guestion

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 21st, 2006, 05:43 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i heard its bad to sleep on your back is that true or not? if so then would any of you guys no why its bad? i was just wondering because every morning i wake up on my back and i try all the time to just sleep on my side..thanks for anyones help!

February 21st, 2006, 06:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
K, I read on one of my pregnancy calendars that I follow, that sleeping on your back is not ideal. You should try sleeping on your left side (maybe because that's the side your heart is on,...I dunno!)...reason being is that baby has to struggle with your spine if you're on your back and also, baby can put pressure on a major artery back there and cut off some circulation for you and make you feel light headed. I sleep on my back sometimes, and never found a problem, but most of the time I'm on my side...probably the reason for all my stupid back aches!!! I hate sleeping on my side, but I do it just for the baby...
So my suggestion is do what you've been doing....try to sleep on your side as much as you can, and if you just so happen to wake up on your back, don't beat yourself up about it. Baby is very well protected in there.

Hope that helps!!
February 21st, 2006, 07:11 AM
Wendie
When you get into the late second and the beginning of the third trimester of pregnancy, the baby starts to push on your diaphram. It makes you feel short of breath sometimes for no reason. When laying on your back, the baby pushes even more. It cuts off circulation, making it harder for you to breathe. Trust me, I almost passed out in my 32 week ultrasound from having to lay on my back. I was dizzy for a couple of hours afterwards. Other than that, I am not exactly not sure why they want you to stay off your back in the beginning of the pregnancy.
February 21st, 2006, 07:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Maren
I believe the sleeping on your back reson is so you dont cut of the circulation to your legs and such. You will know if your doing that if its still comfortable i wouldnt worry about it too much but try to stay on your side as well.

Visit my blog to find out how you can earn amazon gift cards
As well as just updates from me on everything!
http://lifeasmaren.blogspot.com/

February 21st, 2006, 07:44 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks a bunch u guys!! you guys r really helpful!!

February 23rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
August2006Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to August2006Mommy
i've read that its not good to sleep on ur back b/c all ur weight will be on your body..leading to back pain...i'm only 18 weeks and finding it so difficult to sleep on my side....so i usually have to shift from my back and my side

February 23rd, 2006, 11:54 AM
Trissylynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Trissylynn Send a message via Yahoo to Trissylynn
I asked my doctor about this and he said to lay however you are comfortable and that your body will know when it needs to move. When i lay on my left side, my left arm falls asleep and my hip starts throbbing. I try but i don't worry about sleeping a certain way. If i worry, i won't sleep at all and i think that's worse! lol

February 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
bigpotbelly hit the nail on the head- lying on your back puts pressure on your vena cava, cutting off circulation to your legs and uterus. she's also right that you don't need to beat yourself up if you wake up on your back- just flip back to your side. might i suggest a body pillow. . . or two. one can go between your knees and under your belly- this will help with backaches. sometimes it's also nice to put one behind you to lean on as well, so you are sort of halfway between your side and back, but keep the other between your knees. keeping your knees separated just a little bit keeps your spine in better alignment.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search