can see, this really has me worried!
February 14th, 2006, 06:45 AM
nat81
Normally women leave 2 weeks before their due date. I can't remember where you're from but in Canada, you can leave up to 2 months before your baby is due (that's what I did 'cause I hated my job!)... but then if you choose to go back you'll be going back when baby is 10 months. Anyway, I've known sonme women who have worked up to their due dates as well.
February 14th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm in Canada too...Woohoo! In the prairies! Yeehaw! Winnipeg isn't all that bad though...only during the winter does it really really suck.
Yeah, I forgot they give up to 2 months...Maybe I'll take advantage of that. I'm still not sure if I'll be coming back to this job...I may have a mangement position available to me at a Tanning salon where I used to work...It's less money, but it's so darn easy that I wouldn't be going home crabby after every shift! And my man is buying a house with his bro and I won't really have any bills to pay when that happens because he'll be taking care of the finances at that point, so my cash will be for my stuff only and groceries and whatnot, and of course our precious little Miss Fiona who will be gracing us with her presence in june most likely!!

anyhoo, thanks for the advice! It makes me feel a little better knowing I've got the option of leaving up to two months before!!! Woohooo!!!
February 14th, 2006, 11:32 AM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
see, i tried to convince my bf that we should move to canada just for the maternity leave but he wouldn't go for it. here in the states you get twelve weeks, unpaid, and only if you meet certain criteria. so even if you work up until your water breaks, you still have to be back at work when your baby is only three months old. and because i'm currenly unemplyed because of pregnancy complications and on state assistance, i will have only six weeks to get some sort of muscle tone back after months of either very limited or zero activity, find a new job, and be back in the workforce. it blows. I'm a nursing assistant, and before i got pregnant, i could lift two hundred pound people unassisted. now i haven't been allowed to lift any more than twenty pounds since i was 6w along, and i haven't been out of bed except to pee in over ten weeks. and i will be expected to bounce back and be at the same activity and strength level as prepregnancy in only six weeks! does anyone else see anything wrong with this picture?!
February 14th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Mommy2Ethan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i am going to work up until the last day that i can... so ican spend more time w/ baby. in the u.s its all diffrent depending on what state your in. canada has the best system for this stuff

Ethan Michael 4/13/2006 8 lbs 12 oz 19 inches
Hunter Evan 7/29/2010 9 lbs 1 oz 20 1/2 inches
~Having a baby on my chest being serenaded by my beating heart is nothing short of amazing...~

February 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Holly crap! Is it really like that in the States? We get a full year, no questions asked! But we have crappy winters, so I don't know what's worse...JK!!!
I've actually been trying to talk my man into moving to the states, somewhere nice and warm where I wouldn't ever have to see snow again, but he's dead set against leaving Canada. (To tell you the truth, I honestly think it's because he wouldn't be able to stand being so seperated from his mommy... even though she's a flight attendant and will continue to get the flying benefits even after she retires, so I don't know what his big problem is!!) K well enough of that!
I think I might try to take 2 weeks before my due date, that way I should in theory have two weeks to do the nesting thing and get plenty of rest to build up for what's going to come!!!
February 14th, 2006, 05:36 PM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
hey bigpotbelly, concerning your mil- i know a guy who knows a guy. . . just kidding. . . mostly. hey, don't tell me you've never considered it. maybe not seriously, but . . .
February 15th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Veteran
I agree, maternity leave in the states sucks! I got 6 weeks vacation and 3 weeks sick leave a year but was not allowed to roll it over to the next year, either use it or loose it. I ended up taking 6 months unpaid leave with each of my first two children. At least my employer continued to pay for my health insurance but it would have been nice if I had been allowed to use some of my vacation and sick leave while I was out. I loved my job and continued working for 4 years after my second child was born, then decided the hell with it and became a SAHM
Madeline 9/25/96
Kyle 10/19/04
February 15th, 2006, 07:02 AM
nat81
Here's where you can find all the answers to your questions:
http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/asp/gateway.asp?hr=...al.shtml&hs=tyt
February 15th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Veteran
Send a message via AIM to Chasity82
My work offers nothing as well. We are a small company, so I really dont kow my future, plus I am the only one working right now, DH is staying with kids till he finds another job.

<center>
<a href="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/Chasity2482/DSC00329.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
<a href="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/Chasity2482/DSC00331.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
<center>
<a href="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/Chasity2482/BABY_5.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
<a href="http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c232/Chasity2482/BABY_6.jpg" target="_blank">
</a>
</center>
February 16th, 2006, 07:30 AM
rachel_claire's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via AIM to rachel_claire Send a message via Yahoo to rachel_claire
hey girl!!
'm not sure what the regulations or whatever are in Canada, but usually, at least 1-2 weeks prior to due date...just in case. It's better to be safe than sorry!! Again, it depends on what your employer allows and all that...As for darling boyfriend...no car?! what's up with that?! lol, you'll be going into labor on the bus!!!! good luck with it regardless...hopefully the baby will warn you long before she's planning on coming out so you'llh have plenty of time to get to the hospital!!
February 16th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey Rachel,
Well, he does have his licence, it's just that he moved here from Montreal in july and hasn't gotten a car yet. He's not planning on getting one for a while yet, since he wants to buy a house first. It's no big deal. He takes the bus to work and I get to drive. When I go on mat leave, he'll use my car since I won't really be going anywhere, nor should I be driving while in labor if it does happen while he's at work. He'll just drive down and pick me up...but hopefully he'll be home when it happens. EEEEKK!!! I just hate not knowing when this baby will decide to come join us in the outside world!! But, that's part of the excitement of having a baby, right?
February 17th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
maternity leave? Whats that? I will be working until the contractions start and then I get no paid maternity leave at all. I am saving up a couple of thousand so I can take a few weeks off after she is born but I will be back at least part time within 3 weeks.
February 17th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Veteran
Yes, it is nice up here in canada(and, where I'm from, there is NO snow, actualy, its' pretty nice out here on the west coast!!!)
Anyhow, go as far as you can, that way you can spend more time with your baby. Most 1 timers go overdue(I think I heard that somewhere) so don't worry about that. It does take time (2 weeks) to get the EI started. It is nice if you can, to take a couple weeks, to enjoy the last time your ever gonna sleep in, rest, and basicly do nothing, while you can, I'd recommend it!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search