How many of you had the birth defects testing??

Forum: Unplanned Pregnancy

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Unplanned Pregnancy LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 2nd, 2006, 07:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
Hey, Gals!! I'm going to the doctor on March 27th, and I will be having my birth defects testing done. I was just wondering how many of you had it done, and everyone's opinion on the matter!
Northcutt2Be

P.S. I'm really nervous.
March 2nd, 2006, 08:23 PM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
I had it done but did not wish to know the results as it would not make any difference in how I viewed our future.....

The doctor did casually mention everything was great though...
March 3rd, 2006, 03:44 AM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i was thinking about having it done but i decided that its not going to matter because if it did have a birth defect id love my baby just as much as i would if it didnt have anything..im hoping and praying that hes healthy..the doctor said he looked great on the ultrasound...

March 3rd, 2006, 05:33 AM
Wendie
I chose not to have the birth defect testing done. I didn't want to know if something was wrong with my baby. I knew that I would love him just the same if he wasn't perfect. I don't think it matters if someone is perfect or not. Plus, I really wanted to enjoy my pregnancy, not worry about every little thing. And, I didn't want people pushing an abortion on me if something was wrong. It was just easier for me not to know.
March 3rd, 2006, 05:54 AM
Quote:
I chose not to have the birth defect testing done. I didn't want to know if something was wrong with my baby. I knew that I would love him just the same if he wasn't perfect. I don't think it matters if someone is perfect or not. Plus, I really wanted to enjoy my pregnancy, not worry about every little thing. And, I didn't want people pushing an abortion on me if something was wrong. It was just easier for me not to know.[/b]

your son is a cutie!

March 3rd, 2006, 07:02 AM
nat81
You're talking about an amnio right? I chose not to. My doc mentioned the risk of miscariage and that made me realise that I didn't care if my baby had a defect, I wanted her no matter what.
March 3rd, 2006, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had the afp testing and it came back with a 1/40 chance of my baby having down syndrome. I got the level 2 u/s but refused the amnio because of the risk of miscarriage. We plan to keep the baby regardless of how she turns out....and the dr told me it was not medically necessary.

I'm a little worried....but that is not going to make a difference in how much I will/do love my child. I'm glad in the sense that I can learn more about down syndrome to prepare myself and my other children in case it happens. I try not to worry about it, though, because worrying is not going to make one bit of a difference.

I love my 3 girls and little boy:

Mom to Jessica - 19 yrs old, Amber - 18 yrs old, Sebastian - 2 months
March 3rd, 2006, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to MirandasMommy Send a message via Yahoo to MirandasMommy
I think I'm going to do the birth defects testing, but even if there is something wrong with my child I will love it as if it were perfect. But I'm not too worried b/c there's no history of defects in either my or my fiance's families, and I'm not in the high risk category. I go at the end of the month, so I'll let ya'll know how it goes!
Northcutt2Be
March 3rd, 2006, 01:05 PM
i hope everything goes ok and dont forget to keep us updated! all children are beautiful no matter what! i just hope everyones baby turns out great! for everyone!!

March 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
jennyn's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to jennyn
i had some testing done because i am at a higher risk for babies with neural tube defects. i could not have aborted, but it seemed worth it to me because in some cases of spina bifida, you can prevent or reduce permanent disability by having a section rather than a vaginal delivery. it was simple, two blood tests and an u/s by a specially trained technician. this baby is fine, and i was a part of the final study to approve this type of testing when i was pregnant with DD- also perfect. it gave me one less thing to worry about, so that i could move on to other things like disfiguring birthmarks!
March 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM
JuneBug2006's Avatar Forever missing Gracie
Quote:
You're talking about an amnio right? I chose not to. My doc mentioned the risk of miscariage and that made me realise that I didn't care if my baby had a defect, I wanted her no matter what.[/b]
Heh, I hope they are not talking about amnio because that is not what my answer was based on!

I took it as the Maternal Triple Screening that looks for down's syndrome, tri-21, and the other one.....

I would not have an amnio unless it was absolutely necessary without a doubt.
March 4th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didnt have any of the testing except for initial blood work they do when I was like 2 months pregnant. I just was lazy and didnt go get it done. Plus it would have made no difference to me if my son had birth defects.

March 5th, 2006, 07:42 PM
irishxrose
I had the triple screen as well, and everything turned out fine... I was expecting false positives, but I got negative results almost immediately. I think my down sydrome one was 1 in 40,000 or something like that. I had the ultrasound done as well, but that was not voluntary for me. Since I'm taking a bi-polar medication, they have to check his spine a lot, so yeah... anyway I'm rambling. Stupid pregnancy brain.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search